The definitive deadwood thread

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: The definitive deadwood thread

Postby Power n Glory » Mon May 06, 2019 7:58 pm

Xhaka and Mustafi have to go. Xhaka being the priority.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon May 06, 2019 8:00 pm

Of all those listed, xhaka is one i'd be willing to give more of a chance to. At least he is aggressive. His free kicks and corners are useful too.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby looper007 » Tue May 07, 2019 4:19 am

Tony_Adams wrote:Of all those listed, xhaka is one i'd be willing to give more of a chance to. At least he is aggressive. His free kicks and corners are useful too.

If the right offer came in, we should cash in on him. Just don't think he has the heart for it in the PL. He looks to me like a player on the way out.

I'd say we get good money for Chambers, he's coming off a decent season for Fulham. Elneny if can get 15 million, we be doing good. Mustafi, it be a great deal if we get 20 million for him. Miki if we can get 15 to 20 million then we be doing well. Ospina and Jenko we'll get as little as possible for either.

I'd keep Iwobi, Kos and Monreal as squad players. We just won't get rid of Ozil, I be surprised if he is anymore then a squad player next season. I wouldn't be surprised if Laca asks for a move this summer if we don't win the EL.

Emery has some job this summer, trying to get rid of the deadwood and keeping fan's happy with signings that won't be star names.
looper007
Michael Thomas

Postby PairyGrows » Tue May 07, 2019 5:24 am

All right, let's go back to reality. If we don't make it to the Champions League next season (which is a very realistic possibility), we will have £45 million to spend in the summer. In today's market, that gets you one or two players. Quite frankly, that won't be enough.

But we can sell some of our players to raise funds, you may object. If we're going to offload a lot of the players mentioned on this thread, we're looking for cheap replacements. Is that what we want; cheap replacements for Mustafi and Xhaka? Absolutely not.

That being said, the most realistic option seems to be that a lot of the deadwood in our squad will not only stay but will also have more prominent roles next season. We have to hope they can deliver, but I'm not holding my breath.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Zenith » Wed May 29, 2019 9:37 pm

So. much. mediocrity.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby jsmirman » Wed May 29, 2019 9:42 pm

Losmeister wrote:"We're reaching delusional levels right now. What is wrong with Arsenal fans ffs.

I feel our collective IQ has dropped significantly since Unai's appointment."

people thought it was all wenger ... once gone all would right itself.... our players arent that good. not good enough to counted in the best teams in europe.

coming to terms with what the club really is right now is mental anguish. rationality goes adrift.

Who in hell thought that?

Of course the damage that low ambition Wenger did to the club would be lasting.

I swear, nonsense like this makes me see red.

It's like blaming a party that takes power for a recession after those previously in charge tanked the whole economy. The damage to this club was done year after year after year. Of course it's going to take time, good decisions, and a lot of determination to turn that around. My fear is that the Kroenkes are very much not up to that task.
jsmirman
Michael Thomas

Postby Power n Glory » Wed May 29, 2019 9:49 pm

We signed Sokratis, Lichtsteiner, Leno, Guendouzi and Torreira this season. Most are defensive players and haven't made a bit of difference to our defending this season. We need to nail down a system and get to work this summer because we don't have the money to spend huge in bulk. Cesc is making a great point about Sarri on BT Sports on how he was able to change the system and philosophy in a short period without being able to replace every Chelsea player.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed May 29, 2019 9:51 pm

Deadwood:
Lichtsteiner
Jenkinson
Koscielny
Mustafi
Monreal
Elneny
Welbeck
Mkhitaryan
Ozil

Need a loan:
Mavropanos
Iwobi
Any youngster not listed

Fine as starters:
Leno
Sokratis
Torreira
Aubameyang
Lacazette

Fine as back up/squad players:
Holding
Maitland-Niles
Kolasinac
Guendouzi
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed May 29, 2019 9:52 pm

Power n Glory wrote:We signed Sokratis, Lichtsteiner, Leno, Guendouzi and Torreira this season. Most are defensive players and haven't made a bit of difference to our defending this season. We need to nail down a system and get to work this summer because we don't have the money to spend huge in bulk. Cesc is making a great point about Sarri on BT Sports on how he was able to change the system and philosophy in a short period without being able to replace every Chelsea player.
We still had kos and mustafi though. Holding and Bellerin had long term injuries.
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Wed May 29, 2019 10:16 pm

