Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby PairyGrows » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:39 pm

Well, we don't have money. That means we have no choice but to bank on unproven youth players. Are they ready to step up? Probably not but needs must.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Zedie » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:53 pm

Emeryates wrote:I was reading the Denis Suarez debacle more closely, and Sven was frustrated apparently because he wanted a youth team player to step up instead of getting Suarez on loan.

While Suarez's injury issues meant that it was a mistake to get him on loan, the idea that Sako was ready is ridiculous

Any of those kids thrown into PL matches would probably ended up like many other kids that were pushed into starting too early without loan experience:

Certain sections of fans would judge them the same as their peers and they would be labelled shite and not good enough etc. Arsenal career over before its started.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:15 pm

Does anyone know much about Freddie Ljungberg? He's been promoted into this position with the idea of him helping the youth transition from the youth level to the senior team.

I honestly think he could be in the running for Arsenal manager or a caretaker manager if Emery loses further control. It's one thing upsetting the established players but we can't afford to lose young prospect players and quite few stories of young players being upset with the lack of opportunities presented. Just wondering where Freddie will stand on this and how hard he will push to trust the youth.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Phil71 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:24 pm

I know he used to have red hair and wore fur coats.

Wasn't too bad going forward either.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Emeryates » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:32 pm

Zedie wrote:
Emeryates wrote:I was reading the Denis Suarez debacle more closely, and Sven was frustrated apparently because he wanted a youth team player to step up instead of getting Suarez on loan.

While Suarez's injury issues meant that it was a mistake to get him on loan, the idea that Sako was ready is ridiculous

Any of those kids thrown into PL matches would probably ended up like many other kids that were pushed into starting too early without loan experience:

Certain sections of fans would judge them the same as their peers and they would be labelled shite and not good enough etc. Arsenal career over before its started.

Exactly. Suarez was dreadful, but the idea of getting Suarez on loan is far better than giving Sako minutes. Had Suarez performed to his potential, he would have been a far better option than he was.
Emeryates
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby alexafc12 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:55 pm

Emeryates wrote:
Zedie wrote:

Exactly. Suarez was dreadful, but the idea of getting Suarez on loan is far better than giving Sako minutes. Had Suarez performed to his potential, he would have been a far better option than he was.

It’s not ridiculous at all. Sven suggested to bring in Perisic who he felt was ready made for the Prem and an excellent option on loan. Inter only wanted a perm transfer.

Unai having worked with him before, was keen to bring in Suarez, however Sven raised hesitation considering he was holding an injury and questioned his suitability as the winger Arsenal were targeting.

With Perisic not available, Sven suggested we give opportunities to one of our youth players or recall Nelson (break clause was included in the deal for the first two weeks of Jan). Didn’t feel it was worth paying a c. €4-5 MIllion loan fee and hefty wages for a player carrying an injury and that wasn’t in the direct mould of a winger we needed.

This recommendation was also furthered based on the discontent within Arsenal’s youth setup.

For those that don’t know, and this genuinely is true, there are a whole host of youth players within our ranks that are hesitating signing extensions and are being courted by other teams. Primarily as they don’t see a clear route into the first team with Unai Emery as manager. Other frustrations include youth players being blocked going out on loan - As an example, Nketiah had offers from Germany to go on loan in both the summer and Jan - offers orchestrated by Ben Knapper and Sven. Unai blocked the moves during both windows and then frustratingly used him in just 1 PL game.

This formed a large basis for the decision to promote Freddie into the first team picture. He had an excellent campaign last season and with the limited money available promoting youth is seen as a viable option for us to both produce first team players and generate money from transfers.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:08 pm

alexafc12 wrote:
Emeryates wrote:
Zedie wrote:

It’s not ridiculous at all. Sven suggested to bring in Perisic who he felt was ready made for the Prem and an excellent option on loan. Inter only wanted a perm transfer.

Unai having worked with him before, was keen to bring in Suarez, however Sven raised hesitation considering he was holding an injury and questioned his suitability as the winger Arsenal were targeting.

With Perisic not available, Sven suggested we give opportunities to one of our youth players or recall Nelson (break clause was included in the deal for the first two weeks of Jan). Didn’t feel it was worth paying a c. €4-5 MIllion loan fee and hefty wages for a player carrying an injury and that wasn’t in the direct mould of a winger we needed.

This recommendation was also furthered based on the discontent within Arsenal’s youth setup.

For those that don’t know, and this genuinely is true, there are a whole host of youth players within our ranks that are hesitating signing extensions and are being courted by other teams. Primarily as they don’t see a clear route into the first team with Unai Emery as manager. Other frustrations include youth players being blocked going out on loan - As an example, Nketiah had offers from Germany to go on loan in both the summer and Jan - offers orchestrated by Ben Knapper and Sven. Unai blocked the moves during both windows and then frustratingly used him in just 1 PL game.

This formed a large basis for the decision to promote Freddie into the first team picture. He had an excellent campaign last season and with the limited money available promoting youth is seen as a viable option for us to both produce first team players and generate money from transfers.
I never know when you're being serious lol
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby alexafc12 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:41 pm

I’m being deadly serious brother
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby swipe right » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:31 am

Guarantee Emery is gone by the end of this campaign. He’s not the level required. I predict our worst season in decades at which point his contract is not renewed. Arsenal have dug themselves a deep hole with the manner in which they dumped Wenger. They should have planned for a smoother succession.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:49 am

Emeryates wrote:
Zedie wrote:

Why? Sako showed more in his performances than Suarez did!
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:13 am

Saka was the star of the show against Rapids according to reports.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:21 am

alexafc12 wrote:I’m being deadly serious brother
Ok sister
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:23 am

2 points I want to make.

1) People have been harping on about how Arsenal are no longer a big club and this and that and how we can't attract players. Well if I am not mistaken Saliba had suitors from richer/bigger clubs but chose Arsenal, the same for Pepe and the same for Ceballos. All 3 chose Arsenal. But but but, who wants to join Arsenal, a club supposedly not attractive to anyone :lol:

2) I have been honest with my analysis of Emery, there are some things I like and some things I don't. If I am not mistaken again, 2 of the 3 signings were the player's preference to play for Emery. So all this talk that Emery can't attract decent players is absolute hogwash.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby themessiah » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:12 pm

Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Callum » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:42 pm

themessiah wrote:

Looking fresh. Wenger has set the bar high in terms of our managers looking suave as f*ck, Emery's doing alright here.
Callum
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football