2019 Women's World Cup

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: 2019 Women's World Cup

Postby StLGooner » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:11 pm

EliteKiller wrote:
StLGooner wrote:What did she do that was so wrong? I still don't understand the hate for her. We all know how the media is and how they will grab onto any little thing and sensationalize it, this is just another attempt to do with Rapinoe. All she did was make a comment about the white house months before this tournament started, the media decides to recycle the quote right when the tournament started to stir up some controversy of course. What else has she done to make people believe that she thinks it's all about her? Other players have said, even before trump that they didn't want to visit the white house. Why is it now such a big deal that a Lesbian feminist says it? Plus people ask them these questions, they don't just come out hold their own press conference and decide to start trouble, they're just being truthful. I wouldn't visit the white house either to be honest. I've already been there, it's just a big fancy house and you can't touch anything in it, pretty boring! Ha!

Not that fussed about the white house, who she sleeps with, what her feminist beliefs are ... but would much rather she talked about football than just about everything else ... feel exactly the same when male players start giving their opinions on everything from shopping to aliens ... but by far my biggest gripe is the constant "we deserve the same as the men" ... why?

Does Mustafi earn the same as Auba? does a lower league professional earn the same as Messi? You earn what you're worth, get an agent fight your corner, and then get paid what the market says you're worth, pretty much the same as in any other job ... the reason nobody signs women players for 100m is because today there is no billion dollar industry to support that, exactly the same logic applies to wages

Who knows one day there will be a billion dollar women's league, or one day we'll see combined football teams, but until then to say "we deserve it" is just arrogant ... and to repeat it over and over well that's just bloody annoying

That's besides the whole point and I agree.

But she's not the only female saying this though, she's one voice out of thousands, why pick on her and single her out? And I'm not saying you personally, but lets be honest, it's the right hating on her because she's a lesbian we all know it. Don't fall for their bigotry.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Emeryates » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:00 pm

Btw, the women actually earn more for the federation than the men do. While there is a huge disparity in prize money, one actually reaches and wins stuff, the other didn't even qualify for the World Cup

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-wo ... Xjy5ugdc4M

Trump’s comments insinuate that the women’s soccer team doesn’t bring in as much revenue as the men’s soccer team. But in the three years after the women’s team won the World Cup in 2015, their games generated more total revenue than men’s games, according to The Wall Street Journal. The 2015 Women’s World Cup final also had more views than any soccer match in U.S. history, men’s or women’s, at that time.

Recently, Nike announced that the U.S. women’s team’s jersey is now the soccer jersey with the highest sales on its website in one season.

Sure, women teams in general are nowhere near as popular as the male teams, but the US seems to be a major exception to that.
Emeryates
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Santi » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:42 pm

Losmeister wrote:
Santi wrote:Stuck up USA bitches win again. Dutch have been a let down.

sour grapes dude. their teh better team by head and shoulder

miedema is higuain

Of course they’re the better team, everybody knew that before the match. Doesn’t mean they don’t all love themselves.

Rapinoe is the worst, don’t know why Morgan didn’t get the pen assist (was her fouled right?) to win the golden boot on assists. That was a shame.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:43 pm

Losmeister wrote:
LMAO wrote:Also one of the rare times I'd give the opposition GK POTM.

Without her, it could've easily been an embarrassing scoreline.

yeah, giving it to Pinoe was gratuitous...

excellent pt

They gave it to the GK here :dontknow:
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:44 pm

Losmeister wrote:for all the hype i heard about Sam and Miedema...rose lavelle easily outplayed both...

is it me, or does she look like a classic irish lass?

She does, quite cute I thought ;)

Banging goal as well
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:45 pm

I love Rose, she's a little magician in the middle of the pitch. There is something kind of weirdly cute about her tbh.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Losmeister » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:08 pm

Santi wrote:
Losmeister wrote:
Santi wrote:Stuck up USA bitches win again. Dutch have been a let down.

sour grapes dude. their teh better team by head and shoulder

miedema is higuain

Of course they’re the better team, everybody knew that before the match. Doesn’t mean they don’t all love themselves.

Rapinoe is the worst, don’t know why Morgan didn’t get the pen assist (was her fouled right?) to win the golden boot on assists. That was a shame.

oh i got rapin oe fatigue as well.... doenst make her a "stuck up bitch" (or any of the others)
seems that sam for the aussies was the most stuck up to me.
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Dejan » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:33 am

Van den donk <3

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:29 am

The problem stems from a lack of understanding ....

