Nicolas Pépé

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Nicolas Pépé (19)

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:15 am

VCC wrote:Said it several times , Emery style is for the fullbacks to create the width and wide forwards to play inside them . When Teirney and Bellerin are back you will see that they will become the link with pepe and saka/martinelli being a little narrower creating that tighter midfeild link, this is why we are not seeing a number 10. Pepe will come good he is currently alienated and double teamed but still creates chances

That's probably the goal because both CM's split and occupy opposite sides of the pitch. Xhaka also dropping between both CB's also pushes Luiz and Sokratis further apart to support passing in wide areas.

I get the idea but a system dependent on two very specific players is a worry. Lose either one again and we have a complete system failure. Also, what if it doesn't work once we have them both back?
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby VCC » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:33 am

Power n Glory wrote:
VCC wrote:Said it several times , Emery style is for the fullbacks to create the width and wide forwards to play inside them . When Teirney and Bellerin are back you will see that they will become the link with pepe and saka/martinelli being a little narrower creating that tighter midfeild link, this is why we are not seeing a number 10. Pepe will come good he is currently alienated and double teamed but still creates chances

That's probably the goal because both CM's split and occupy opposite sides of the pitch. Xhaka also dropping between both CB's also pushes Luiz and Sokratis further apart to support passing in wide areas.

I get the idea but a system dependent on two very specific players is a worry. Lose either one again and we have a complete system failure. Also, what if it doesn't work once we have them both back?

Agree 100% I think Teirney will hit the team running but Bellerin/pepe may take time. And like you say if we have an injury we are back to what we have ATM a dysfunctional hodgepodge, but I think personally take xhaka out of that hodgepodge and it would flow more.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Hybrid47 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:20 am

He had some great moments in the first half and if that curling effort goes in we're having a different conversation. He was flagging in the second half and was rightly taken off, I still don't think he's 100% fit.

That said he still needs time and our midfield offers nothing to the front 3 currently so really hard to judge.
Hybrid47
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Dejan » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:54 am

immsun wrote:Wont flourish under Emery if Emery doesnt change.

We have been crying for a winger like that and now when we got one the manager doesnt know how to get best out of him. Ffs.
So why can saka flourish and pepe cant?

Like usual, emery is at fault for everything.
Misplacing passes, not hitting the target and losing the ball is 100% on pepe himself

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby immsun » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:29 pm

Dejan wrote:

We have been crying for a winger like that and now when we got one the manager doesnt know how to get best out of him. Ffs.

Misplacing passes, not hitting the target and losing the ball is 100% on pepe himself

Your definition of Flourish is wrong. He is impressing not flourishing for now.

We are getting those 3 points by a very thin margin. Eventually we wont be this lucky.

Unless emery gets the best out of Players. I will always critisize him. Our biggest signing is flaundering coz the idiot manager doesnt know attack.

There is talent in pepe far more than Saka. He can dribble,has pace,trickery,etc i.e what you need from a winger but no dont make use of him properly and hes being questioned now. Fk off Emery.
immsun
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Ach » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:13 pm

As a great man once said

Doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Dejan » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:06 pm

immsun wrote:
Dejan wrote:

We are getting those 3 points by a very thin margin. Eventually we wont be this lucky.

Unless emery gets the best out of Players. I will always critisize him. Our biggest signing is flaundering coz the idiot manager doesnt know attack.

There is talent in pepe far more than Saka. He can dribble,has pace,trickery,etc i.e what you need from a winger but no dont make use of him properly and hes being questioned now. Fk off Emery.

If Emery is the main reason why pepe cant flourish nor impress then surely none of our wingers or strikers should impress right? This is weird because auba, saka and martinelli all are having a great season so far despite emery and our lack or creativity in midfield. Pepe is playing in the same conditions as those players, yet he is the one that is misplacing passes and unable to atleast shoot on goal instead of wide.

The reason he is not performing is for the most part due to himself. He is extremely one footed and thus far too predictable. This has worked in france, however the premier league is far more difficult. He has to adapt because right now his handling speed is far too slow.

Dont get me wrong i still have high hopes for this guy but he needs to up his game. Bigtime.

Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:22 pm

He could be another Fred. Gulp!
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:05 pm

Dejan wrote:

Very good point, Martinelli as well.

Its uncomfortable because of what we paid for him and I haven't given up on him yet but he's having a stinker and it is down to him not manning up after his transfer no one else.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:17 pm

Dejan wrote:
immsun wrote:
Dejan wrote:

If Emery is the main reason why pepe cant flourish nor impress then surely none of our wingers or strikers should impress right? This is weird because auba, saka and martinelli all are having a great season so far despite emery and our lack or creativity in midfield. Pepe is playing in the same conditions as those players, yet he is the one that is misplacing passes and unable to atleast shoot on goal instead of wide.

The reason he is not performing is for the most part due to himself. He is extremely one footed and thus far too predictable. This has worked in france, however the premier league is far more difficult. He has to adapt because right now his handling speed is far too slow.

Dont get me wrong i still have high hopes for this guy but he needs to up his game. Bigtime.

Different expectations. Saka and Pepe have the same amount of goals and assists. If Saka were having the sort of start to the season Pepe was having, most people would be pleased.

Saka wasn't effective against Bournemouth and Aubameyang really struggled as well. Pepe is the only one being singled out. That curling shot from Martinelli was similar to the same attempt on goal Pepe made but it's a great effort for one and massive miss for the other.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:07 pm

^ that is why I've not given up on Pepe at all.

If that shot had gone in we'd all be going nuts about it, people have the patience of 5 yr olds today, embarrassing at times.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Zenith » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:54 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:^ that is why I've not given up on Pepe at all.

If that shot had gone in we'd all be going nuts about it, people have the patience of 5 yr olds today, embarrassing at times.

Despite struggling, he has still created more chances in the Premier League (12) than any other Arsenal player.

Pépé also by a country mile completed the most take-ons (25) ahead of Ceballos (11) - more than twice as much. Only Boufal and Zaha have a higher average successful take-ons per 90'.

Whilst there are aspects of his game that are cause for concern, there are positives to be taken from his performances as well. Unsurprisingly, those positives are conveniently being ignored by the majority of his critics.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby swipe right » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:40 pm

We paid 72 mil. Stop evaluating him like we paid 27 mil.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby VCC » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:04 am

swipe right wrote:We paid 72 mil. Stop evaluating him like we paid 27 mil.

Hope those same evaluation to performance expectations go for the entire squad because ozil should be shedding skin like a snake to perform. What's good for some is good for all.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby UFGN » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:45 am

A load of breeze about nothing

Hes hardly played yet

Arshavin was brilliant when he started. Turned out to be meh
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

PreviousNext

Return to World Football