Tony_Adams wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:We signed Sokratis, Lichtsteiner, Leno, Guendouzi and Torreira this season. Most are defensive players and haven't made a bit of difference to our defending this season. We need to nail down a system and get to work this summer because we don't have the money to spend huge in bulk. Cesc is making a great point about Sarri on BT Sports on how he was able to change the system and philosophy in a short period without being able to replace every Chelsea player.
We still had kos and mustafi though. Holding and Bellerin had long term injuries.

There have been some poor collective performances, but looking at their individual performances this season, I think they have all had some really poor performances with errors that have costs us which can't really be pinned on having weaker players in the team.

If they were all solid and consistent performers each week, I'd agree but they haven't really. Are we now banking on hoping to see a more solid and consistent performance from them once we've shifted out the rest of the dead wood? I don't really think that's fair and it sort of papers over the cracks. Not saying we need to move them on but they all need to up their game regardless of who they're standing next to.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby LMAO » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:53 pm

Emery
Luiz
Mustafi
Xhaka

Would include AMN, but I'd push him upfield as a winger first and give him half a season there before making a judgment.

And Sokratis if we keep this mandatory playing from the back policy.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:00 am

AMN as a winger??

What are we a pub team?

In what universe does a top 8 team let alone top 4 have AMN as a winger?

Luiz also isn't dead wood, he's here on a 1 year contract to help fill in at CB which we needed and failing that he'd make a good CDM.

Other than that I agree with the list.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:04 am

Losmeister wrote:"We're reaching delusional levels right now. What is wrong with Arsenal fans ffs.

I feel our collective IQ has dropped significantly since Unai's appointment."

people thought it was all wenger ... once gone all would right itself.... our players arent that good. not good enough to counted in the best teams in europe.

coming to terms with what the club really is right now is mental anguish. rationality goes adrift.

Nobody thought that there was a quick fix ... well a few idiots ... there are post after post explaining how Wenger set us up for an epic fail ... a squad of overpaid, ageing, out of contract mediocre players was a five year problem not a two year one

Add to that the huge cash influx at our rivals whilst our income fell away and no manger had a prayer of getting us back to the top ... we were simply to far gone and to full of deadwood

It took Liverpool twenty years to recover and they didn't have a top six just a top four ... don't be fooled this squad is nowhere near City, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea or even Utd ...

and remember Ceballos is just a loan, Auba, Ozil, Luiz, Sokratis are all well over 30 and will only have 12 months on their contracts come the summer ... there is more pain before this gets any better
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby LMAO » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:15 am

DiamondGooner wrote:AMN as a winger??

What are we a pub team?

In what universe does a top 8 team let alone top 4 have AMN as a winger?

Luiz also isn't dead wood, he's here on a 1 year contract to help fill in at CB which we needed and failing that he'd make a good CDM.

Other than that I agree with the list.

AMN clearly isn't a RB, and he's been surpassed in midfield so he's got no future there with us. We're light at winger depth (Pepe, Auba is more of a striker, Nelson, Martinelli is still adjusting), so why not give him some cup games and see how he does? If he's decent but not spectacular, we can get more for him as a winger than we could as a RB. If he's the next Bale, then we've found a gem to keep for the next decade.

Luiz has a 2-year contract. I said before we signed him that I'd prefer playing Mustafi, and I stand by that. They're both clowns, but I'd rather just play the clown we had. Mourinho already tried him at DM in a much better defensive side, and it was a mixed bag. He'd be worse there for us since we have even worse cover at the moment. Maybe when Holding and our fullbacks return, but I doubt a 32-year-old is going to change.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby ag6789 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:48 am

The biggest idiot/deadwood in this club is called Unai. Whoever disagrees and tries to find other deadwoods as scapegoats or defends him, are either trolls or football-idiots or need their heads checked. We could actually purge this site of those trolls/idiots for our sanity.
After the continuous horror show this season, and 14 months of s___tball, it is clear no matter how many prospects we bring in , Unai is incapable of planning a decent campaign. Unai f___ off!!
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk