General Movie Discussion Thread

Re: Last movie you watched

Postby UFGN » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:59 pm

The Kid

Firstly its a charming film. The expressiveness of Jackie Coogan's acting at such a young age is amazing.

Secondly the more I learn about Charlie Chaplin the more im convinced he was superhuman. He wrote, directed and stared in most of his films, including this one. In The Great Dictator he did all that and composed most of the music. And all his films were hugely successful. Incredible

The Kid was made nearly 100 years ago btw
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Fenice » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:47 am

Angelito wrote:Phenomena (1985)

Cult classic for a reason.

I pretty much love most of Argento's works.

Same. Made his daughter a loon though didn’t he.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:21 am

Us

Dear God

One of the worst movies I've ever seen and definitely the least scary horror/thriller.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby themessiah » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:42 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Us

Dear God

One of the worst movies I've ever seen and definitely the least scary horror/thriller.

Get Out, IT, and Us, are the only good newer horror movies. Conjuring series is poor, Hereditary was god awful, Midsommar looks f***ing terrible (not wasting money in that shit). Plots that keep you guessing and anxious for the characters are the only good horror movies.
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby themessiah » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:48 pm

BTW I can’t wait to get higher then a f***ing kite and go see the GOATS new movie in a months time once upon a time in Hollywood. It’s gonna be fantastic

Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby GoonerJeff » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:13 pm

Angelito wrote:Phenomena (1985)

Cult classic for a reason.

I pretty much love most of Argento's works.

Ur the man! Love Argento!
GoonerJeff
Michael Thomas

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:37 am

Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Angelito » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:25 pm

Scorsese has never been my cup of tea. I don't know why. I admire him immensely but as Scorsese himself says about movies, his movies don't speak to me.

It's the same with Spielberg. ET is amongst my childhood favorites but his movies simply don't speak to me at a deeper level.

Out of American filmmakers from the 70s, the likes of Lynch, De Palma, Coppola, Carpenter, Altman, Corman, etc., have engaged me more than Scorsese or Spielberg.

My favorite Scorsese films, however, are After Hours and Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore. Could watch either any day of the week.

Kubrick, in contrast, is a genius and is up there with Billy Wilder and Frank Capra as the greatest filmmakers who primarily made movies in America. He's perhaps the greatest American filmmaker of all time.

Kubrick's movies are so deep in thought even if the plot isn't the strongest aspect of his movies. He's amongst the filmmakers who experimented with the philosophy of the film medium the most. Of course, Kubrick's other counterpart in Russia, who did so, is arguably the greatest filmmaker born into Western thought.

All that said, I believe comparing filmmakers is a novice game as each great filmmaker has a distinct style and philosophy that is profound and exclusive.

I'd like to hear Zenith's perspective on this Kubrick vs Scorsese thing.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:01 pm

Who is Kubrick's Russian counterpart?

Also, I want to here your perspective on Kubrick vs Lynch, just because I know you'll be torn.

:sneaky2:

As an aside I recently read that Kubrick declared Eraserhead to be his favorite movie.

That's high praise.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:58 am

Fenice wrote:Loved far from home. Nice comic book nods, tons of humor, adds Parker’s intelligence to Holland’s portrayal. What’s not to love? Girlfriend really enjoyed it. A+

Yeah I thought they did Mystero justice tbf the he's always seemed super powerful but its all fake kind of thing, they presented it in quite a clever way.

Tbh I'm not and never have been the biggest Spidey fan even back when I was a kid, but yes it was a decent movie for him.

Looking to see what they come up with for next year now, they made a ton of announcements for their new stuff.

Oh and Top Gun 2 next year ffs, I cannot wait for that sh*t, I love Top Gun, one of my all time favs.

You can say whatever you want about the 80's / 90's but god damn they knew how to invent new concepts for movies and then deliver.

I could do an entire list of films that had fk all CGI, no high tech just great acting and atmosphere popping off the screen ........... and its why all they do these days are rehash the Golden oldies.......... even Marvel movies are drawing on all the ideas of the comics from the last 50 years.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Zenith » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:21 am

Angelito wrote:I'd like to hear Zenith's perspective on this Kubrick vs Scorsese thing.

Scorsese is a master-story(t)(s)eller; he has a rare, some even claim an unrivalled knack for efficiently (and meticulously) selling highly compressed and lengthy information, whether visually or phonetically, without losing the viewer's attention, making most of his films more accessible and easier to assimilate for the casual film watcher.

Kubrick's films also contain a lot of information, but he tends to be more subtle, at times even cryptic, but the storytelling is less spoon-fed. Almost all of his films have a subtle, perceptive, underlying message, a study, his own personal philosophical take on humanity—often its dark side. In addition to being a deep thinker, his eye for detail and high regard for aesthetics make him a versatile genius, an eclectic visionary.
*Not everyone knows how heavily involved he was in the cinematography and other technical aspects of his films.

What Kubrick and Scorsese do have in common is that—other than the obvious fact that they are geniuses in their own way—and, despite using very dissimilar cinematic languages, both directors have managed to craft their own characteristic, distinct style which (for me) earns them a place among the most influential Silent Generation American filmmakers.

In case you were hoping if I had a strong personal preference and was going to elaborate in great detail as to why, I don't and therefore can't. I'd be lying to both you and myself, thus, I'm not sorry to have disappointed you. :P
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:48 pm

Zenith what do you think about Lynch?
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Angelito » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:59 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Who is Kubrick's Russian counterpart?

Tarkovsky.

He absolutely hated 2001. Watch Solaris if you haven't and let me know what you feel re: 2001 vs Solaris.

Also, I want to here your perspective on Kubrick vs Lynch, just because I know you'll be torn.

:sneaky2:

David Lynch is my favorite filmmaker of all time, so as far as personal taste goes, it's Lynch over everyone else.

I was drawn to the Lynchian world in a magnetic way that I cannot describe. Mulholland Drive, for me personally, is the finest expression of cinema this century. It's an intoxicating experience that defines cinema in that truest way, which has rarely been accomplished before.

But, overall, I'd say Kubrick has a bigger influence simply because his work is more accessible than Lynch's works are. Not to say Lynch's work isn't. Of course: Straight Story, Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, and Wild at Heart rival any filmmaker's best film. That said, for film students, cinephiles, cine-goers, and critics, Kubrick's work function at a level that could be rationalized. Meanwhile, with Lynch, his best works like Mulholland Drive and Eraserhead are surreal masterpieces that go beyond rationality.

My favorite Lynch movie is actually Lost Highway. It's not his best, but there's a gravitas in it that subjectively resonates within me.

As an aside I recently read that Kubrick declared Eraserhead to be his favorite movie.

That's high praise.

I heard it's Godfather, Eraserhead, and Rosemary's Baby?

Coming from Kubrick, it's the ultimate praise. The man's arguably the most complete filmmaker ever. Almost. I say almost if it hadn't been for Akira Kurosawa.

Zenith wrote:
Angelito wrote:I'd like to hear Zenith's perspective on this Kubrick vs Scorsese thing.

Scorsese is a master-story(t)(s)eller; he has a rare, some would even claim an unrivalled knack for efficiently (and meticulously) selling highly compressed and lengthy information, whether visually or phonetically, without losing the viewer's attention, making most of his films more accessible and easier to assimilate for the casual film watcher.

Kubrick's films also contain a lot of information, but he tends to be more subtle, at times even cryptic, but the storytelling is less spoon-fed. Almost all of his films have a subtle, perceptive, underlying message, a study, his own personal philosophical take on humanity—often its dark side. In addition to being a deep thinker, his eye for detail and high regard for aesthetics make him a versatile genius, an eclectic visionary.
*Not everyone knows how heavily involved he was in the cinematography and other technical aspects of his films.

What Kubrick and Scorsese do have in common is that—other than the obvious fact that they are geniuses in their own way—and, despite using very dissimilar cinematic languages, both directors have managed to craft their own characteristic, distinct style which (for me) earns them a place among the most influential Silent Generation American filmmakers.

In case you were hoping if I had a strong personal preference and was going to elaborate in great detail as to why, I don't and therefore can't. I'd be lying to both you and myself, thus, I'm not sorry to have disappointed you. :P

I think you hit the nail on the head with Scorsese being accessible to every kind of cinema-goer. I'd say Billy Wilder is the king of that, but for most people, Scorsese is the bridge between Spielberg's blockbuster cinema and Fellini's artsy cinema. That's why he's so cherished by all sections of fans—whether casual viewers or students of cinema.

Personally, I think Scorsese's counterpart from that era is Roman Polanski, who was equally accessible to regular cinema fans as well as more critical viewers of film. Kubrick's contemporary is, of course, the genius Tarkovsky, but Tarkovsky's works aren't for everyone whereas most Kubrick movies are easier to understand/take in.

What are your favorite movies of Scorsese and Kubrick?
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:21 pm

Yesterday

Its a great vehicle for the Beatles' music.

The scene with CGI older John Lennon made me well up.

7/10
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Fenice » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:42 am

UFGN wrote:Yesterday

Its a great vehicle for the Beatles' music.

The scene with CGI older John Lennon made me well up.

7/10

Scene was brilliant. I’ll match your 7/10.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to Films