General Movie Discussion Thread

Re: General Movie Discussion Thread

Postby Jedi » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:52 am

Really liked the recent Scorcese Op-ed on Marvel https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/04/opin ... arvel.html

They are sequels in name but they are remakes in spirit, and everything in them is officially sanctioned because it can’t really be any other way. That’s the nature of modern film franchises: market-researched, audience-tested, vetted, modified, revetted and remodified until they’re ready for consumption.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Ach » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:57 am

Fair play to him

He's trying to stay relevant as his movies can't do what marvel have. Save Hollywood.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Fenice » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:27 am

Ach wrote:Fair play to him

He's trying to stay relevant as his movies can't do what marvel have. Save Hollywood.

Burn. Cripps is right though.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Fenice » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:29 am

Also comic books have been telling stories before Hollywood even existed. They’ve talked about sex, race, injustice, pain, loss, redemption, but he can be the stodgy old man that he is, fair play.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Ach » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:39 am

I love how scorsese and that godfather guy who no one remembers have been put in their place since they criticised marvel by the big names of Hollywood.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Jedi » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:00 pm

Ach wrote:I love how scorsese and that godfather guy who no one remembers have been put in their place since they criticised marvel by the big names of Hollywood.

Who made Marvel movies again? I only remember that James Gunn guy, not for his movie, but because he got fired for making pedophile jokes. They're all literal nobodies that no one will remember in 10 to 15 years.
Last edited by Jedi on Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Ach » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:08 pm

soneone name me some Scorsese films. I've probably seen some. Probably even liked them but the fact I dont know they are his films pretty much tells you his views are pointless.

Never have I watched a film cos of who's directed it. Who does that? Lol

But you see marvel on something then you know it's being watched.

Seems to me like Scorsese wants to get in to marvel and they rejected him and he's bitter.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Jedi » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:31 pm

Ach wrote:soneone name me some Scorsese films. I've probably seen some. Probably even liked them

I very much doubt that but that's okay. People have different tastes. It's a free world. You're allowed to prefer bad movies.
Fenice wrote:Also comic books have been telling stories before Hollywood even existed. They’ve talked about sex, race, injustice, pain, loss, redemption, but he can be the stodgy old man that he is, fair play.

But he isn't talking about the comic books, is he? He's talking about the lifeless movies pumped out by Disney. There's plenty decent movie adaptations of comic book stuff. Just not Marvel.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Ach » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:36 pm

Just googled him

He did good fellas. Love that film.

The departed 2006, shutter island 2010 and wolf on Wall Street 2013 are his last 3 good movies. 3 decent movies in 13 years. During that time marvel has come along and produced the best storyline ever produced in cinematic history and in Endgame has the best film of all time

I can see why Scorsese is bitter.

Poor guy
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:42 pm

Jedi wrote:
Ach wrote:I love how scorsese and that godfather guy who no one remembers have been put in their place since they criticised marvel by the big names of Hollywood.

Who made Marvel movies again? I only remember that James Gunn guy, not for his movie, but because he got fired for making pedophile jokes. They're all literal nobodies that no one will remember in 10 to 15 years.

Exactly. I've never watched a marvel movie cos of who directed them. Couldn't give a shit. I watch cos it's marvel.

Saying that, the Russo brothers have pissed on anything Scorsese or godfather guy has ever done. And I love the godfather trilogy

For years I used to say you can't be a real movie fan if you haven't seen the godfather, lotr and original Star Wars trilogies.

Now that's changed to marvel
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Fenice » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:32 pm

Jedi wrote:
Ach wrote:soneone name me some Scorsese films. I've probably seen some. Probably even liked them

I very much doubt that but that's okay. People have different tastes. It's a free world. You're allowed to prefer bad movies.
Fenice wrote:Also comic books have been telling stories before Hollywood even existed. They’ve talked about sex, race, injustice, pain, loss, redemption, but he can be the stodgy old man that he is, fair play.

But he isn't talking about the comic books, is he? He's talking about the lifeless movies pumped out by Disney. There's plenty decent movie adaptations of comic book stuff. Just not Marvel.

I’m sorry, but that’s a disingenuous take on the movies. If they aren’t for you, that’s fine. They certainly aren’t lifeless. I’d also argue that blockbuster movies keep Hollywood doors open. At least these blockbusters have some heart.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:43 pm

Doctor Sleep

Trash.

Was always going to be difficult to pull off on film because of the body swapping/world turning aspect but this film didn't work on any level.

Prime example of being able to pull things off in books that you can't in movies and vice versa.

Also they took liberties with the story and altered it for the worse, esepcially the ending.

Book is way better as is usually the case.

I feel sorry for anyone who hasn't read the book and watches it, without a reference point it's an even bigger clusterfvck, so jumbled and convoluted.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:17 am

Ford vs Ferrari

Stunning, best movie I've seen since Three Billboards.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Ach » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:37 pm

Anyone seen the Irishman?

3 and a half hours long. Could be another Scorsese shocker
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Fenice » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:00 pm