William Saliba (2)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: OFFICIAL: William Saliba is a Gunner!

Postby Sims » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:53 pm

Zenith wrote:If true, that's very encouraging news going into the business end of the transfer window. Especially if you also consider we (allegedly) didn't pay a loan fee to bring in Ceballos. It's believed that we'll only cover his full salary which is a 'modest' ~£50k per week.

£6,03m → Gabriel Martinelli
£4,50m → William Saliba
£3,15m → David Ospina (sale)

= £7,38m net spend

This would leave £37,62m for us to spend on a left back and a wing forward. Both deals could (and probably would) also be paid in installments.

Salary shouldn't be a problem considering the departures of Suárez, Ospina, Cech, Welbeck, Lichsteiner and Ramsey.

*Budget might still increase if (huge if) we can manage to sell a player or two before TDD.[/size]

Our budget is closer to like £80m imo
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Alexis » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:57 pm

Zenith wrote:
Sims wrote:

If true, that's very encouraging news going into the business end of the transfer window. Especially if you also consider we (allegedly) didn't pay a loan fee to bring in Ceballos. It's believed that we'll only cover his full salary which is a 'modest' ~£50k per week.

£6,03m → Gabriel Martinelli
£4,50m → William Saliba
£3,15m → David Ospina (sale)

= £7,38m net spend

This would leave £37,62m for us to spend on a left back and a wing forward. Both deals could (and probably would) also be paid in installments.

Salary shouldn't be a problem considering the departures of Suárez, Ospina, Cech, Welbeck, Lichsteiner and Ramsey.

*Budget might still increase if (huge if) we can manage to sell a player or two before TDD.

no wonder celtic told us to bugger off, if we only have 37 quid left
Alexis
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby PairyGrows » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:13 pm

While this may be a good signing for the future, we need players who are going to make an impact now.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Zenith » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:30 pm

Sims wrote:
Zenith wrote:If true, that's very encouraging news going into the business end of the transfer window. Especially if you also consider we (allegedly) didn't pay a loan fee to bring in Ceballos. It's believed that we'll only cover his full salary which is a 'modest' ~£50k per week.

£6,03m → Martinelli
£4,50m → Saliba
£3,15m → Ospina (sale)

= £7,38m net spend

This would leave £37,62m for us to spend on a left back and a wing forward. Both deals would also be paid in installments.

*Budget might still increase if (huge if) we can manage to sell a player or two before TDD.

Our budget is closer to like £80m imo

I guess it depends on how you look at it.

Whilst installments are great on the shorter term, they do eat a fair chunk of our future budgets, hence it's crucial we'll finish in the top 4 this season, or win the EL, or both, so that we can make much-needed marquee signings come 2020.

If we don't, we'll again be having retrospective conversations about the could-have-beens and not having built on our best players.

Alexis wrote:no wonder celtic told us to bugger off, if we only have 37 quid left

I don't know what you're talking about. :whistle:

:cheers:
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Zedie » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:41 pm

The cabellos loan cost us 4m euros apparently.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Zenith » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:46 pm

Zedie wrote:The cabellos loan cost us 4m euros apparently.

As reported by Ramon Fuentes who isn't exactly the most reputable journalist in Spain. He's considered as tier 4.

Could still be true, of course. It's just that most reliable sources currently mention that we'll only cover his full salary of £2.6m.

Looks like Real Madrid didn't want to include an option to buy, which we agreed to, as long as it meant we didn't have to pay a loan fee.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Zedie » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:54 pm

Zenith wrote:
Zedie wrote:The cabellos loan cost us 4m euros apparently.

As reported by Ramon Fuentes who isn't exactly the most reputable journalist in Spain. He's considered as tier 4.

Could still be true, of course. It's just that most reliable sources currently mention that we'll only cover his full salary of £2.6m.

Looks like Real Madrid didn't want to include an option to buy, which we agreed to, as long as it meant we didn't have to pay a loan fee.

Ah fair enough then. Only saw it amongst all the reddit threads during work today.

Genuinely happy to see this quality come to the arsenal, but pissed hes defo leaving for one of our rivals when we cant afford him by the end of the season.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Zenith » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:27 pm

Spurs' interest and him rejecting them in favor of Arsenal has been confirmed during his video interview on Arsenal.com -

0:20 https://player.arsenal.com/video/histor ... de-my-mind
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Sims » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:19 pm

https://player.arsenal.com/video/behind ... alibasigns

this guy is an absolute f***ing unit. he sounds about 29

has the van dijk aura already, hopefully next season he comes in and performs as good as him
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Sims » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:55 pm

At a time when Arsenal’s finances are tight it says much about their belief in William Saliba that they are prepared to spend £27 million on a teenager with only 16 games and one season under his belt at Saint-Étienne in Ligue 1.

Saliba, 18, is seen as one of the most promising young centre backs in France. He is physically imposing at 6ft 4in but says his best quality is reading the game. He was quickly made captain of France at youth level and his stature and style have drawn comparisons with Raphaël Varane, the Real Madrid centre back.

“It’s not a stupid comparison, but William has closed [his mind] to this,” Jean-Luc Vannuchi, the France Under-18 coach, has said. “He has such strength and charisma that I immediately made him my captain. He is easy with the ball at his feet and is above his generation but sometimes he tends to take too many risks. There are situations where he gets in trouble and you have to find a happy medium.”

