Alex Iwobi

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: Alex Iwobi joins Everton

Postby Fran Solo » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:36 am

We should remember to contact those Merseyside clubs the next time we need to offload some players. They pay good money.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:50 am

EliteKiller wrote:
Ach wrote:We got decent money for a shit player.

His value would only decrease. He wasn't getting any better. And after spending money over 130m I think, we did well to recoup some back.

Only in your head ... his value has increased every year why's that about to change? what did we recoup he's a development player ... not our problem now so enough said.

Players aren't pieces of real estate that you can get appraised annually. They are worth whatever the seller will accept for them at that moment in time. Maguire is only worth £85m to idiots like Utd. Same goes for Iwobi. Everton is paying us a Malcom-level price for a player who's never had the season Malcom had at Bordeaux.

I like Iwobi but he won't be hitting 10 G+A this season. Like Walcott and Big G, he will look far worse outside our system than inside it.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Callum » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:18 am

aniym wrote:I like Iwobi but he won't be hitting 10 G+A this season. Like Walcott and Big G, he will look far worse outside our system than inside it.

I disagree on that. Giroud and Walcott were both past their peaks when they left Arsenal, Iwobi will likely improve. He also won't have the same pressure at Everton than he had at Arsenal.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:22 am

Callum wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:Not sure how this deal helps us, Iwobi just 23 had four years left on his contract so there would have been no issue about him leaving on a fee, all we have done is strengthen a rival's squad and weaken our own (by a lot or a little will depend on how well he plays) and for what? 35m in the bank that we can't use for 6/12 months. Iwobi's value has increased from 9m to 35m in the last 18 months, very much doubt that will go down.

Whilst I don't think Everton have got a bargain, frankly I don't care about them, I just wonder who thought we benefited from letting Iwobi go at the end of a window without a replacement, was it all about the bank balance?

Lots of people feel like Iwobi is trash, apparently. I agree with a lot of this though. Have mixed feelings about him leaving but I trust Raul and co. for now.

They're saying the deal on the BBC site it's £34m with just £28m up front the rest in installments.

If Everton were willing to bid £70m for Zaha, the fee we accepted for Iwobi in comparison is pretty low.

We'll see what Iwobi can do at Everton. He is at a stage where he can't really afford for his progress to be disrupted. First team football opportunities may have been limited for him this season with us. Shame to see him go but his last appearance for us was that walloping goal. He needs more.of those.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:00 pm

Callum wrote:
aniym wrote:I like Iwobi but he won't be hitting 10 G+A this season. Like Walcott and Big G, he will look far worse outside our system than inside it.

I disagree on that. Giroud and Walcott were both past their peaks when they left Arsenal, Iwobi will likely improve. He also won't have the same pressure at Everton than he had at Arsenal.

giroud in his last full season for us had 12 PL goals in 29 appearances, consistent with what he usually bagged for us aince he joined. At Chelsea he had 2 in 27.
Theo had 10 PL in 28 for us, that dropped to 5 in 37 at Everton.

Such a massive dropoff can't be explained by just being past their peak. Our midfield and RBs don't get the credit they deserve in helping average forwards pad their numbers. And Iwobi has never been anything but average for us.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Ach » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:14 am

“I grew up dreaming of playing for Arsenal, following in the footsteps of some of my heroes.

“I’m proud to say that at 23 I’ve achieved one of my dreams. From playing for Arsenal kids to 149 senior appearances. It was an honour to play for the club I supported as a boy.

“I’ve enjoyed every minute of it. So many people to thank, far too many individual names to mention, but I thank you all.

“So many great moments from scoring my first goal at the Emirates, to scoring my last goal in Baku. You’ve all played a big part in my 17 fantastic years.

“Special thanks to the fans, my team mates, the support staff, my coaches Arsene Wenger and Unai Emery who put faith in me and gave me the opportunity to grow as a player and a man.

“BIG love to a special club. Arsenal will be forever in my heart.”

Fair enough to the lad.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby #ST » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:21 pm

Listen, I never hated this guy. He is just frustrating to watch.

With Alex, I know he puts in his shift but this guy just got ZERO end product. No pass, no goals, no good crosses. Just dribbling and... Effort.

Hope he does well with Everton, I'm just happy he's gone.

He's a dribbler.
Wembley:
Community Shield @6-8-'23 = 1*-1 Manchester City

Emirates Stadium:
First game @10-9-'11 = 1 - 0 Swansea
Most memorable game @24-2-'22 = 2 - 1 Wolves
Last game @09-03-'24 = 2 - 1 Brentford
Next game @03-04-'24 = VS Luton [ Block 121 - Seat 847 ]
#ST
Predictions League 2019-20, 2021-22 Winner
Predictions League 2019-20, 2021-22 Winner

Postby Nuggets » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:58 pm

He can play with his mate now, walnut.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Rockape » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:44 pm

SuperTurrek wrote:Listen, I never hated this guy. He is just frustrating to watch.

With Alex, I know he puts in his shift but this guy just got ZERO end product. No pass, no goals, no good crosses. Just dribbling and... Effort.

Hope he does well with Everton, I'm just happy he's gone.

He's a dribbler.

Quite right, nothing against him, he was no where good enough. I used to say he was like the Ox with ADHD. Talking of the Ox, he was better in that at least he attacked and tried to get a shot away, but ultimately not good enough. We have to be ruthless in the pursuit of the best possible team, which means buying players and selling them again if they are not doing what we need. At least Emery is showing a ruthless streak, which gives me hope.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Losmeister » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:34 pm

dribble your guy, look up and hoof it to moises... 10 assists incoming
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:10 am

Everton wanted Giroud at one point as well. we should try to offload Mhikytaryan to them in a year's time.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Nuggets » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:42 am

aniym wrote:Everton wanted Giroud at one point as well. we should try to offload Mhikytaryan to them in a year's time.

....... and Mustafi in the January sales . ;)
Nuggets

Postby Phil71 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:06 pm

Buy one Mkhitaryan and get a Mustafi free.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Phil71 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:36 pm

Iwobi came on as sub yesterday, then got subbed.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Ach » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:36 pm

Better than pepe though
Ach
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football