Thierry Henry - Manager

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Thierry Henry - Manager

Postby Santi » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:50 am

Commercial power play written all over it.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:20 am

Some of you are way too quick to spread negative opinions on Henry his man management and influence without the proper research. Monaco was one side of the coin, what you saw of him as a player and captain is different. There is a lot more information out there and from players that have worked with him for a lot longer.

Hazard

https://metro.co.uk/2018/02/13/eden-haz ... e-7308225/

Eden Hazard praised the influence of Thierry Henry on his game after scoring twice in a resounding win over West Bromwich Albion on Monday night. The Chelsea forward claims that Henry’s advice on international duty played a key role in his second goal as he cut inside and fired past Ben Foster. Hazard revealed that Henry had advised him to shoot more often and that the renewed focus on producing more efforts on goal was having the desired effect.

And after his latest double, he pointed out how Henry’s pearls of wisdom had helped him to transform his game. ‘On the second goal when I go inside of the pitch Thierry told me in the national team maybe I do not shoot enough,’ he said. ‘We saw against Watford that I score when I shoot so it comes down to instinct. You don’t think about a lot you just think about scoring goals.

Lukaku

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... h-11051031

Lukaku told NBC Sport: "Henry is the best thing that has happened to me because since I came to England aged 18 I have had the best mentors.

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/how-fra ... 2x3fz6du16

"He helps me so much with everything in the game," Lukaku recently told the Players' Tribune in a glowing assessment of his mentor.

"My awareness, my skills, my shooting, my control in front of the goal, my actions, where I have to be on the field, scoring goals out of nowhere - that’s what big players do, don’t wait for the ball to come in front of you, you have to create the goal yourself.

"Since we’ve been working closely together I think I’ve raised my game twice as much than what I thought I could do, and I owe him a lot, a lot in the last two years. I owe him a lot."

Iwobi

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footba ... 58221.html

When asked who his ‘all time’ favourite Arsenal player was, there was no hesitation from the Nigerian international – who also revealed that he still receives advice from his icon.

“The goals he got, the player he was – and he is still advising me today.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... ies-jonker

“I can’t believe I did that,” he said, shaking his head in amazement. The second, ghosting in from the wing to finish precisely, he dedicated to one of his coaches, a certain Thierry Henry. “I owe that to him. He told me before the game that most wingers get their goals at the back post so I tried to take his advice on board,” Iwobi said. “Other coaches I have had have all played football but no disrespect to them, I have never had anyone like Thierry. I am basically learning from the best.” Happy days.

Henry’s status obviously attracts special attention. Even for the scholars – in a recent media training exercise nearly every player chose him as their all-time footballing idol. “We all want to listen and learn,” says Iwobi. “He’s like one of us. He just jokes around. But when we have to be serious he’s very serious. He is teaching us what to do. He may criticise us a few times but that’s just for us to get better.”

Jonker has been impressed with Henry’s attitude to a new side of the game. “Thierry’s own wish is to be at Arsenal five, six, seven days a week,” the Dutchman observes. “It’s his own ambition to invest in his own future as a coach. What I am recognising is a guy who had a brilliant career as a player that is able to transfer his knowledge and experience to the boys. And the most important thing is he is willing to do it. That’s why he is very welcome with us and that’s why I invited him to be with this staff, to get experience as a coach and to be on the other side.

“He is doing much more than he is supposed to do in order to get his coaching badge. It’s his wish, his desire. We didn’t have to ask anything. It was his request to Wenger: ‘I’d like to be in the academy, is there any possibility? I just want to help.’ I started to work with him and found out how committed he is. He is really, really motivated to developing himself as a coach. He is open, he is internationally orientated, and he is a really good guy. Thierry is young, Ryan Garry, Jason Brown – I have very young staff. I let them do many things and I try to give them feedback.”[/quote

Nelson

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footba ... 62756.html

Arsenal youngster Reiss Nelson has revealed that Arsenal legend Thierry Henry had a big impact on his game during his short spell as an academy coach at the club.

"Thierry [Henry] is an Arsenal legend and I had an opportunity to spend time with him when he was a coach at the academy," Nelson told Goal.

"I think he helped me a lot over his short time as Arsenal coach and he showed me little things that I took on board and have now started to show in my game.

"He was a great coach for me but he's also a great guy. He helped the younger players a lot and he said that the main things at Arsenal are respect and hard work. He always underlined these two things.

"He said if you could take that in at a young age, the talent will do its work; that if you work hard and respect everyone around you, you can push on to become a top player."

Nelson’s comments follow on from fellow teammate Alex Iwobi, who recently hailed Henry’s influence on his career to this point, while revealing he still offers him advice.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:55 pm

So iwobi's crap finishing is henry's fault? :hiding:
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:01 pm

Couple of players praises Henry coaching.

A whole club is decimated by his managing.

Yeah steer clear. Good luck to Chicago red bulls whatever
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:11 pm

These "testimonials" prove the point; Players like Hazard and Lukaku are already great (Lukaku has more PL goals than Ian Wright fwiw). If course they respond to the advice of an all time EPL great.

