The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby swipe right » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:14 am

To me it’s about what system is Emery going to play. If you play two CMs behind Ozil and two wingers you can give him the free role. Let him play between the lines and create opportunities. It just means everyone else has to work their socks off. It’s possible and it can work very well if the rest of the team covers for him. Even at his lethargic worst he is the one creative midfielder we have left. Putting another Torreira or Guendozi style player in his position is not going to help.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Nuggets » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:51 am

theHotHead wrote:Its the classic situation when a player is simply better than the players around him and on a different wavelength. No player in the Arsenal squad has come close to playing at the level Ozil has played at for a decade. He may not be at that level now but he is still head and shoulders better than most. The problem is consistency, how do we get the most out of Ozil? How do we make him more consistent.

Ozil is missing a Cazorla type player, with the technical ability and vision that is superior to most.

You keep banging on that old drum lol :rofll:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby thebigbangtheo » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:48 am

swipe right wrote:Let’s make the most of him. Free role with two mobile CMs behind him and runners coming in off the flanks to feed off his service. Assists galore.

I'm of a similar opinion and to me that's pretty much the only way he should have been played from day one, and think le prof thought something similar when you consider the Coquelan, Santi, Ozil set up.

If he'd of got the upgrade to Coquelan we required and we hadn't misdiagnosed Santi's injury, isn't it likely that Wenger would still be here, with Arsenal still having it's identity for brilliant attacking, entertaining football prominent at the top tier of football?

Playing devils advocate, if Ozil was on say £180k pw, would he still have been embroiled in the furore surrounding his performance return of the last year or so, or would we have a greater appreciation of his skill set?

Personally, I believe that the fall out from his poor showing at the world cup and subsequent premature end of his international career for non footballing reasons, along with the emotional and psychological turmoil that inflicted, has not been fully appreciated and all too readily dismissed.

Players come and go, so we have all had to endure seeing a favourite depart the club at some point and we learn to move on. With that in mind, I would love to see him stay and start the season playing like Ozil circa 2015/16, then just before Christmas he's spotted having an ice cream in-between Lampard and Solskjaer.
Last edited by thebigbangtheo on Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Santi » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:24 pm

aniym wrote:https://www.fenerbahce.org/haberler/kulup/2019/7/bilgilendirme-1

Fenerbahce release statement saying they cannot afford Ozil and have not contacted the player.

We have an £18m millstone around our necks thanks to Gaz and Wenger. Although I suppose they couldn't have known that he'd put all the money towards perfecting his cloak of invisibility.

Told u, he’s going nowhere. Thank god.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:09 pm

Nuggets wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Its the classic situation when a player is simply better than the players around him and on a different wavelength. No player in the Arsenal squad has come close to playing at the level Ozil has played at for a decade. He may not be at that level now but he is still head and shoulders better than most. The problem is consistency, how do we get the most out of Ozil? How do we make him more consistent.

Ozil is missing a Cazorla type player, with the technical ability and vision that is superior to most.

You keep banging on that old drum lol :rofll:

Its a well oiled drum, nothing wrong with it. Until the skin breaks or I lose my drumsticks expect the drum to keep playing.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Goonerz » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:22 pm

EliteKiller wrote:Is that the best we can expect? Fenerbahçe will take Ozil on loan but only pay 100k a week of his 350k salary ... so we would pay 12m next season to have him not play for us? .... might as well pay the 18m and have him as a back-up

But according to his blinkered disciples “He is a world class player, best No10, too good and big for a club lik Arsenal. We are lucky to have him. Deserves better than Arsenal. All clubs would scramble for his signature blah blah...”
Lol

And since our only world class player has been here (6 seasons) he has only ever been linked to PSG on loan, Chinese club, Fenerbahce on loan. Imagine a so called world class player only ever being linked to those sorts of clubs.

But but but he is one of the best players in the world :rofll:
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Goonerz » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:46 pm

Talk about living firmly in the Ozil bubble where reality is upside down.
Reminds me of the TRUMP fanbase.
:rofll:
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby StLGooner » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:49 pm

I can see it now, when Ozil has a good game this season all the Ozil lovers come out in full force and say "haterz on suicide watch".

Ozil has a bad game and all the Ozil haterz come out in full force and say "Ozil lovers on suicide watch".

:rolleyes:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:55 pm

swipe right wrote:To me it’s about what system is Emery going to play. If you play two CMs behind Ozil and two wingers you can give him the free role. Let him play between the lines and create opportunities. It just means everyone else has to work their socks off. It’s possible and it can work very well if the rest of the team covers for him. Even at his lethargic worst he is the one creative midfielder we have left. Putting another Torreira or Guendozi style player in his position is not going to help.

He has plays with two CM'S behind him already. Earlier in the season we played three up front, in the Europa League he had two up front with overlapping wing backs either side.

The formation makes no difference. He can play a blinder against Leicester City in one system and then play the exact same system three games in a row and it doesn't come close to his top form.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Angelito » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:26 pm

StLGooner wrote:I can see it now, when Ozil has a good game this season all the Ozil lovers come out in full force and say "haterz on suicide watch".

Ozil has a bad game and all the Ozil haterz come out in full force and say "Ozil lovers on suicide watch".

