Konstantinos Mavropanos

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Konstantinos Mavropanos (27)

Postby ESR10 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:01 pm

No, he clearly has potential. We need him.
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby Zenith » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:46 pm

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Ach » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:19 pm

Seen him once. He got sent off in that. Might have seen him in highlights but can't judge on that

Hope he comes good. We will need the money his name will make when fans put it on their backs
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby thebigbangtheo » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:34 am

Ach wrote:
Sevilla are keen to sign Arsenal defender Konstantinos Mavropanos, according to Mundo Deportivo.

The Greece U21 international, who only moved to the Emirates Stadium from PAS Giannina in January, has yet to feature for the Gunners this season due to a groin injury.

As a result new Arsenal boss Unai Emery has yet to see the defender in action, meaning Sevilla may have until at least the end of the season for a decision on his availability.

Bye

Within some 5/10 minutes of his first game for us and definitely before he had completed his debut stint in an Arsenal shirt, some people could see that Cesc Fabregas was a baller of the highest order.

Similar could easily be said of Robin van Persie, Jack Wilshire and Ashley Cole. If in the eyes of some, the catastrophic injury records and consequential detriment of the formers are more relevant to that consideration than their talent and ability, then that's their prerogative.

Konstantinos Mavropanos, Matteo Guendouzi and Lucas Torreira are the only players who have similarly grabbed my attention within 5 minutes of watching them for the first time, probably since a 18/19 year old Arron Ramsey at Cardiff. And regardless of the esteem that the Welshman may or may not be held in amongst the masses now, he was definitely an even better player back then prior to that horrific leg break.

My point is that when I similarly made an effort to watch Celtic games after seeing that we had been interested in their new Dutch centre back, my conclusion was that we should pay the £10M or so it would have taken to nab him given it was less than half way through his first season and about treble what they paid if I remember correctly. We didn't and he was at Southampton some 18 months later for about £12M. Only fools couldn't see the massive potential that was clearly on display when Virgil van Djyk was playing in Scotland.

The same applies to Harry Maguire if not more so, given that my interest was piqued during his debut season for Sheffield United due to his size, speed and good level of technique. I could hardly believe it when he ended up at Hull City and I honestly remember thinking that I must be missing something, a prominent flaw that I was somehow oblivious to. That we never even had a sniff at him when they got relegated and he ended up at Leicester for less than £20M had me booking my appointment at Specsavers.

On another chat site I actually had the audacity to suggest that whilst recognising the assassin like defensive expertise of Diego Godin, his partner Almeryc Laporte was more suitable for our needs. Even though he was playing CB for Atletic Madrid, many still didn't think he was good enough for us and was being made to look good by Godin. Yes, the same Laporte who is now a defensive mainstay of Man City.

Potential is only that until it is fulfilled. All I'm saying is that you could see the potential within the aforementioned players who have all gone on to turn it into reality. Mavropanos has as much potential as van Djyk did.

Considering our track record, it could be on the cards that we let him leave for somewhere like Sevilla then watch as within 2 years they reap the rewards of a bidding war between Real, Utd, Chelsea and Barca.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Dejan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:03 am

Bye

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:09 am

There is huge hopes of him to succeed here

Earmarked to go into the first team straight away as soon as he regains fitness
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Zenith » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:17 am

thebigbangtheo wrote:On another chat site I actually had the audacity to suggest that whilst recognising the assassin like defensive expertise of Diego Godin, his partner Almeryc Laporte was more suitable for our needs. Even though he was playing CB for Atletic Madrid, many still didn't think he was good enough for us and was being made to look good by Godin. Yes, the same Laporte who is now a defensive mainstay of Man City.

Ahem.

- Laporte has never played for Atlético Madrid
- Godín has never played for Atletic Club de Bilbao
- 'Atletic Madrid' does not exist
- Atlético Madrid and Atletic Club de Bilbao are two very different teams from two very different cities

Laporte has never played for the same club as Godín, yet somehow, according to you, managed to be Godín's underrated CB partner?

How can you be so misinformed and yet claim to have made first hand observations of Aymeric Laporte's performances?

I call BS. :Peace:
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Santi » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:35 am

Oops :rofll:
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Luzh 22 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:38 am

I heard there was a murder here. Just coming in to be nosey...
"O Striker, Striker, why are you Striker?" - Arsene Nose 12/07/16
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby thebigbangtheo » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:00 pm

Ha ha ha admittedly I do just write from memory and have obviously got the clubs mixed up and whilst I haven't been on teamtalk since 2014 I do now recollect that the debate was that Godin was what we needed whilst I championed laporte instead. The other stuff thrown in is just mis-remembering some of the comments like laporte was only so good due to his partner. Like most I wouldn't claim to be a massive follower of la liga beyond el classico but you can still notice other teams and players.

Anyhow, I'm glad my cock-up provided some merriment and mirth, I have broad shoulders and the ability to laugh at myself too.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Zenith » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:17 pm

:Peace:

Fair play.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby thebigbangtheo » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:21 am

Funnily enough, one of the points I definitely do recollect from that debate is that I considered laporte to be like a bigger version of Laurent Koscielny but better aerially and physically, which were the only issues our Frenchman on occasion struggled with but not often a problem due to the strengths of his partner BFG bar Didier Drogba.

It goes to shows how things change, as at least one remark was that Laporte was nowhere near as good as Koscielny.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby ESR10 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:49 pm

Looked better than Mustafi in the 10 minutes he played. Should be given a bigger role.
ESR10

Postby Sims » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:49 pm

start him for the rest of the season
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Mike Dean » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:51 am

Sims wrote:start him for the rest of the season

No. He is not ready.

He was atrocious in the CP game.

Was slow and was making poor decisions.

It was his clumsy challenge that led to the free kick and their first goal.
Mike Dean
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to World Football