Teams are 25 players comprising attack and defense. If Henry can set up attacking tactics that only work with top-class players, he's doing less than half the job.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:06 am

aniym wrote:These "testimonials" prove the point; Players like Hazard and Lukaku are already great (Lukaku has more PL goals than Ian Wright fwiw). If course they respond to the advice of an all time EPL great.

Teams are 25 players comprising attack and defense. If Henry can set up attacking tactics that only work with top-class players, he's doing less than half the job.

When were you making that point? I've only seen people use examples to show he has poor man management skills. Too egotistical to work with stars and too demanding to get along with young players was the common claim.

Just using examples of what other players have said. Lord knows why his own are desperate for him to fail and so quick to point out 'character flaws' related to ego as if we haven't seen massive egotistical pricks like Mourinho succeed. In fact, most managers have some form of arrogance and a demanding attitude. I wouldn't hold those things up as reason why Henry will fail as a coach. Look at Cryuff, look at Zidane.

Things won't come easy for Henry and as a Black man trying to get into coaching it will be even harder. I hope to see him succeed to help break the glass ceiling but it will take a lot of determination from him. It's a damn shame he's not getting enough support on here of all places.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby LMAO » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:35 am

Power n Glory wrote:It's a damn shame he's not getting enough support on here of all places.

He makes it difficult to support him tbf
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:49 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
aniym wrote:These "testimonials" prove the point; Players like Hazard and Lukaku are already great (Lukaku has more PL goals than Ian Wright fwiw). If course they respond to the advice of an all time EPL great.

When were you making that point? I've only seen people use examples to show he has poor man management skills. Too egotistical to work with stars and too demanding to get along with young players was the common claim.

Just using examples of what other players have said. Lord knows why his own are desperate for him to fail and so quick to point out 'character flaws' related to ego as if we haven't seen massive egotistical pricks like Mourinho succeed. In fact, most managers have some form of arrogance and a demanding attitude. I wouldn't hold those things up as reason why Henry will fail as a coach. Look at Cryuff, look at Zidane.

Things won't come easy for Henry and as a Black man trying to get into coaching it will be even harder. I hope to see him succeed to help break the glass ceiling but it will take a lot of determination from him. It's a damn shame he's not getting enough support on here of all places.

I wasn't trying to single Henry out, but his journey so far does seem to indicate that "former player" managers need a LOT of work. Neville, Koeman, F de Boer, Solskjaer, Henry, it hasn't been easy for any of them.

I don't want Henry to fail, but seeing as how most managers fail early on, why not take those Ls at a lower-league team where there's less of a spotlight and you at least get some time to figure things out.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby StLGooner » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:50 pm

LMAO wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:It's a damn shame he's not getting enough support on here of all places.

How so? What has he done that's so wrong, that Arsenal fans of all people hate him so much now?
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby LMAO » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:51 am

StLGooner wrote:
LMAO wrote:

How so? What has he done that's so wrong, that Arsenal fans of all people hate him so much now?

I neither hate him nor like him.

He reminds me so much of MJ and Kobe. Unreal talents but nightmare teammates because of their inability to coexist with those less talented. And that doesn't translate well to being a coach.

He was a haughty t**t, thinking himself so important that he'd be doing Arsenal and Wenger a favor by half-assing being a youth coach here while prioritizing his role as a pundit.

Then his time at Monaco where he shat on the players for not being up to his standards, failing to realize the Monaco he inherited was not the same Monaco that won Ligue 1 and made it to the CL semis.

Basically, his pompous attitude without having earned the right to have one (as a coach) rubs me the wrong way.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby StLGooner » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:02 pm

LMAO wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
LMAO wrote:

I neither hate him nor like him.

He reminds me so much of MJ and Kobe. Unreal talents but nightmare teammates because of their inability to coexist with those less talented. And that doesn't translate well to being a coach.

He was a haughty t**t, thinking himself so important that he'd be doing Arsenal and Wenger a favor by half-assing being a youth coach here while prioritizing his role as a pundit.

Then his time at Monaco where he shat on the players for not being up to his standards, failing to realize the Monaco he inherited was not the same Monaco that won Ligue 1 and made it to the CL semis.

Basically, his pompous attitude without having earned the right to have one (as a coach) rubs me the wrong way.

I don't like shitty attitudes either so I get it, nor do I really like arrogance in a player, but he's arguably Arsenals greatest goal scorer, he earned the right to be a bit like MJ and Kobe. Not as a coach, but overall as a former player personality.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby LMAO » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:54 pm

Oh absolutely. He can be a arrogant in that sense.

But not as a coach since he hasn't earned those stripes yet. He needs to humble himself a bit there.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby StLGooner » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:23 pm

LMAO wrote:Oh absolutely. He can be a arrogant in that sense.

But not as a coach since he hasn't earned those stripes yet. He needs to humble himself a bit there.

Yea I agree with that.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Zenith » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:08 pm

Has just been announced as the new manager of Montréal Impact.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Santi » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:14 pm

Glad for him, hope it works out better and he can build his managerial career back up.
Santi
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to World Football