The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby EliteKiller » Sat May 11, 2019 12:39 pm

theHotHead wrote:What a ting!! Its like you don't understand how a CAM plays, Ozil specifically. He doesn't tackle, tackling stats are pointless. Where does he play? Usually ahead of the midfield but behind the forwards. So I expect the bulk of his passing to be from the halfway line to the edge of the offensive box. The stat shows 66% of his passes were in the opposition half, thats fair enough.

So 14 passes in 62 minutes in the opponents half, not one of which was into the penalty area - that's your idea of 'fair enough' ... FFS

As a CAM he should be creating chances, he created 2. Headers? Ozil doesn't header, so I don't care he didn't win any headers. Zero shots, that can improve, zero dribbles, who cares as long as he is doing his job.

Go look up any footballing description for a CAM ... here let me give you the standard description -

CAMs are the central attacking midfielders. This is the position where most of the world's greatest players have played. It's the one position where technique always triumphs over strength. Maybe this could well be the most difficult role on the pitch these players can evade tight markers with great deft touches, finding space to either play a ball into dangerous areas for a forward to score, to shoot from the edge of the box themselves or dribble past opponents in congested areas & beat the keeper or make an assist. In short these players can create goals and score goals.

These players can absolutely dominate a game single handedly.

The description for a CAM details five key skill areas ... I highlighted the three that Ozil didn't achieve in the Mestalla ... that last line leaves me asking just when did Ozil last dominate a game single handedly ... perhaps once? twice? in the last two seasons ...

Nobody is denying that Ozil was a fantastic player, the problem you seem to be in total denial over is that he's just not doing in now ...

I'm not hiding my view, to me Ozil is synonymous with everything that went wrong over the last five years, a once great talent given a ridiculously easy ride by a failing manager, who turned into an overpaid liability who only puts in the effort only when he wants to ...
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby CaptGooner » Sat May 11, 2019 1:38 pm

Always been a big Ozil fan but no way you can spin he had an impact on the game.
CaptGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Dejan » Sat May 11, 2019 1:42 pm

CaptGooner wrote:Always been a big Ozil fan but no way you can spin he had an impact on the game.
They will try anyway

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Sat May 11, 2019 1:55 pm

CaptGooner wrote:Always been a big Ozil fan but no way you can spin he had an impact on the game.

A few on this forum will try their best :rofll:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Angelito » Sat May 11, 2019 3:20 pm

I see you haven't gotten the #RealGooner memo.

I solemnly and irrevocably swear to put all failings of Arsenal F.C. on Mesut Özil's shoulders irregardless of whether he has participated in the the said game or in any game from any era pertaining to Dial Square.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sat May 11, 2019 4:10 pm

For the sake of team and fan unity ahead of our biggest cup tie in 13 years, I wish Ozil the very best and hope he can put in a big shift in Baku. We may be missing Mhikytaryan so we'll need our players to max out every ounce of talent they have for this.

COYG.

Show the spoiler
regular service will resume once the transfer window opens
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Nuggets » Sat May 11, 2019 7:16 pm

If ever there was a game we needed him to turn up it will be this one....I am not holding my breath, I hope he proves me wrong.
Nuggets

Postby Losmeister » Sat May 11, 2019 7:22 pm

ozil hater...

see.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnd5Vr17Pw0

this is what i keep on expecting/hoping for....

it's his own standard i hold him to ie- whats hate got to do w/ it?
i want thim to do well, to do what he is capable of.
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby PairyGrows » Mon May 13, 2019 9:13 pm

Here's how I see the Ozil situation.

Right now, Ozil is by far our highest-paid player. His contract takes a huge chunk off our wage bill. That's only a problem if Ozil doesn't earn his wages on the pitch. Alas, he hasn't earned it this season, and it looks unlikely he will in the remaining two seasons of his contract either.

Ozil's high wages drive up the wage demands of other players in the squad as well as those of potential signings. Unfortunately, we can't meet their demands because we simply can't afford it. We can't get of Ozil either because he's more than happy to sit his contract out if need be.

All in all, giving Ozil the deal is starting to look like a huge mistake which may have far-reaching consequences.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Sims » Mon May 13, 2019 9:16 pm

It was still better to prioritise renewing him than the Chilean dog nonce

But at the end of the day we probably would’ve been better off not renewing either of their deals

Had we done that though we would’ve been a laughing stock of the footballing world
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon May 13, 2019 9:30 pm

Said from day dot giving Ozil 350k was ludicrous.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Angelito » Mon May 13, 2019 10:03 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Said from day dot giving Ozil 350k was ludicrous.

Imagine your two best players walking away for free. Yeah.

What Sims said basically. We'd have been a laughing stock if both Alexis and Ozil left for free. We had to give him that much money.

And, contrary to the popular myth, Brighton's vault of treasure isn't sinking because Ozil gets paid £350k a week. In fact, Brighton.. Oh wait. Pardon me for I thought we were Brighton for a moment.

Hard to distinguish the way we act these days. It's as if Ozil's salary is the line between promise land and underperformance.

We've truly become small-time. Our thought as well as our minds.

If you ask me, I'm in favor of selling Ozil in the summer for the simple reason that I'm tired of people scapegoating him, or some acting like he's why we're not winning the World Cup.

Plus, we could finally invest that £350k a week in getting worthier, world class players like... Samuel Umtiti and Wilfried Zaha?
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon May 13, 2019 10:40 pm

Angelito wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:Said from day dot giving Ozil 350k was ludicrous.

Imagine your two best players walking away for free. Yeah.

What Sims said basically. We'd have been a laughing stock if both Alexis and Ozil left for free. We had to give him that much money.

And, contrary to the popular myth, Brighton's vault of treasure isn't sinking because Ozil gets paid £350k a week. In fact, Brighton.. Oh wait. Pardon me for I thought we were Brighton for a moment.

Hard to distinguish the way we act these days. It's as if Ozil's salary is the line between promise land and underperformance.

We've truly become small-time. Our thought as well as our minds.

If you ask me, I'm in favor of selling Ozil in the summer for the simple reason that I'm tired of people scapegoating him, or some acting like he's why we're not winning the World Cup.

Plus, we could finally invest that £350k a week in getting worthier, world class players like... Samuel Umtiti and Wilfried Zaha?

Well by that logic if individual salaries aren't the difference between the promised land and failure why didn't we just up Sanchez's wages and keep both?

Why didn't we offer Ramsey more money and keep hold of him instead of losing him to Juventus seeing as wages aren't an issue?
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Sims » Mon May 13, 2019 10:44 pm

Because Sanchez isn’t even good enough for a Championship side, really didn’t take a genius to see he was on a sharp decline

Ozil hasn’t been great but he’ll always retain his level of spark and his play style wouldn’t massively detoriate with age

Alexis on the other hand lmao, I’m so glad it happened to him. Don’t think I’ve ever hated a player as much as him in his last 18 months ever

Well you got Mustafi as well but he has a genuine retardation
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon May 13, 2019 10:47 pm

Sims wrote:Because Sanchez isn’t even good enough for a Championship side, really didn’t take a genius to see he was on a sharp decline

Must be why one of the biggest clubs in the world gave him 500k a week.

The season before we sold Sanchez he scored 30 goals in 50 apps all comps.

Also registered more assists than Ozil.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club