The general boxing thread

Re: The general boxing thread

Postby Jedi » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:41 am

I like how everyone was saying Joshua was the best, then after he got chinned everyone was saying Fury is the best. After this lackluster Fury performance, everyone is probably going to default to Wilder being the best even though they were saying Fury humiliated him.

The point is we don't know who the best heavyweight is. They all need to fight each other already.

As for the fight, all i can say is i really don't like Ben Davison. I was listening to his instructions after Fury got cut and all he was saying was dumb platitudes like "box and don't panic". Couple that with the fact that a hall of fame trainer like Freddie Roach already criticized Ben before for not giving clear instructions in the corner in the Wilder fight and now even John Fury said Tyson should sack him. If he likes having him in his camp he can keep him under in some other position but it's time to ring Peter Fury and make up.
Last edited by Jedi on Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:56 am

Jedi wrote:I like how everyone was saying Joshua was the best, then after he got chinned everyone was saying Fury is the best. After this lackluster Fury performance, everyone is probably going to default to Wilder being the best even though they were saying Fury humiliated him.

The point is we don't know who the best heavyweight is. They all need to fight each other already.

I thought Fury fought really well. Looked sharp
The cut was something that can happen and made the fight appear a bit more of a struggle, but Fury battered Wallin for about 9 of the 12 rounds.. it was pretty one sided.

As for Ben Davidson, we don;t really know what Tyson needs to hear in situations like that. Ben knows him. Maybe technical instruction is something the just don't want in the middle of a fight. I'd say the best judge of whether Ben is the right man would be Fury himself.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:00 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Wilder would've murdered that version of Fury.

He's lucky.

Nah, what makes you say that?
The Wilder / Fury fight is pretty simple to understand... Wilder will try and land huge bombs. IF he lands one or two he could win, but Fury will outbox him easily and win on points if he can avoid the really big punch - just like he did last time.
Wilder is nothing like Wallin.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Jedi » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:11 am

jayramfootball wrote:I thought Fury fought really well. Looked sharp
The cut was something that can happen and made the fight appear a bit more of a struggle, but Fury battered Wallin for about 9 of the 12 rounds.. it was pretty one sided.

Tried outboxing him and failed, was forced to completely abandon his gameplan and turn it into a dogfight and grind out a win by fighting on the inside. Wallin landed shots all night and even rocked Fury in the 12th round. That cut could and probably will push back Wilder vs Fury + that eye could be a weakness and a target for his opponents in the future.

Fury got the job done, but hardly a stellar performance. Ben Davison needs to be sidelined and Peter Fury or another experienced coach needs to be brought back in.

Your face shouldn't look like this after a stellar performance.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Sims » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:19 am

fury usually turns it up vs level of competition, but didnt look too convincing
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Phil71 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:11 pm

Fury was too light.

18st is far too light for a man of his frame. He should be 19 or 19.5.

But he won the fight by a mile anyway.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:15 pm

Jedi wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:I thought Fury fought really well. Looked sharp

Tried outboxing him and failed, was forced to completely abandon his gameplan and turn it into a dogfight and grind out a win by fighting on the inside. Wallin landed shots all night and even rocked Fury in the 12th round. That cut could and probably will push back Wilder vs Fury + that eye could be a weakness and a target for his opponents in the future.

Fury got the job done, but hardly a stellar performance. Ben Davison needs to be sidelined and Peter Fury or another experienced coach needs to be brought back in.

Your face shouldn't look like this after a stellar performance.

I think he did outbox him. Landed more power punches and jabs.
He did do some body work too, but actually quite a low percentage of his overall shots were body shots. (36 of 179 punches landed).
Wallin landed 127 punches, 55 to the body.

In rounds 7-11 it was as one sided a fight as your likely to see.

I didn't say the performance was stellar, just thought he fought really well.
Cuts can happen and I give credit to Fury for getting on with it and dominating the fight.

Wilder is not going to be able to take advantage of any cut. He'll either connect with a bomb or lose on points.

As for AJ, forget it. He has no chin, so isn't ever going to be anything greater than Eddie Hearn's hype can make him.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:05 pm

Sims wrote:fury usually turns it up vs level of competition, but didnt look too convincing

I think that's because he didn't pre-expect that level of competition that's why.

Like AJ I think he got caught on the hop after the bell went, its different coming in ready than coming in a bit flat and having to catch up on the job.

Tbf they all deserve it, they're all trying to do a Floyd and wait the competition out but father time doesn't hang around and I saw aging in Fury's performance.

They're getting too old to try and stall each other out, get the fire back into your training and concentrate on sorting out the big 3.

Fury vs Wilder vs AJ (if he gets passed Ruiz).

The big money, big events and belts are all there.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Losmeister » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:12 pm

the cut... wasnt as if it happened cos he was getting hit time after time... ( say, 12 jabs)
one punch that landed that didnt hurt him particularly... but bled like hell...

he was coasting and it made so that he had to be extra careful... the superior fighter by a lot... the bloodier fighter by a lot...

credit to Wallin for going the distance...
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Phil71 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:22 pm

It's a bad cut.

They have to give it a good while before his next fight or that will open again.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Ach » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:32 pm

Nigel Benn is back to save boxing.

Get Eubank back and let's get it on.

The golden age is here again.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:37 pm

Ffs he should not be given a license to fight by any board.

He's needs saving from himself.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:07 pm

Eddie Hearn stating that AJ could retire.

Just all about quick money and the good life these days.

Look invincible for 5mins, cash in with lots of interviews and brand yourself then when the going gets tough run off into the sunset with your millions.

Conor Mcgreggor, AJ .......... this list is going to grow, its the new way, the only people who have to stick around are those who don't have the marketing guys like this have, hence why Wilder is still trying to kill people in the ring, he was only earning £2m a fight just last year, and that's before American taxes.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:36 pm

Nigel Benn getting back in the ring at 55.

Fighting 40 year old Sakio Bika.

If you're a boxer you can stay fit, and you can continue to hit hard, and you can even stay sharp and fast.

But getting hit... That's where you feel it. Your body isn't as hard, and he will feel those punches much more than he ever did.

Here's hoping he comes out of it with his health intact.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:17 am

Spence vs Porter

Wow, fight of the year.

Spence vs Crawford next please.

That's the best fight in boxing.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015