Vannuchi picked out as an example the 1-0 win over Scotland Under-18 in October last year. “He lost balls that put us in trouble, I told him about it at the break and in the second half he was much better,” Vannuchi said. “At the end he came to see me to apologise. It was a rare step.”

Weeks earlier Saliba had made his Saint-Étienne debut aged 17 against Toulouse and also scored in a 2-1 defeat by England in the Limoges Tournament. Six years earlier he was discovered while being coached by Wilfrid Mbappé, the father of Kylian, the Paris Saint-Germain and France forward.

Saliba and Mbappé grew up in Bondy, a suburb in the northeast of Paris, attended the same school and were coached by Wilfrid at an early age at AS Bondy. They share a Cameroonian heritage. Saliba is two years younger than Mbappé so they never played together when young but they rubbed shoulders at the Mbappé household. “Since his father was my coach [at under-11], I often went to his home,” Saliba told Le Populaire. “He was a real coach. He taught me everything and if I’m here today, it’s thanks to him.”

Saliba was seen as a little clumsy because of his height but it also helped him create havoc and dominate opposition players. Wilfrid Mbappé preached versatility and turned Saliba from a midfielder into a centre back — in a team that played in the colours of Aston Villa.

He and Mbappé started out at Bondy but the parallels ended there. The PSG striker was a prodigy and the defender emerged later. Mbappé joined Clairefontaine academy and Monaco, making his debut a month short of his 17th birthday. Saliba went on trial at PSG, Auxerre and Le Havre but nothing came of them.

It was not until Saliba followed Fabio Frasconi, his Bondy coach, to Montfermeil, an amateur club, that he started to flourish. Frasconi said that he needed to improve his co-ordination. “He began to show the calmness that you see today,” Abdelaziz Kaddour, the Montfermeil technical director, said. “He was a year younger than his team-mates, but dominated them with his size and authority. We also agreed with William to make an effort at school and stop falling asleep late.”

Saint-Étienne spotted him and Saliba impressed in their youth side, who enjoyed a good season in 2016-17 finishing top of their group and beating Lyons. He made his senior league debut in September last year, in place of captain Loïc Perrin, and ended the season making 16 appearances, 13 from the start. “I remember that in my first match, Yann M’Vila [the Saint-Étienne midfielder] told me not to hesitate to give the ball to him when I was in trouble, even if he was in a hurry,” Saliba said. “It made me comfortable.”

In his second match against Lille in October, he was asked to play right back. He telephoned Frasconi for advice. “It touched me that we spoke for more than half an hour about the tactical aspect of this position,” Frasconi said. “I felt I was speaking with a guy with ten years of a professional career behind him. It’s impressive that everything has gone so fast for William.”

He played twice in October and four more times in December and has thanked Jean-Louis Gasset, his Saint-Étienne coach, for the chances to play. “Even when I was bad, because of my youth and inexperience, he kept playing me,” Saliba has said. “It is thanks to him that I was able to have this progression. He taught me to be a man. He has trained so many great players that he has a lot of advice to give.”

In April, Saliba signed a contract until 2023 and was picked by France for the Under-20 World Cup a month later but withdrew because of injury.

Saint-Étienne will earn twice the amount received for Kurt Zouma, the centre back who moved to Chelsea for about £13 million in January 2014.

Perrin, the Saint-Étienne captain, said Saliba came out of his shell in the dressing room during the season. “When he arrived there he was reserved but now he has begun to open up,” Perrin said. “When we celebrated our under-19 side winning a cup competition William said in a serious tone, ‘Come on, we’re going to celebrate the achievements of the young ones.’ It was funny because he is still young.” Saliba already sees himself on another stage.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/spor ... -jmfnv96br
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Zenith » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:15 pm

Time for some home-made gifs.

Matches Marcus Thuram—one of the quickest and most physically imposing wingers in France—for pace, then bullies him off the ball -

*Much to Thuram's exasperation.

Recovers the ball, dribbles his way out of a confined space, then goes on to carry the ball 40 yards higher up field whilst leaving opposing players in his wake -

Beats 6'7'' Kalidou Sidibé in the air -

Displays great balance whilst jockeying Jonathan Bamba, then matches him for acceleration and subsequently bullies him off the ball (and the field) -

Channeling his inner Pirlo -

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Sims » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:21 pm

Just spaffed all over my sheets

Nice one
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Zedie » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:05 am

Zenith wrote:Time for some home-made gifs.

Matches Marcus Thuram—one of the quickest and most physically imposing wingers in France—for pace, then bullies him off the ball -

*Much to Thuram's exasperation.

Recovers the ball, dribbles his way out of a confined space, then goes on to carry the ball 40 yards higher up field whilst leaving opposing players in his wake -

Beats 6'7'' Kalidou Sidibé in the air -

Displays great balance whilst jockeying Jonathan Bamba, then matches him for acceleration and subsequently bullies him off the ball (and the playing field) -

Channeling his inner Pirlo -

That last pass us absolutely disgusting.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:25 am

Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Nuggets » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:26 am

He does look the business, pity we have to wait another year for him to play for us.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk