How Do We Win The Premier League Next Season?

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: How Do We Win The Premier League Next Season?

Postby Angelito » Sun May 12, 2019 9:36 pm

People won't like this but hey, f**k it.

I'd go about this on three levels:

- Complete re-structuring at boardroom level. This includes getting rid of Sanllehi if the need be. This summer would reveal how well he functions without Mislintat, so yeah, the jury is still out on him. Existing board members and football people at Arsenal are either too busy to worry about meagre things like football, or are simply obsolete. I'm guessing it's a mixture of both. We need our own Txiki Begiristain. We need someone who understands modern football. We need balance of power. We need strategic thinkers because we won't be spending a whole lot.

- Invest more on the scouting network. More than what other clubs do. We have to invest more on profiles ranging from 17-23 in age. Unless a worldie or absolutely necessary, I wouldn't be in favor of buying any player above 26. No resale value. Rather, I'd be in favor of getting experienced PL players in and around 30 for free or for cheap, who can be mentors to young players, but won't be complaining if left on the bench. Those are players like Cech, Milner, etc.

- Hire a tactical manager who has a proven record of winning the League title, or pay over the odds for someone like Nagelsmann, Jardim, or ten Hag. The likes of Conte, Simeone, and Klopp have built sides from the ashes of destruction—and have taken them to the top. Those are the types of managers you'd want. If we can't get them, we need the likes of Nagelsmann or Jardim. The former is considered the best prospect in football management. The latter has done a similar job with Monaco.

Now, in addition to these three, we need some micromanagement:

- Know when to strike. We could have won the title in 13/14 if we'd gotten Higuain in addition to Ozil. We could have won the title in 15/16 if we'd bought Lacazette earlier, or Aubameyang. Those were Wenger's failings. That's where we needed a strong football person to decide. Liverpool have done that excellently with Alisson and van Dijk. SAF was a master at hoarding wingers and center-forwards. This brings me to...

- Invest on wingers. That was the SAF mantra. SAF usually was spoilt for riches on the flanks. He had 4-5 of 'em. We might not afford that and it's okay. But Wenger has been particularly guilty of not having direct wingers during his time here. In the Emirates era, our pure wingers:

- Alexis
- Gervinho
- Walcott
- Chamberlain

That's poverty. The ones who were deployed there—Arshavin, Rosicky, Hleb, Bendtner, Cazorla, Ramsey, Nasri, Podolski, etc. weren't natural wingers.

You need pacy, direct wingers in the Premier League to excel. It's more important here than in any other league. Sane, Sterling, and Mahrez are examples. Hazard, Pedro, Willian for Chelsea. Mane, Salah for Liverpool. The SAF way was clear. Strong defense. Wingers bombing forward and crossing. Foxes in the box.

Pretty much.

I could say a world-class CB or a world-class CM but I won't because those are big money solutions. With our resources, we can still do so much more. We're awful at selling players. That's another aspect we need to work on. We also need to be smart. Should we keep Mkhi next season? What about Mustafi? Elneny? Since we're not using him, why not give his spot to a youth player? Ozil? I love Ozil to pieces but there is a Dybala situation at Juve. Could we exploit that? Could we give Ozil's wages to Dybala in addition to £70-80m in transfer fee because the Dybala situation is special and after the season he's had, his stock is low—and for Juve, Ron and Dybala aren't compatible. Doesn't mean it will come through.

But hey, worth a punt, eh?

Btw, this isn't about next season, in particular. It's a plan that would need 2-4 years before showing some signs of progress.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Callum » Sun May 12, 2019 9:54 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:We don't.

City and Liverpool are nearly 40 points ahead, we're not overturning that deficit in one season.

But to make a start it's imperative we win the EL, if we don't get that CL money we're done for.

This, basically.

We're Liverpool circa 5 years ago, with the difference being our Hicks & Gillett era doesn't look like ending anytime soon. We need to change the recruitment structure at the top, learn how to sell players, buy efficiently and get back into the Champions League. Only when we've done all that can we even think about getting back competing for titles and even then it'll be a long shot.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Mon May 13, 2019 12:57 am

My 2 cents on a few things that we can/should do in the near term that will quickly turn our fortunes around for the better:

1. The Manager
Keep an eye out for a better manager. Someone who has good ideas, can actually implement those ideas, and is not so stubborn to ignore obvious weaknesses in opponents. Let Emery fulfill his contract if he wins the EL and there are no clear candidates available.

2. The Squad
Have at least 22 men that can be rotated without having a significant drop in performance. The third string should consist of players who are hungry to get into the first XI. i.e. the following holes need to be plugged with new signings or academy players.

Ideally:
GK: Leno, ???, ???
RB: Bellerín, ???, ???
CB: ???, Sokratis, Holding
CB ???, Koscielny, ???
LB: ???, ???, ???
DM/CB#3: ???, ???, ???
CM: Torreira, Guendouzi, ???
CM/AM: ???, ???, Smith-Rowe
RW/AM: ???, ???, Saka
LW/ST: Aubameyang, ???, Nelson
ST: Lacazette, ???, Nketiah

Realistically:
GK: Leno, Martínez, ???
RB: Bellerín, Niles, ???
CB: ???, Sokratis, ???
CB Koscielny, Holding, ???
LB: ???, Kolasinac, ???
DM/CB#3: ???, Mustafi, Monreal
CM: Torreira, Guendouzi, Xhaka/Elneny
CM/AM: ???, Smith-Rowe, ???
RW/AM: ???, Ozil, Iwobi
LW/ST: Aubameyang, Nelson, Saka
ST: Lacazette, Nketiah, ???

3. The First XI
Set a dedicated core and formation early in the season and and stick to it. Encourage competition to avoid complacency and let form decide who starts and who doesn’t. No one at any point should feel like they’re undroppable. 4-3-3 would be my choice for formation.

4. The Funds
Besides finding buyers for disposable players, start multiple fund-raising projects immediately. If we’re not going to use any money from shareholders then we should be working harder than anyone else to generate revenue. Take advantage of the clubs huge fan base both domestically and internationally but do it sensibly. There are many ways to do this and should be easy for a club of our size to raise a lot of money in a short period of time.

5. The Atmosphere
Make it intimidating or make it give the players an extra kick up the backside for every game. Again there are many ways to this. Do something with the stands or lighting, arrange something with a group of fans, create an anthem, etc.

6. The Routines
On the pitch, come up with strategies that gives us an edge. Rarely see us do anything creative in this regard. Corners, free kicks, even goal kicks and throw ins should never be taken for granted. In addition, punish offenses such as foul throws, avoidable sending offs, and giving away needless penalties to keep players focused. Off the pitch, remove distractions and have everyone on the same page. Set strict rules for things like diet, mobile phones, and team building exercises if they’re not set already or if they need improvement.
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon May 13, 2019 1:06 am

Dejan wrote:We wont

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

This and what Va Va said.

How about we prove we can make top 4 first?

We need to get rid of the trash players who contribute nothing but loses, buy players who offer something specific, goals, tackles, pace and end product etc so we know what to do with them.

Torreia and Sokratis are great examples.

Replace Ramsey, buy a top midfielder who can help drive this team with skill from midfield.

I'd say we need another top class addition (at least to replace Ramsey) either CM or Winger, we need a good CB and a LB.

Basically we need to replace Monreal, Mustafi, Ramsey, Iwobi and Elneny.

We could use a 3rd striker unless Nketiah can make the jump to 3rd choice, otherwise we need one.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby goonerj08 » Mon May 13, 2019 2:13 am

We are at least 3 summer spendings away from even thinking of winning the league. That is if we spend smartly and judiciously.

How Liverpool and Sp*rs are being run should be the model for us.
goonerj08
Patrick Vieira

Postby EliteKiller » Mon May 13, 2019 2:46 am

Put simply we don't .... but let's not despair

To win the EPL would basically mean getting better results than Man City, and for all the credit Liverpool deserve for pushing so hard, at the end off the day Liverpool had just about everything going their way and still came up short. Refs, opposition injuries, early cup exits (they played 10 games less than City) and a chances to goals conversion rate that was the best in the EPL, sure that's a mark of quality but it's also a reflection of luck and poor opposition goalkeeping. So with pretty much everything going for Liverpool, City were still to good, and no question City will strengthen yet again this summer, so realistically what chance has anyone else, us included, until Pep leaves and this City squad breaks up. You simply can't hold back the tide of money ...

But I digress, so back to us ...

Unlike a lot of the Emery doubters my own opinion is that he's squeezed pretty much the very best out of this squad, 5th place and a European Final is more than we could have expected when we compared ourselves to City, Utd, Liverpool, Spuds, Chelsea ten months ago ....

Good bits - we have seen the attacking side of our game develop to where we can get the best out off our front two, keep them and we have as good a striking partnership as anyone. With Welbeck gone who is our back-up? Nketiah not ready, same goes for Saka and John-Jules so we need a new striker, albeit not a 100m superstar, maybe a couple of 20 year old with massive potential ... title challenging quality? YES

Not so good - our defence has rightly taken a lot of stick, some justified some totally unfair (see my comments on the midfield) and with several changes coming Cech gone, Lichtsteiner gone, Kos gone there are opportunities for strengthening even before we sell off the deadwood ... a new keeper, a new experienced leader at CB, a new fullback is probably possible ... title challenging quality? NO

Downright Awful - so our midfield, creatively they do OK and they should on the salaries they get, but after that it's pretty much a disaster, no leaders, inability to maintain focus, far to many mistakes, and constantly leaving the defence exposed making them look far worse than the really are. What's even worse is arguably the best off the bunch has been let go on a free, another gift from Gazidis and Wonger the dynamic duo who's abysmal management saw us going backwards for almost a decade. But enough about them let's focus on the future. Out go Ozil, Mkhi, Ramsey in come a pair of quality defensive midfield players, and a hard working AM ... title challenging quality? NO

So that's a new striker, three new defenders, and three new midfield players ... seven players five of whom would be likely starters next season. That's possibly to many in one go but it's what we need ... that would give us a title challenging attack, however to expect a rebuilt midfield and rebuilt defence to challenge in their first season together, just not realistic ...

