Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:42 pm

1991 wrote:
Losmeister wrote:god, all the multi/multu/multiquotes...

anyway... this squad is transitioning. mus/elneny/ozil/nacho/ramsey on the out bus, dani/torrito/douzi/pepe/luiz/tierney incoming...

i'd sure like to see what AFC lookslike once the old guard squad is completely flushed.

those who belive Unai is NOT the man for AFC will write lengthy posts supporting how they know what formations a nd players we should play better than he.

shrug. our good ol GW panel of European Cup winners... go shine your trophies, m8s

transitioning to what? arsenaI have been in transition for the Iast 15 years
we wont be in transition when aubameyang hits 32? do u beIeve emery wiII turn us into chaIIengers Iike kIopp did for pooI?

For the last 10 years of Wenger we were not really transitioning so much as imploding. I guess you could call that a transition.
What is happening now is a rebuild of the club from top to bottom.
Forget any player who is 30 or over. They are not part of our rebuild, just helping us get there.
I think Emery is generally on the right track and the club have spent massive amounts of money to try and get us back to the top.
We'll need to give it some time.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby gooney » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:47 pm

I know he wont play laca pepe and auba next game vs spurs. He will also make half time sub to change the mistakes he made. Simply not right man for us
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Losmeister » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:49 pm

we wont be in transition when aubameyang hits 32? do u beIeve emery wiII turn us into chaIIengers Iike kIopp did for pooI?

For the last 10 years of Wenger we were not really transitioning so much as imploding. I guess you could call that a transition.
[/quote]

Klopp has now 3 UCL finals a Bundesliga title. So, no.. Unai isnt Klopp. You think you kNOW what his ceiling is. You maybe right in your prediction.

I dont know what Unai ceiling is, or how much a leash he'll get from those above. I'd sure like to see what we look like once the old rot is rooted out.
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby starmandb » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:57 pm

Zedie wrote:
alexafc12 wrote:
Zedie wrote:
themessiah wrote:Arteta lol

Just give him till end of season. By next season it’s either we’re in the UCL with Emery or Europa with a new man

Yup. His contract doesn't get renewed and people can start raging at a game 2 draw versus city of the new guy.

OGS has a better record vs the 'big five' then Unai Emery.

Let that sink in

We beat more top 6 than him surely?

Beat the same amount mate
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Goonerz » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:30 pm

Callum wrote:
Goonerz wrote:Emery is starting to p!ss me off.
Too pragmatic.
I expected us to go for it. Play Laca, Auba, Pepe, Ceballos in the middle and Play Torreira too.
I am expected us to go all out and test ourselves against a very good Liverpool team.

And we would have lost 6-0.

So what is the point of football anyway?
How are we going to be able to test ourselves if all we do is have this loser mentality of (better lose 3-1 than 6-0). I just hate the after-feeling of “What would’ve been?”.

So you are trying to tell me that we basically went into this Liverpool game with that mentality of “Let’s not lose 6-0. Let’s just keep the score down and then pat ourselves on the back for losing 3-1 and not 5-0??”

Man, that is depressing. What is the point of buying and having £50 million, £60 million and £70 million rated attacking players when we are just happy with Watford kind of mentality?

When should we expect to play to our strengths?, against the likes of Burnley or against the likes of Liverpool?

We are so bad at defending, even if we go 6 at the back we still struggle or lose. I say lets play to our strengths like the likes of City, Liverpool, Spuds do. The problem I see with this “over respecting our opponents” is that our mentality will suffer in the long run as the players will feel like we are not good enough. The opposition will keep feeling emboldened looking at the way we play like scared cowards.

I have so many question. I just don’t like going into each and every big game frustrated by our boring tactics that hardly ever work anyway then come out thinking “May be we should have gone for it”..
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby VCC » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:47 pm

Emery went into pool game with a plan it almost worked could have scored twice first half if he had who knows what he might of changed on the pitch,
There was a plan
Bring them as high as we could hit balls behind the press to ABA and pepe

It was bloody ugly and hard to watch but he had a plan to get points
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Fenice » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:48 pm

Odd day it is, but I agree with Goonerz. At some point we have to just go for games. Who cares if we lose 3-1 or 6-0. It’s still a loss. It’s still 0 points. How about we actually play football and see what happens?
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby gooney » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:29 pm

Fenice wrote:Odd day it is, but I agree with Goonerz. At some point we have to just go for games. Who cares if we lose 3-1 or 6-0. It’s still a loss. It’s still 0 points. How about we actually play football and see what happens?

Your mentality and approach matters. Im sure all week they focused on how to stop liverpool. The approach is exactly how small teams approach big teams. I really doubt liverpool spent all week worrying about us. That tells the players they are better than us
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Callum » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:12 pm

Goonerz wrote:
Callum wrote:
Too pragmatic.
I expected us to go for it. Play Laca, Auba, Pepe, Ceballos in the middle and Play Torreira too.
I am expected us to go all out and test ourselves against a very good Liverpool team.

How are we going to be able to test ourselves if all we do is have this loser mentality of (better lose 3-1 than 6-0). I just hate the after-feeling of “What would’ve been?”.

So you are trying to tell me that we basically went into this Liverpool game with that mentality of “Let’s not lose 6-0. Let’s just keep the score down and then pat ourselves on the back for losing 3-1 and not 5-0??”

Man, that is depressing. What is the point of buying and having £50 million, £60 million and £70 million rated attacking players when we are just happy with Watford kind of mentality?

When should we expect to play to our strengths?, against the likes of Burnley or against the likes of Liverpool?