The Women's team get paid a basic 70k by the US governing body, the men's get paid a basic 120k ... that's not equitable and should be sorted out ... worth noting that since 2018 the men have played 23 internationals the women 29 internationals (7 at the WC) ... so why not the same pay?

But for the World Cup it's FIFA who provide the prize money and it's all based on income ... the women get 13% of revenue, the men get 9% of revenue ... the cash disparity comes about because the men's world cup generates almost 10 times the revenue that the women's does ...

If you were to pay the women the same cash prize money as the men it would cost more than the entire FIFA revenue for the event ...

If the women's world cup were to generate the same income as the men's they currently they would actually get more ... but it doesn't so until it does they should stop whining ... either that or join the men's game ... that would be true equality
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Losmeister » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:16 pm

EliteKiller wrote:
The Women's team get paid a basic 70k by the US governing body, the men's get paid a basic 120k ... that's not equitable and should be sorted out ... worth noting that since 2018 the men have played 23 internationals the women 29 internationals (7 at the WC) ... so why not the same pay?

this.

and yes, absolute equality is not possible cos they ccannot compete w/ the men.
for lawyers, doctors, execs equal work and equal pay is possible.
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby StLGooner » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:07 pm

Apparently they just signed a bill to give women equal pay. I'm guessing it still has to pass, but interesting to see how this goes.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby LMAO » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:46 pm

Actually think the USWNT should be paid more than the USMNT (at least presently) for tournaments :hiding:

The USWNT brought in $11,400,000 in 2018; the USMNT brought in $10,325,000. I'm sure that number will be greater for the USWNT in 2019 due to the WWC.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Zenith » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:04 pm

LMAO wrote:Actually think the USWNT should be paid more than the USMNT (at least presently) for tournaments :hiding:

The USWNT brought in $11,400,000 in 2018; the USMNT brought in $10,325,000. I'm sure that number will be greater for the USWNT in 2019 due to the WWC.

Prodiving those figures cover the whole picture, the Women's team should indeed have received greater financial rewards for their performances at the international stage.

Player earnings should be determined by achievements and relative to revenue generated, not level or gender.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby LMAO » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:08 am

Zenith wrote:
LMAO wrote:Actually think the USWNT should be paid more than the USMNT (at least presently) for tournaments :hiding:

Prodiving those figures cover the whole picture, the Women's team should indeed have received greater financial rewards for their performances at the international stage.

Player earnings should be determined by achievements and relative to revenue generated, not level or gender.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/08/sport/us ... index.html

$900,000: How much more revenue the women's team generated than the men's team from fiscal year 2016 to 2018, according to the Washington Post.

$3,662,480: The amount spent on development for women's teams (under-14 teams to under-23 teams) in fiscal year 2016, according to the proposed fiscal year 2018 budget.

$7,438,159: The amount spent on development for men's teams in fiscal year 2016.

$11,400,000: The total projected revenue of the women's events (such as friendlies and tournament play) in fiscal year 2018. After expenses, the team made the US Soccer Federation money, with a surplus of just over $2 million, according to the proposed fiscal year 2018 budget.

$10,325,000: The total projected revenue of the men's events in fiscal year 2018. After expenses, the team had a deficit of just over $3.5 million.

$240,019: Carli Lloyd's salary in 2015, after winning the World Cup, according FiveThirtyEight.

$428,022: Clint Dempsey's salary in 2014, after losing in the round of 16 in the World Cup, according to FiveThirtyEight.

$4,950: The maximum amount per game the women's team would earn if they played 20 friendlies and won them all, according to the lawsuit, for a maximum total of $99,000.

$13,166: The average amount per game the men's team would earn if they played 20 friendlies and won them all, according to the lawsuit, for a total of $263,320.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Santi » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:12 pm

Is this just about direct revenue to US from the teams and their respective payouts? Otherwise it’s missing the fact that while the US women’s team is popular and brings in good money, most others and the sport of women’s football in general is a million miles behind the men’s.
Comp prize money will never be the same so they will always earn less payouts even if they win and the men don’t get out of the group stage.

Fully support it if it’s direct money raised by the women playing and they’re just being paid less for no reason. Otherwise it’s supply and demand of the market not just the US teams.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Previous

Return to World Football