Shkodran Mustafi

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Shkodran Mustafi (20)

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:43 pm

thebigbangtheo wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:Credit where credits due, Mustafi was the best defender on the pitch against Fulham, and at one point I was only 6 inches away from the screen in scrutinising that it was actually him, and got told I sounded like Butch and Sundance after muttering 'who the hell is this guy' for the fifth time.

After a couple of duels with Mitrovich where he came away leaving the big Serbian like a little boy put on the naughty step, I will admit to doing a quick search around the house looking for giant green pods, and even stayed awake until the early hours of yesterday morning.

Maybe Emery has got him listening to Eminem's real slim shady, 'cos the real defender within Mustafi definitely did stand up.

I was at the point where only Papa, Kos, Holding and Mav made sense to invest any time and effort in molding effective central defensive partnerships with, but if Mussy is gonna bring that to the party week in week out, then I'll gladly take 2 dozen eggs right in the mush, no problem.

There’s a defender somewhere in him. He needs to be drilled more than anyone about basic defending and judging by our defensive performances over the last couple of years, I would say we don’t have the personnel to give him that education. Exhaustive lectures in positioning, self-discipline, and judgement (e.g. timing of tackles), for instance, would do wonders for Mustafi.
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby Nuggets » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:05 pm

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:Credit where credits due, Mustafi was the best defender on the pitch against Fulham, and at one point I was only 6 inches away from the screen in scrutinising that it was actually him, and got told I sounded like Butch and Sundance after muttering 'who the hell is this guy' for the fifth time.

After a couple of duels with Mitrovich where he came away leaving the big Serbian like a little boy put on the naughty step, I will admit to doing a quick search around the house looking for giant green pods, and even stayed awake until the early hours of yesterday morning.

Maybe Emery has got him listening to Eminem's real slim shady, 'cos the real defender within Mustafi definitely did stand up.

I was at the point where only Papa, Kos, Holding and Mav made sense to invest any time and effort in molding effective central defensive partnerships with, but if Mussy is gonna bring that to the party week in week out, then I'll gladly take 2 dozen eggs right in the mush, no problem.

There’s a defender somewhere in him. He needs to be drilled more than anyone about basic defending and judging by our defensive performances over the last couple of years, I would say we don’t have the personnel to give him that education. Exhaustive lectures in positioning, self-discipline, and judgement (e.g. timing of tackles), for instance, would do wonders for Mustafi.

Another club would do wonders for Mustafi period.!
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:33 pm

Nuggets wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:

Another club would do wonders for Mustafi period.!

Agreed. It’s clear the effort is not being made - by the club or the player - to improve him so there’s no point persisting with him. At the very least not as a first XI player
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11

Postby Santi » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:35 pm

Welcome back Sir Musti of Deutschland
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby King of Highbury XIV » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:27 pm

should be a bench player for us. has had too many chances to lock down the starting spot and yet, i'm still unconvinced by him.
all of my posts are my own opinion
King of Highbury XIV
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Power n Glory » Fri May 03, 2019 5:29 am

This bastard put in a decent performance for once. A couple of moments where we were vulnerable to a counter and snuffed at the attack with early tackles.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Phil71 » Fri May 03, 2019 8:17 am

Power n Glory wrote:This bastard put in a decent performance for once. A couple of moments where we were vulnerable to a counter and snuffed at the attack with early tackles.

Don't get too excited. He'll be rubbish again in the next game.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri May 03, 2019 9:50 am

Phil71 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:This bastard put in a decent performance for once. A couple of moments where we were vulnerable to a counter and snuffed at the attack with early tackles.

This.

We can't be getting excited from a performance, I mean ffs, at his senior level that's the minimum requirement.

He does seem to thrive more at RCB but all in all I'd replace him in a heart beat, there are CB's out there for a fraction of the cost, even league 1 CB's who are more reliable than him.

An unreliable CB is as useless as a hooker with morals.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Fri May 03, 2019 11:56 am

Phil71 wrote:

For sure, but i heard on BT Sports that Emery had a long conversation with the guy after coming to his defence with his recent poor performances.

It's a one off but interesting to see him actually have a decent game and stay switched on.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Phil71 » Fri May 03, 2019 1:04 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

For sure, but i heard on BT Sports that Emery had a long conversation with the guy after coming to his defence with his recent poor performances.

It's a one off but interesting to see him actually have a decent game and stay switched on.

But he's done the same thing many times before. He's had some outstanding games for us, and looked truly world class.

Then the following week it looks like he's sent out his weak, limp, stupid twin brother who can't play football.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Power n Glory » Fri May 03, 2019 1:12 pm

Phil71 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

But he's done the same thing many times before. He's had some outstanding games for us, and looked truly world class.

Then the following week it looks like he's sent out his weak, limp, stupid twin brother who can't play football.

Of course. I'm not saying we have a new and improved Mustafi on the horizon. Just noting the performance after being talked to. There isn't much else to read into it. I still think he should be sold but nothing wrong with saying he had a decent performance. I don't see how that's getting excited.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby thebigbangtheo » Fri May 03, 2019 2:26 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

I would love to see this guy finally turn that massive corner he's been navigating for the last couple of years, like a ship with James May and Uncle Albert at the helm.

Would stellar performances in all our remaining games be enough to save his Arsenal career? I don't know, that palace abhorration can still be smelt like someone having walked dog shit into the room, and as such the dye is already cast.

However, if he was to have finally found himself again and morphed back into the defender he was at Valencia, then our desperate urgency for a £70M plus finished article would be significantly lessened.

But knowing our luck, he'll produce his best form, we'll keep him, the team will start next season brilliantly and be right up there until mid November/December when he gets crocked with a season ending injury and we'll be back to square one.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Losmeister » Fri May 03, 2019 2:46 pm

Guardian article today... or was it yesterday?
https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... e-valencia
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Phil71 » Fri May 03, 2019 3:04 pm

thebigbangtheo wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

I would love to see this guy finally turn that massive corner he's been navigating for the last couple of years, like a ship with James May and Uncle Albert at the helm.

Would stellar performances in all our remaining games be enough to save his Arsenal career? I don't know, that palace abhorration can still be smelt like someone having walked dog shit into the room, and as such the dye is already cast.

However, if he was to have finally found himself again and morphed back into the defender he was at Valencia, then our desperate urgency for a £70M plus finished article would be significantly lessened.

But knowing our luck, he'll produce his best form, we'll keep him, the team will start next season brilliantly and be right up there until mid November/December when he gets crocked with a season ending injury and we'll be back to square one.

What is he? 29? 30?

The guy is past turning corners I think.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri May 03, 2019 3:32 pm

This is a classic case of us persisting with a player who's not good enough which only and ever means ........... we're keeping out another potential CB who would be decent for us.

That is squad wide, we've been doing this for years and its why we're no longer a top 3 club.

Wenger's belief in training up sh*t players mean't we ended up with half a squad of this trash, and we're paying for it now, with a better squad we'd be top 3/4 as we speak.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to World Football