Robin van Persie ~ The Flying Dutchman

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Robin van Persie ~ The Flying Dutchman

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:34 pm

We hardly "ruined" them.

It was a 2-1 come from behind win.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Angelito » Sun May 12, 2019 4:02 pm

Robin van Persie's final game as a professional ended in defeat as Feyenoord were beaten by ADO Den Haag.

The 35-year-old, who made his debut for the Rotterdam club as a 17-year-old, scored 50 goals in 102 appearances for the Netherlands.

In England, van Persie won an FA Cup with Arsenal and a Premier League title at Manchester United.

His 144 Premier League goals make him the highest-scoring Dutchman in the competition.

Erik Falkenburg put Den Haag ahead at the De Kuip stadium on Sunday, before Sheraldo Becker doubled the visitors' lead 13 minutes into the second half.

Van Persie will not feature against Fortuna Sittard in Feyenoord's final game of the season on Wednesday - a match which was originally due to be played on 28 April.

However, the Dutch FA decided to cancel a full round of fixtures prior to Ajax's Champions League semi-final clash against Tottenham to give Erik ten Hag's team "at least two full days of rest between games".

Feyenoord manager Giovanni van Bronckhorst, whose side are guaranteed to finish third in the Eredivisie, confirmed last week that van Persie's last match would be against Den Haag.

Good luck, Flying Dutchman.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun May 12, 2019 4:10 pm

Unlucky to play for us when he did, one of the best players in the world at the time but will be remembered by Arsenal fans (including myself) as a nearly-man.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sun May 12, 2019 4:25 pm

Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Phil71 » Sun May 12, 2019 4:33 pm

Tony_Adams wrote:Unlucky to play for us when he did, one of the best players in the world at the time but will be remembered by Arsenal fans (including myself) as a nearly-man.

...and a treacherous piece of shit.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun May 12, 2019 4:46 pm

Tony_Adams wrote:Unlucky to play for us when he did, one of the best players in the world at the time but will be remembered by Arsenal fans (including myself) as a nearly-man.

At any other club, he wouldve been a permanent bench option like Sturridge. He didn't have a top season until he was 27yo, most clubs wouldn't have been so patient with him. Unfortunate that he split his peak between us and Utd.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun May 12, 2019 4:57 pm

My favourite player ever.

Also the most aesthetic and technically elegant player I've ever seen.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby looper007 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:26 am

He's a weird case is RVP. His last season with us was the best I've seen in the Emirates era. He dragged a bang average team to top 4. But even though we understood why he wanted out to join Utd, I can see both sides of the coin with some disliking him and some still rating him.

His legacy at Utd is probably getting stronger then at Arsenal cause his goals bought them their last title since then, even though he did nothing else after that season. Feyenoord seem fine with him. I don't know about Fenerbache. Even though I think he was massively injury prone and probably for the amount of time we stood behind him, he could have given us another season or two. No player is loyal anymore unless you are winning stuff. So he did what was best for him and it proved him right. I doubt he cares if we're upset at him or not.

For me if Cesc is welcomed back by the fan's then RVP should be too. But that's just my opinion.
looper007
Michael Thomas

Postby Angelito » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:41 pm

'I could have gone to Italy or Spain' - Van Persie has no regrets over leaving Arsenal for Man Utd

The former striker's decision to leave the Emirates soured his relationship with the club's support, but he stands by his decision

Robin van Persie has revealed he had several chances to leave Arsenal before he finally quit to join Manchester United in 2012, and insisted he has no regrets over infuriating Gunners fans with his decision to walk away from the club.

In an exclusive interview with Goal at BT Sport studios in London, the Dutch striker - who spent eight years at Arsenal - admitted his first game against his former club was one of the more difficult in his career, especially after he scored just three minutes into the game.

Yet he suggests the Premier League title winners' medal he collected in his first season at United justified the move, as he gave his thoughts on the jeers of Arsenal fans when he returned to Emirates Stadium.

"You know that once you make a move like that, stuff like that happens," Van Persie said. "You have to take it on the chin and move on.

"You have to live with the consequences, you have to live with the choices you make and deal with them as a man. Don't take it all too personally and don't take yourself too seriously. This is my life, this is what I did and some people are happy with it, some people are not. That's life.

"The first game against Arsenal was mentally tough. It was at home in Manchester and I scored after three minutes. That was a very mixed feeling at that time because it was so soon. Afterward, I played six or seven times [against Arsenal], but that's [what happens] if you make a move like that."

The criticism that followed Van Persie as he gave up the Arsenal captain's armband to join one of their great rivals soured his relationship with the club's fans, but he insists he looks back on his time working under Gunners boss Arsene Wenger fondly, despite the lack of trophy success.

"Arsenal gave me the chance to play in the Premier League as a young kid when I was having a difficult time with Feyenoord," he continued. "In my last period there, I was playing in the reserves. Arsenal saw something in me and they gave me that chance. It was a gamble from their point of view, an expensive gamble, and I took the chance with both hands.

"I stayed there for eight years, we had some great moments together and I'm still very proud of that period.

"I had chances to go before I left Arsenal. I could have gone to Italy, I could have gone to Spain, but I wasn't really open to it. I extended my contract two or three times at Arsenal and I'm still behind [that decision], like I am still behind my move to Manchester."

While Van Persie's move from Arsenal to Manchester United proved to be a huge success, the same cannot be said of Alexis Sanchez after he made the same transfer in January 2018.

Sanchez has scored just three Premier League goals for United and has been linked with a move away from the club, but Van Persie believes he could bounce back this season.

"He is still a wonderful player, still a great player," added Van Persie. "He needs to find a way to be happy again.

"If you are happy, you want to create and have fun. He had that in his first couple of months from what I saw and he needs to find that again.

"He can still play, he is still a fantastic football player. He just doesn't really look happy and the reason why this is... I don't know. I can only guess, but from distance, he looks unhappy and he needs to find a way to be happy again."
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Ach » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:23 pm

Grade A c***
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:05 pm

Angelito wrote:
'I could have gone to Italy or Spain' - Van Persie has no regrets over leaving Arsenal for Man Utd

The former striker's decision to leave the Emirates soured his relationship with the club's support, but he stands by his decision

Robin van Persie has revealed he had several chances to leave Arsenal before he finally quit to join Manchester United in 2012, and insisted he has no regrets over infuriating Gunners fans with his decision to walk away from the club.

In an exclusive interview with Goal at BT Sport studios in London, the Dutch striker - who spent eight years at Arsenal - admitted his first game against his former club was one of the more difficult in his career, especially after he scored just three minutes into the game.

Yet he suggests the Premier League title winners' medal he collected in his first season at United justified the move, as he gave his thoughts on the jeers of Arsenal fans when he returned to Emirates Stadium.

"You know that once you make a move like that, stuff like that happens," Van Persie said. "You have to take it on the chin and move on.

"You have to live with the consequences, you have to live with the choices you make and deal with them as a man. Don't take it all too personally and don't take yourself too seriously. This is my life, this is what I did and some people are happy with it, some people are not. That's life.

"The first game against Arsenal was mentally tough. It was at home in Manchester and I scored after three minutes. That was a very mixed feeling at that time because it was so soon. Afterward, I played six or seven times [against Arsenal], but that's [what happens] if you make a move like that."

The criticism that followed Van Persie as he gave up the Arsenal captain's armband to join one of their great rivals soured his relationship with the club's fans, but he insists he looks back on his time working under Gunners boss Arsene Wenger fondly, despite the lack of trophy success.

"Arsenal gave me the chance to play in the Premier League as a young kid when I was having a difficult time with Feyenoord," he continued. "In my last period there, I was playing in the reserves. Arsenal saw something in me and they gave me that chance. It was a gamble from their point of view, an expensive gamble, and I took the chance with both hands.

"I stayed there for eight years, we had some great moments together and I'm still very proud of that period.

"I had chances to go before I left Arsenal. I could have gone to Italy, I could have gone to Spain, but I wasn't really open to it. I extended my contract two or three times at Arsenal and I'm still behind [that decision], like I am still behind my move to Manchester."

While Van Persie's move from Arsenal to Manchester United proved to be a huge success, the same cannot be said of Alexis Sanchez after he made the same transfer in January 2018.

Sanchez has scored just three Premier League goals for United and has been linked with a move away from the club, but Van Persie believes he could bounce back this season.

"He is still a wonderful player, still a great player," added Van Persie. "He needs to find a way to be happy again.

"If you are happy, you want to create and have fun. He had that in his first couple of months from what I saw and he needs to find that again.

"He can still play, he is still a fantastic football player. He just doesn't really look happy and the reason why this is... I don't know. I can only guess, but from distance, he looks unhappy and he needs to find a way to be happy again."

No sympathy from me. Its all very well saying "dont take life too seriously" but hes become a multimillionaire off the back of people taking football seriously. There wouldn't be the money there is in the sport if people just shrugged and laughed this stuff off

Fans dont ask much. Work hard, be loyal and if you must leave, theres a very short list of clubs which are a no no.

He broke the rules. He's a f***ing c***
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby StLGooner » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:10 pm

Agreed! He's a c**t in my book too.

I don't blame him for wanting to leave, cause those were the years when we didn't show any ambition, but I blame him for going to them.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Phil71 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:43 pm

Ach wrote:Grade A c***

Yep.

f***ing arsehole.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:14 pm

eh, not fussed about this guy anymore. his career was over by age 31. unceremoniously dismissed by his own NT coach at Utd to play for Fener, then a couple of nothing seasons in the Dutch league and that's it.

he probably has a lot of regrets seeing countrymen like Robben retiring only now with a massive trophy haul, and players roughly his age like Falcao, Zlatan, Ronaldo still having viable careers.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:42 pm

The 2nd most naturally gifted player we've ever had, behind only that other Dutch Don.

:cloud9:
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club