I foresee next season being dominated by Man City, behind them maybe a second team gives it a run but more likely it will be the usual suspects battling it out for the top four ... of course it depends on who spends what but assuming everyone is broadly equal then my view would be City top with Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool in one order or another to fill the top four ...

Achieve that and for me it would be a very good second season for The Don ... miracles will take a bit longer

I've left cups aside as they are what they are, CL/EL, FA, League would expect decent runs in at least two of the three ...
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby looper007 » Mon May 13, 2019 4:46 am

we won't be winning a title for a long long time.

We have to start getting ourselves back into been a top 4 side before we start thinking of winning titles. If the board don't back Emery with a lot of money, and we're penny pinching every summer and selling off our best assets to fund it. I think we will end up a mid table team before too long. With the odd cup win here or there.

This summer will tell us a lot. I think City and Liverpool will run away with the title for the next few seasons.
looper007
Michael Thomas

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Mon May 13, 2019 6:33 am

Another point: We should plan to go undefeated. Take every game one at a time and don’t take any one for granted. Leicester had 3 losses in their title winning season and over 10 draws. City had 4 losses this season. In comparison we had 17 games which we didn’t win this season, 10 of which were losses. This is unacceptable and can easily be improved.

*Anything other than a win against mid and lower table teams should be considered as failure
*Chelsea are banned from transfers so we should aim to win both fixtures
*Sp*rs, we should not be losing to regardless. Also if they’re self funding their new stadium then they’ll probably be limited to how much they can improve their team
*United will either not change much or probably undergo massive changes so we should take advantage that they might be unsettled in case of the latter or take advantage that their manager and squad will be nothing special in case of the former.
*Liverpool and City should be the only concerns. These four games need to be circled and considered as finals. Regardless of the results of these four games though, city and Liverpool will slip up over the season so if we can stick to the plan with the other fixtures, then these games really should prove to be insignificant in the end
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11

Postby PairyGrows » Mon May 13, 2019 5:37 pm

We need to hope there's a god and pray he/she/it is an Arsenal fan.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby thebigbangtheo » Thu May 16, 2019 2:12 pm

PairyGrows wrote:We need to hope there's a god and pray he/she/it is an Arsenal fan.

If god were an Arsenal fan with the power to answer prayer, then he/she/it must be rather masochistic with a twisted sense of humour.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby thebigbangtheo » Fri May 17, 2019 12:09 pm

I'm of the opinion that the question being asked has simply been lost amongst all the rehashing of poster's sound bites and dissertations that have been churned out over the last two seasons.

The exercise of staying on topic as opposed to meandering over every issue known to Arsenal appears to have been too difficult to achieve.

A hell of a banal and tedious way to finally arrive at the conclusion that you don't really know the answer to the question being asked. Either that or this site is full of politicians.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby knowledge93 » Fri May 17, 2019 7:04 pm

thebigbangtheo wrote:I'm of the opinion that the question being asked has simply been lost amongst all the rehashing of poster's sound bites and dissertations that have been churned out over the last two seasons.

The exercise of staying on topic as opposed to meandering over every issue known to Arsenal appears to have been too difficult to achieve.

A hell of a banal and tedious way to finally arrive at the conclusion that you don't really know the answer to the question being asked. Either that or this site is full of politicians.

What are you on about? People are being realistic. We don't win the premier league next season unless we randomly get a sugar daddy and some of our players all of a sudden become world class.
knowledge93
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri May 17, 2019 8:50 pm

thebigbangtheo wrote:I'm of the opinion that the question being asked has simply been lost amongst all the rehashing of poster's sound bites and dissertations that have been churned out over the last two seasons.

Two seasons?! I've been rehashing my soundbites and dissertations for over ten years (before I even signed up to GW)!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sat May 18, 2019 1:51 am

starmandb wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:We don't.

City and Liverpool are nearly 40 points ahead, we're not overturning that deficit in one season.

But to make a start it's imperative we win the EL, if we don't get that CL money we're done for.

Man city finished 28 pts in front of us
We finished 24 pts behind Liverpool in 87/88
We finished behind qpr and Nottingham forest
We were 6th
We had lost a league cup final to Luton with Nigel winterburn missing a penalty that would have put us 3-1 up with 10 mins to go
2 mins later they were level
Beating us in the last minute
Anfield 89 looked unlikely

Exactly, we have some lily livered supporters, f**k me!! Arsenal have always won improbable league titles since I have supported them from the 70s. Difficult, yes, impossible, shut up!!
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby thebigbangtheo » Sat May 18, 2019 10:11 am

Tony_Adams wrote:

Two seasons?! I've been rehashing my soundbites and dissertations for over ten years (before I even signed up to GW)!

No disservice intended Big Tone, more to do with myself only having been on GW 2 years or so.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk