Thank you, Laca: Lacazette set to leave Arsenal

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Alexandre Lacazette (9)

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri May 10, 2019 5:54 pm

Barca is in decline because Messi is the only one of the Guardiola core putting in work these days. The rest, Busquets and Pique especially are finished physically or don't care anymore. 7 starting players in the 4-0 loss to Pool were over 30.

Coutinho's treatment especially has been disgraceful, he's booed by Barca fans each game. He's the record signing and being openly pushed out after 1.5 seasons.

Laca could do much better than Barca in terms of getting playing time. He won't be loved the way he is at AFC. There, he'll be a body in a squad like Vermaelen, Song, even Fabregas.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby goonerj08 » Sun May 12, 2019 4:49 am

I would sell him and use the funds to invest in the squad. We should get 80 million for him easily. Or 40 million plus Umtiti.

He will never be an elite goal scorer like Auba.
goonerj08
Patrick Vieira

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon May 13, 2019 12:10 am

Sell our best player?

Makes sense.

A Spurs fan couldn't have said it any better.

PS - That would also just leave us with one striker for the season now that Welbeck has gone.

Class post.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Zenith » Mon May 13, 2019 12:21 am

↑ In theory selling your best player can be beneficial, but only for an exorbitant figure and only if the money raised is reinvested wisely.

The best example is probably Liverpool 's sale of Coutinho for £145m, allowing them to buy Salah, Ox, Robertson and VVD, while still turning profit.

Having said that, in the current market, £80m for Lacazette isn't exorbitant enough to be worth considering.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Zedie » Mon May 13, 2019 12:32 am

Zenith wrote:↑ In theory selling your best player can be beneficial, but only for an exorbitant figure and only if the money raised is reinvested wisely.

The best example is probably Liverpool 's sale of Coutinho for £145m, allowing them to buy Salah, Ox, Robertson and VVD, while still turning profit.

Having said that, in the current market, £80m for Lacazette isn't exorbitant enough to be worth considering.

Not when you consider what that gets you now. Theyd have to have an actual plan on how to spend it and not on pubbers.

You can have the liverpool Suarez and coutinho result or the spurs bale result.

I'd be hella nervous about doing that imo. Id much rather we spend our accumulated winnings, TV money, sponsorships + loss of wages and transfer income of:

Cech
Welbeck
Monreal
Mustafi
Ramsey
Lichtensteiner
Elneny

To replace that list with a mix of quality and some younger gambles on proper talent ie guendouzi / Robertson type signings that can grow with the team.

We have to get the basics right across the park this summer, then next summer go all out on 2 or 3 massive signings ie another auba or van dijk level signings but for where we need it the most at that time.

This overhaul will take longer than most people's patience will grant them but that's probably how it's going to work imo.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Zenith » Mon May 13, 2019 12:42 am

↑ Absolutely, it takes some incredibly flawless scouting to pull off and, given the current state of our squad, or what's left of it come July, it'd be unrealistic to try and turn the sale of one player into something beneficial.

I didn't mean to suggest this is what we should do now, should the opportunity present itself. I was just trying to point out that, under feasible circumstances, in theory, it's something you can benefit from as a football club.

Feasible as in, 2-3 players away from potentially competing for CL/EPL-level silverware.

I think most of us would agree is that, under the status quo, we're 4-5, if not 6 players away from even being able to dream of that scenario.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Zedie » Mon May 13, 2019 1:06 am

Zenith wrote:↑ Absolutely, it takes some incredibly flawless scouting to pull off and, given the current state of our squad, or what's left of it come July, it'd be unrealistic to try and turn the sale of one player into something beneficial.

I didn't mean to suggest this is what we should do now, should the opportunity present itself. I was just trying to point out that, under feasible circumstances, in theory, it's something you can benefit from as a football club.

100% and I know exactly what you were getting at.

Tbh, for us I dont think it's the right time to make a move like that, simply because we have to replace to many core players and understudies first.

Looking at liverpool and spurs:

Lpool - sold coutinho, got van dijk, Salah ox, Robertson with the money

3 of those 4 have been a revelation and did more for the club than coutinho ever could alone.

Spurs - they needed to beef the squad up so bought in a shit ton. Only players still there that figure are lamela (sparingly) and eriksen.

The rest of the signings that have got them to where they are were subsequent low risk gambles they made after wasting the money like alli, trippier, son or straight from academy kane, dier etc.

Like that man u golden generation, they've been fortunate their youth academy/prospect signings have struck gold on a few of their players.

We've got the money to do a bit of both but it's going to have to be from our own pockets.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby goonerj08 » Mon May 13, 2019 1:55 am

DiamondGooner wrote:Sell our best player?

Makes sense.

PS - That would also just leave us with one striker for the season now that Welbeck has gone.

Class post.

He is not our best player, Auba is.

Also, I said sell him and invest the funds. Liverpool dod the same thing with Suarez and Coutinho. How did that panned out? Do you really think the board will give 80m to spend without selling some of the assets?

You are calling me a Sp*rs fan for voicing a contrarian opinion? Give me a f***ing break. :rolleyes:
goonerj08
Patrick Vieira

Postby EliteKiller » Mon May 13, 2019 2:48 am

goonerj08 wrote:I would sell him and use the funds to invest in the squad. We should get 80 million for him easily. Or 40 million plus Umtiti.

He will never be an elite goal scorer like Auba.

What? we've just established our best striking duo since Henry and Bergkamp and you want to break it up? Why?
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby EliteKiller » Mon May 13, 2019 3:08 am

Zenith wrote:↑ Absolutely, it takes some incredibly flawless scouting to pull off and, given the current state of our squad, or what's left of it come July, it'd be unrealistic to try and turn the sale of one player into something beneficial.

Feasible as in, 2-3 players away from potentially competing for CL/EPL-level silverware.

I think most of us would agree is that, under the status quo, we're 4-5, if not 6 players away from even being able to dream of that scenario.

Get what you're saying but that ship has sailed if it ever existed at all - if you assume Liverpool brought in VvD 84m, Salah 42m, Ox 38m with the 145m from Coutinho then that's hardly taking a risk on young players. If you then consider Klopp added Alisson 62m, Keita 60m, Fabinho 45m then to say the Coutinho sale was the key factor seems a bit overstated ... a factor sure but spending 560m across four summer windows was the real factor ....

As for Lacazette - we might get 80m maybe 100m these are crazy days, but if we wanted to replace him it would cost us that and more ... and then we'd have a new player to bed in alongside Auba who will be 30 next season himself ... utter madness and no benefit whatsoever ... the days of selling a player for 150m and buying 5 players at 30m are still with us, but with every club in the EPL able to buy 30m players the chances of getting even one who jumps up to world class let alone five are almost zero ...

Look at previous seasons 20-30m gambles ... not that many come good.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby gooney » Mon May 13, 2019 8:35 am

When have we sold a player and used that money to get better player? For the first time in years we have 2 strong attackers. Thats the only area we are strong and people wanna make that area weak like rest of the team? Who the hell can arsenal buy that is so good but none if the bigger clubs want?
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon May 13, 2019 10:25 am

goonerj08 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:Sell our best player?

Makes sense.

Class post.

He is not our best player, Auba is.

Also, I said sell him and invest the funds. Liverpool dod the same thing with Suarez and Coutinho. How did that panned out? Do you really think the board will give 80m to spend without selling some of the assets?

You are calling me a Sp*rs fan for voicing a contrarian opinion? Give me a f***ing break. :rolleyes:

I didn't call you a Spurs fan at all, read the post right at least.

What I said was a Spurs fan would love us to sell Laca which is my point, it hurts us not helps us.

Auba is not our best player, he's joint with Laca, Laca does more beneficial team work than Auba who is just a goal scorer (nothing wrong with that by the way) but Laca contributes hold up play, defense, pressing and is the only striker who plays well enough in the box, Auba tends to swoop into the box, Laca can hang in there as the central man.

Either way we need them both, we have no 3rd striker and please don't give me the "reinvest talk" as I was going to say to Zenith, Liverpool could do it but as far as AFC goes they'd withhold funds and buy shank players.

No way they make up for losing Laca, we bought him for £55m, it'd cost £80m to actually buy a true performing replacement from another team.

No, sign him to a long term contract and build around Laca & Auba, its our best strikers since RVP, we've had to wait 5 years for this, we're lucky we landed them.

Mislinslat's last major gift to us was getting us Auba (....and Leno and Sokratis, poss Torreia as well), trust me, we won't get another with the sh*t scouts we're looking to hire.

Man I miss Mislinslat, every player he got us is a major part of the spine of the team, I'm dreading the new scout system, even Emery isn't going to be able to do better than Sven and neither is Edu.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby gooney » Mon May 13, 2019 8:24 pm

EliteKiller wrote:

Get what you're saying but that ship has sailed if it ever existed at all - if you assume Liverpool brought in VvD 84m, Salah 42m, Ox 38m with the 145m from Coutinho then that's hardly taking a risk on young players. If you then consider Klopp added Alisson 62m, Keita 60m, Fabinho 45m then to say the Coutinho sale was the key factor seems a bit overstated ... a factor sure but spending 560m across four summer windows was the real factor ....

As for Lacazette - we might get 80m maybe 100m these are crazy days, but if we wanted to replace him it would cost us that and more ... and then we'd have a new player to bed in alongside Auba who will be 30 next season himself ... utter madness and no benefit whatsoever ... the days of selling a player for 150m and buying 5 players at 30m are still with us, but with every club in the EPL able to buy 30m players the chances of getting even one who jumps up to world class let alone five are almost zero ...

Look at previous seasons 20-30m gambles ... not that many come good.

Its not just replacing him. Its replacing him with better player that for some reason no top club is in for. What are the chances of that happening? If you look at midtable team and why they are so reluctant to sell their best players. Its because money means little when you cant attract the best players. Arsenal cant buy better striker than him and arsenal cant use that money and buy better midfielder than ramsey
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Hybrid47 » Tue May 14, 2019 2:25 pm

No way should we even contemplate selling Laca, he's been tremendous all season and our best player this year.

Auba yes may bag the goals but Laca actually does more for the team.
Hybrid47
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Dejan » Tue May 14, 2019 8:48 pm

Swap for griezman

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext