The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby Sims » Mon May 13, 2019 10:50 pm

Yeah and as soon as that season ended he turned into one of the most cancerous influences the club has ever seen

Chile not qualifying for the World Cup
Playing football with no breaks for 8 years straight

Sharp decline into a player that would struggle to get into West Ham’s side

I loved every minute of it
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon May 13, 2019 10:52 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Said from day dot giving Ozil 350k was ludicrous.

Wenger backed himself into a corner by not closing the £60m deal w/ City in the summer. Found himself facing losing his two most recognizable players to Mourinho, for free. Latter-day Wenger wasn't about to stand for that kind of hit to his ego, even though the situation was entirely of his own making.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon May 13, 2019 10:55 pm

Sanchez would never have been as shit as he is now had he stayed with us.

You're acting like the joke of a manager Mourinho became didn't contribute greatly to Sanchez's decline.

He started playing for a manager who became a parody of his former self in the worst ever system.

Now he clearly doesn't give a f**k and will mail it in for the rest of his career collecting a pay check, but had he stayed with us he still would've maintained a baseline level and probably always scores at least 15 league goals a season.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Sims » Mon May 13, 2019 11:00 pm

He 100% would’ve been as shit

He’s physically shot to pieces. He was mentally shot to pieces as soon as Chile didn’t qualify for the World Cup.

You could see in his last 6 months how demotivated he was and how the burst in his game was gone. The previous 12 he was acting like an arsehole and was awful to have around the dressing room

If he went to City for £60m he would’ve been as bad too, his status as an elite footballer finished as soon as that world class season ended

It happens to footballers all the time, within 2 months they lose everything that made them great; it’s not hard to see that’s what happened to Alexis

I cba talking about him anymore cos by the end of his time here I hated seeing him in our kit and I genuinely couldn’t give a toss if he died tomorrow
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby CynicalGooner » Mon May 13, 2019 11:44 pm

Sims wrote:his status as an elite footballer finished as soon as that world class season ended

It happens to footballers all the time, within 2 months they lose everything that made them great; it’s not hard to see that’s what happened to Alexis

You could literally apply this to Ozil as well. He is finished as an Elite player and has been for well over a year, and in fact in all his years here was only really good for 18 months.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby swipe right » Tue May 14, 2019 12:07 am

Sims wrote:He 100% would’ve been as shit

He’s physically shot to pieces. He was mentally shot to pieces as soon as Chile didn’t qualify for the World Cup.

You could see in his last 6 months how demotivated he was and how the burst in his game was gone. The previous 12 he was acting like an arsehole and was awful to have around the dressing room

If he went to City for £60m he would’ve been as bad too, his status as an elite footballer finished as soon as that world class season ended

I cba talking about him anymore cos by the end of his time here I hated seeing him in our kit and I genuinely couldn’t give a toss if he died tomorrow

Sims I think his problem at United is one of not fitting into their attaching formation. He’s always played off the number 9. At Udinese he played off de Natale, at Arsenal off Giroud. Even at Barcelona while he was on the right, he played quite centrally off Messi at the time. At United he’s been used more as a traditional wide man which is not his strength. Lukaku does not have the quality to lay the ball off for him and he tends to play deeper. He’s just not able to get into the game. His career could have been revived were he to move to a club where he could play a little more centrally and not have to drop deep to get on the ball.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue May 14, 2019 12:07 am

People can debate how good he is or not.

Fact is the truth usually lies somewhere in the middle of emotional statements or opinion.

It seems like he's here to stay, he ain't walking away from this contract and I don't think AFC want to push to off load him, they can't then they're left with a sulking player who they can't get rid of.

So I support him and hope he does well pushing forward, I'll only get on his back if I think he's not trying to help the team, right now he looks like he wants to play and get stuck in.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Tue May 14, 2019 12:28 am

Sims wrote:Yeah and as soon as that season ended he turned into one of the most cancerous influences the club has ever seen

Chile not qualifying for the World Cup
Playing football with no breaks for 8 years straight

Sharp decline into a player that would struggle to get into West Ham’s side

I loved every minute of it

Ozil or Sanchez? ... whilst Ozil's collapse is less dramatic it's still massive .... from 15/16 everything has gone rapidly backwards

13/14 - 2150 minutes - 5 goals 5 assists
14/15 - 1860 minutes - 4 goals 5 assists
15/16 - 3049 minutes - 6 goals 19 assists
16/17 - 2848 minutes - 8 goals 9 assists
17/18 - 2164 minutes - 4 goals 8 assists
18/19 - 1742 minutes - 5 goals 2 assists

What's driving fans crazy is that there are still two years to go on his 18m a year salary which he very obviously is no longer worth ...
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Dejan » Tue May 14, 2019 5:41 am

CynicalGooner wrote:
Sims wrote:his status as an elite footballer finished as soon as that world class season ended

You could literally apply this to Ozil as well. He is finished as an Elite player and has been for well over a year, and in fact in all his years here was only really good for 18 months.
Yep.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Tue May 14, 2019 8:02 am

I think he’s finished as an elite player too

However I’d back Mesut to continue being good to very good even as he ages due to his play style

For the other prick it’s not surprising that he dropped off in quality as soon as he lost his burst
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Dejan » Tue May 14, 2019 8:18 am

I doubt that.

He wasnt even anywhere near the 'good' category this season.

Tbh it wouldnt surprise me if next season sanchez is better than ozil
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Tue May 14, 2019 9:16 am

Idk why people keep pretending Alexis is still a good footballer

People still so fond of an autistic dog nonce that it’s clouding their vision

Ask any United fan, he is 100% finished at the top level. There is literally nothing in his game that’s good anymore

Eddie has the same amount of Prem goals as him this season
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby gooney » Tue May 14, 2019 11:04 am

He was finishef his last 6 months here
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby StLGooner » Tue May 14, 2019 11:32 am

Yes had a bad season, so did many players on this team. Doesn't mean he can't have a good one next season. We're pretty much stuck with him, so might as well back the guy and get behind him.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby theHotHead » Tue May 14, 2019 12:16 pm

Ozil still has it, we just need to see it more often. Its why I personally support him. When I see that he has lost it I will be the first to want him to be sold. Arsenal comes first.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club