Robin van Persie ~ The Flying Dutchman

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Robin van Persie ~ The Flying Dutchman

Postby Nuggets » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:07 pm

VCC wrote:The modern day Frank Staplecunt

Very true, Judas.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby swipe right » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:34 pm

Nobody in all of football likes him.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:41 pm

swipe right wrote:Nobody in all of football likes him.

United fans do, why wouldn't they?
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Angelito » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:04 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
swipe right wrote:Nobody in all of football likes him.

United fans do, why wouldn't they?

Think from a legacy point of view, van Persie is stranded. He's neither here, nor there.

Whilst van Persie is both Arsenal and United's best player this decade, yet, he doesn't quite hold that legend status in either club.

It's the same with Cesc. Barca fans treat him the way we treat Xhaka. Arsenal fans are disgruntled. Chelsea fans do seem to like him, but he's nowhere near the real legends at the club.

In contrast, look at Rosicky. He didn't achieve as much as van Persie or Cesc did here even though I'd argue that he's more talented than both of them. But there's a certain amount of fondness surrounding him and that fondness will only grow as years pass by.

Ditto for Cazorla.

Btw, I'd consider van Persie a PL legend though.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:26 am

If I was a player, I wouldn't want to end my career with regret and not fulfilling my potential. I think we as fans imagine what could have been if we had kept RVP and Cesc more than they imagine what could have been if they had stayed with Arsenal.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Angelito » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:11 am

I don't blame van Persie for leaving. He had one last shot at a league title and he left.

I do feel bitter towards Cesc than van Persie. Cesc had age on his side. He was the supposed heir of Xavi. He went to Barca. They realized he wasn't as good. He played as Messi's backup as a false #9. Eventually, Barca stated in their website that they're selling Cesc because he only turns up for half of the season, which was the case at Arsenal. Then, he joined Chelsea.

So, the redemption arc isn't any better than van Persie's if you want to be picky.

I, however, refuse to believe that we didn't offer van Persie a contract extension. That's bullshit. We might have offered him a 3-year deal at £130k a week, but we did offer him something.

We also rejected Juve's £15m bid for van Persie, which left him with Man City or Man United. So, we're as much to blame for the entire episode.

It's absolutely shameful that we happily awarded the league title to ManU. Disgusting behavior by the club. That's one of Wenger's major flaws. He never did seem to have an ego or a spine for that matter.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Phil71 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:16 pm

Power n Glory wrote:If I was a player, I wouldn't want to end my career with regret and not fulfilling my potential. I think we as fans imagine what could have been if we had kept RVP and Cesc more than they imagine what could have been if they had stayed with Arsenal.

No problem with that.

It's the manner in which it is done, and what they say and do afterwards that shapes people's opinions of them.

In his case he's still telling lies and alienating himself even further away from Arsenal fans.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Phil71 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:49 pm

Now says he values his man utd shirt over his Arsenal one.

c***
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Ach » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:12 pm

The guys an absolute t**t.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:49 am

Angelito wrote:I don't blame van Persie for leaving. He had one last shot at a league title and he left.

I do feel bitter towards Cesc than van Persie. Cesc had age on his side. He was the supposed heir of Xavi. He went to Barca. They realized he wasn't as good. He played as Messi's backup as a false #9. Eventually, Barca stated in their website that they're selling Cesc because he only turns up for half of the season, which was the case at Arsenal. Then, he joined Chelsea.

So, the redemption arc isn't any better than van Persie's if you want to be picky.

I, however, refuse to believe that we didn't offer van Persie a contract extension. That's bullshit. We might have offered him a 3-year deal at £130k a week, but we did offer him something.

We also rejected Juve's £15m bid for van Persie, which left him with Man City or Man United. So, we're as much to blame for the entire episode.

It's absolutely shameful that we happily awarded the league title to ManU. Disgusting behavior by the club. That's one of Wenger's major flaws. He never did seem to have an ego or a spine for that matter.

Cesc gave us 8 good years, van Persie gave us 1.
We took van Persie when mar wijk showed him the door and he was starring down a rape allegation.
We suffered Bendtner and Chamakh as our CFs waiting for him to recover from one of his many ailments.
We extended his contract when he was injured and no one wanted to buy him.

He’s a different level c*** than Cesc.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby LMAO » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:55 am

LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Losmeister » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:07 am

LMAO wrote:

brilliant
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Marsbar100 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:00 am

Robin was so good it's hard to hate
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby swipe right » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:36 pm

Good for two seasons. One more than Diaby.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Angelito » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:25 pm

Phil71 wrote:Now says he values his man utd shirt over his Arsenal one.

c***

Absolutely. Probs the best striker not named Henry or Shearer in Prem history. But an absolute waste of a personality.

swipe right wrote:
Angelito wrote:I don't blame van Persie for leaving. He had one last shot at a league title and he left.

Cesc gave us 8 good years, van Persie gave us 1.
We took van Persie when mar wijk showed him the door and he was starring down a rape allegation.
We suffered Bendtner and Chamakh as our CFs waiting for him to recover from one of his many ailments.
We extended his contract when he was injured and no one wanted to buy him.

He’s a different level c*** than Cesc.

132 goals and 55 assists ~ van Persie at Arsenal.

59 goals and 92 assists ~ Cesc at Arsenal.

Of course, there's 11/12 when he was the greatest striker on the planet. That one season was legendary.

I do agree, however, that Cesc was the face of Arsenal from '07 until '11. Hence, I can understand the affinity people share with Cesc.

As a player though, van Persie is as good as it gets for normal folks and not aliens like Messi and Ronaldo.

Shame we never got:

Cesc - Arteta/Song
Dgaf - Ozil - Alexis
van Persie
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club