We are so bad at defending, even if we go 6 at the back we still struggle or lose. I say lets play to our strengths like the likes of City, Liverpool, Spuds do. The problem I see with this “over respecting our opponents” is that our mentality will suffer in the long run as the players will feel like we are not good enough. The opposition will keep feeling emboldened looking at the way we play like scared cowards.

I have so many question. I just don’t like going into each and every big game frustrated by our boring tactics that hardly ever work anyway then come out thinking “May be we should have gone for it”..

You're really misinterpreting what I'm saying.

I want to see the manager do what he thinks will win us games. When we're playing away against a far superior Liverpool side, his approach was to pack the midfield and try and hit Liverpool on the counter with the pace we have up front. It didn't come off but that's going to happen more often than not because Liverpool are a far better side than us.

If he was doing this against Chelsea at home or Wolves away, then I'd have more of a problem with it. I want to see us play attacking football and take the game to teams but I also don't want to see us trot out the same naive tactics that befell Wenger in his later years that saw us routinely torn to pieces because we just tried to play "the Arsenal way" on the road against the top sides.

I'm honestly dumfounded at how many people are criticising Emery for trying to show some tactical nous and show some tactical flexibility when Wenger was lambasted for not doing that in his latter years. You'd think we'd turned into Burnley overnight by the way some fans are bleating and moaning about this performance.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:17 am

Emery needs conviction. Pick a formation, pick a core group of players and go for it. Try 10-15 games of consistency and see how it works. If it doesn’t work then make changes. We forgave Wenger for a lot of things because he believed so strongly in what he was doing. It’s easier to get behind someone who has conviction than someone who is dithering all the time.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Fran Solo » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:24 am

Callum wrote:
Goonerz wrote:
Callum wrote:
Too pragmatic.

You're really misinterpreting what I'm saying.

I want to see the manager do what he thinks will win us games. When we're playing away against a far superior Liverpool side, his approach was to pack the midfield and try and hit Liverpool on the counter with the pace we have up front. It didn't come off but that's going to happen more often than not because Liverpool are a far better side than us.

If he was doing this against Chelsea at home or Wolves away, then I'd have more of a problem with it. I want to see us play attacking football and take the game to teams but I also don't want to see us trot out the same naive tactics that befell Wenger in his later years that saw us routinely torn to pieces because we just tried to play "the Arsenal way" on the road against the top sides.

I'm honestly dumfounded at how many people are criticising Emery for trying to show some tactical nous and show some tactical flexibility when Wenger was lambasted for not doing that in his latter years. You'd think we'd turned into Burnley overnight by the way some fans are bleating and moaning about this performance.

Exactly this.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Nuggets » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:32 am

jayramfootball wrote:
1991 wrote:
Losmeister wrote:god, all the multi/multu/multiquotes...

anyway... this squad is transitioning. mus/elneny/ozil/nacho/ramsey on the out bus, dani/torrito/douzi/pepe/luiz/tierney incoming...

i'd sure like to see what AFC lookslike once the old guard squad is completely flushed.

those who belive Unai is NOT the man for AFC will write lengthy posts supporting how they know what formations a nd players we should play better than he.

shrug. our good ol GW panel of European Cup winners... go shine your trophies, m8s

Forget any player who is 30 or over. They are not part of our rebuild, just helping us get there.
I think Emery is generally on the right track and the club have spent massive amounts of money to try and get us back to the top.
We'll need to give it some time.

It's laughable the amount of keyboard managers we have on this forum who think they know best, FFS take a step in the real world this is not FANTASY footbALL. :rofll:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby StLGooner » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:56 am

He hasn't convinced me he's the man for the job yet. He had a whole season of questionable line ups, and still continues to dabble with it and hasn't given us a real identity yet.

I thought we sat back way too much. I think he got the formation wrong, I liked that we were going to play on the counter, that was probably our best chance, but we just invited them into or box way too often with no real effort to close down, and no urgency even at 3-0 down. Just all around questionable decisions that even the experts, other coaches and pundits question.

I didn't expect to beat Pool, but he gave them way too much respect. Obviously the misses hurt us and Luiz's horrible play, but Emery's decisions made it all the worse as well.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby gooney » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:34 pm

StLGooner wrote:He hasn't convinced me he's the man for the job yet. He had a whole season of questionable line ups, and still continues to dabble with it and hasn't given us a real identity yet.

I thought we sat back way too much. I think he got the formation wrong, I liked that we were going to play on the counter, that was probably our best chance, but we just invited them into or box way too often with no real effort to close down, and no urgency even at 3-0 down. Just all around questionable decisions that even the experts, other coaches and pundits question.

I didn't expect to beat Pool, but he gave them way too much respect. Obviously the misses hurt us and Luiz's horrible play, but Emery's decisions made it all the worse as well.

For me next game will have huge impact not only on the season.....but how a lot of fans view him. We could lose as sputs is a good team. But his formation will say a lot. He doesnt play auba and laca in the most important games and if he doesnt play them and pepe and go after spurs defense and try to be too clever. He deserve everything he gets
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby StLGooner » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:50 pm

gooney wrote:
StLGooner wrote:He hasn't convinced me he's the man for the job yet. He had a whole season of questionable line ups, and still continues to dabble with it and hasn't given us a real identity yet.

For me next game will have huge impact not only on the season.....but how a lot of fans view him. We could lose as sputs is a good team. But his formation will say a lot. He doesnt play auba and laca in the most important games and if he doesnt play them and pepe and go after spurs defense and try to be too clever. He deserve everything he gets

It's telling when he makes changes at half time. Its admitting he got it wrong at first, and even though he didn't do it this game, he should have and just admitted he got it wrong again. Usually when he does make changes we are instantly better, so why not start like that? I liked the plan, but I think the formation was wrong and yes of course, why not play our best front 3 together? It's mind boggling.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football