That's why I want him to go. It seems unlikely that he goes anywhere now, so this Soap Opera FC will continue its shit:

- Booing their own iconic players (just add Kosc as a new member now, if he forces the issue);
- Drama that surrounded Wenger for years;
- Why Ozil no play like Messi?;
- Alexis traitor—Imma gonna kill 'ya;
- Why Ozil worse than my grandma? Imma gonna kill 'ya - The Sequel;
- Honest Stan Kroenke will Make Arsenal Great Again;
- Monster Ozil crushes innocent Unai - Season 19/20

Every game we lose, this thread will be bumped up. The media will run its narrative about Ozil because he'd already be causing mutiny amongst our fans. In all of this, Unai, Raul, and Kroenke will go scotfree.

Soap Opera FC.

Please end this shit.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Goonerz » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:41 pm

thebigbangtheo wrote:
swipe right wrote:Let’s make the most of him. Free role with two mobile CMs behind him and runners coming in off the flanks to feed off his service. Assists galore.

I'm of a similar opinion and to me that's pretty much the only way he should have been played from day one, and think le prof thought something similar when you consider the Coquelan, Santi, Ozil set up.

If he'd of got the upgrade to Coquelan we required and we hadn't misdiagnosed Santi's injury, isn't it likely that Wenger would still be here, with Arsenal still having it's identity for brilliant attacking, entertaining football prominent at the top tier of football?

Playing devils advocate, if Ozil was on say £180k pw, would he still have been embroiled in the furore surrounding his performance return of the last year or so, or would we have a greater appreciation of his skill set?

Personally, I believe that the fall out from his poor showing at the world cup and subsequent premature end of his international career for non footballing reasons, along with the emotional and psychological turmoil that inflicted, has not been fully appreciated and all too readily dismissed.

Players come and go, so we have all had to endure seeing a favourite depart the club at some point and we learn to move on. With that in mind, I would love to see him stay and start the season playing like Ozil circa 2015/16, then just before Christmas he's spotted having an ice cream in-between Lampard and Solskjaer.

I think he would have been criticised on the same level the likes of xhaka, Mkhi, Ramsey etc were / are being criticised at. Average etc.

Ozil is being criticised more harshly due to the hype his followers keep heaping on him. Statements like;
“Its the classic situation when a player is simply better than the players around him and on a different wavelength. No player in the Arsenal squad has come close to playing at the level Ozil has played at for a decade.
“He is the best attacking mid in the world (best No10).
He is our only world class player.
He is too good for Arsenal.
He deserves better than Arsenal.
The team should play to Ozil’s Strengths.
Give Ozil whatever wages he is asking for.
If Arsenal let Ozil go we will boycott the whole club or riot” etc

On top of that he was Our first ever record signing in our history. Our first ever player to be paid £150,000 a week. The only ever Arsenal player in history to be paid £350,000 a week. Etc.

If the likes of Xhaka, Ramsey, Mkhi etc had that sort of cult following, hype, held our club to ransom for a £350,000 a week contract but then did not deliver the performances that warranted that sort of hype and wages then most definitely they would get the same treatment / criticism Ozil is getting / gets.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby LMAO » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:45 pm

StLGooner wrote:I can see it now, when Ozil has a good game this season all the Ozil lovers come out in full force and say "haterz on suicide watch".

My man is out here with both 2018 and 2020 vision :smart:
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby StLGooner » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:46 pm

Angelito wrote:

That's why I want him to go. It seems unlikely that he goes anywhere now, so this Soap Opera FC will continue its shit:

- Booing their own iconic players (just add Kosc as a new member now, if he forces the issue);
- Drama that surrounded Wenger for years;
- Why Ozil no play like Messi?;
- Alexis traitor—Imma gonna kill 'ya;
- Why Ozil worse than my grandma? Imma gonna kill 'ya - The Sequel;
- Honest Stan Kroenke will Make Arsenal Great Again;
- Monster Ozil crushes innocent Unai - Season 19/20

Every game we lose, this thread will be bumped up. The media will run its narrative about Ozil because he'd already be causing mutiny amongst our fans. In all of this, Unai, Raul, and Kroenke will go scotfree.

Soap Opera FC.

Please end this shit.

Yes please do!

We're in for a long season though friend.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:47 pm

LMAO wrote:

My man is out here with both 2018 and 2020 vision :smart:

:lol:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Nuggets » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:30 pm

Goonerz wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:Is that the best we can expect? Fenerbahçe will take Ozil on loan but only pay 100k a week of his 350k salary ... so we would pay 12m next season to have him not play for us? .... might as well pay the 18m and have him as a back-up

But according to his blinkered disciples “He is a world class player, best No10, too good and big for a club lik Arsenal. We are lucky to have him. Deserves better than Arsenal. All clubs would scramble for his signature blah blah...”
Lol

And since our only world class player has been here (6 seasons) he has only ever been linked to PSG on loan, Chinese club, Fenerbahce on loan. Imagine a so called world class player only ever being linked to those sorts of clubs.

But but but he is one of the best players in the world :rofll:

Only the blinkerd fanboys think that. :rofll:
Nuggets

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club