2018-19 Squad Analysis and Tactics

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: 2018-19 Squad Analysis and Tactics

Postby thebigbangtheo » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:00 am

I'm struggling to appreciate why we are continuing to play with a back four when all season we have had issues at full back.

We started the season without our *best left back then upon his return we lost our best right back. We have had allsorts playing these positions which are crucial to an effective back four and the only thing missing was the names 'Glue and sticking plaster' and 'Bodge it and run' on the backs of their shirts.

During our unbeaten run, Mustafi did produce the odd good performance alongside Holding and Papapastathopolus but still remains so Jekyll and Hyde, particularly in a four.

Holding and Papa have been our two most competent central defenders whilst in my eyes Koscielny has dispelled the notion that he is finished.

Injuries aside, the only functional part of our defense has been our centre backs, so I am struggling to comprehend why we persist with a back four as opposed to going with a back three and just removing the problematic full back issue.

Mustafi being flanked by Kos and Papa might well go a long way to giving him the platform to be the interception master he was at Valencia again which was the reason why we had to pay £35M to get him. If that was also to prove fruitless then fair enough but I just can't view that as being as left field as AMN or Lichsteiner at left back.

I am in no way hung up on trying to resolve the puzzle box that is Mustafi and truth be told he would only be my fifth choice centre back.

Holding, Mavropanos and Papa would be my selection with Kos on the bench. Their game management would be simplified whilst dealing with the space out wide should not over stretch their physical and technical abilities. Add into the mix the defensive prowess of our Uruguayan Tasmanian Devil and how he is often the first on hand to support the full backs when defending and I simply can't see a better defensive set up within our squad.

* I rate Kolasinac but to me he should be converted into a left midfielder and as such Monreal is our best left back.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Losmeister » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:09 am

UFGN wrote:I love it when we play like shit and win

Three points to have a wank to and the salty tears of plastics to use as lube

how do i nominate this as one of the best posts ever since i been around at least??
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Losmeister » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:20 am

Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ag6789 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:44 pm

Four English/PL teams in CL QF. We have won comfortably against ManU, Spurs, had creditable draw against L'pool, lost badly to ManCity and L'POOL away, but I feel we didn't put our best eleven on field those days. So, it seems, our squad , if we make top 4 , this season, isn't to be trifled with, and should be ready for a decent CL run next season.. A more skillful CM and a winger is all we need to challenge the top teams. Of course the defense have to tightened, but , that has to come from a good strategy , planning and drills. Actually that's what Lee Dixon and Keown feels.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:34 am

With our new found form and attacking impetus, all produced without Guendouzi and Torreira what do people think about what the team should be for our run in?? You don't want to change a winning team and we have looked far better in recent games defensively and offensively.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:26 am

theHotHead wrote:With our new found form and attacking impetus, all produced without Guendouzi and Torreira what do people think about what the team should be for our run in?? You don't want to change a winning team and we have looked far better in recent games defensively and offensively.

Till end of season nothing should change, I do feel we could have games where we swap Xhaka and Torreia but as every game is must win we must continue to play Ramsey and all of our best players.

Next season we won't have that option so need to make the most of it now.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:22 am

UPDATING: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31938&p=1680419&hilit=saka#p1680419

Top priorities and pecking order for upcoming summer and winter window, imo:
1) LB
2) CB
3) RWF/RM
4) DM
5) AM

4-3-3/4-2-3-1/3-4-3
GK: Leno, Martinez, Macey, Iliev, Ospina, Cech
RB: Bellerin, Niles, Jenkinson, Osei-Tutu, Lichtsteiner
CB: ???, Koscielny©, Sokratis, Holding, Mavropanos, Pleguezuelo, Mustafi
LB: ???, Kolasinac, Bramall?
DM/CB#3: ???, Monreal, Chambers, Bielik, Medley
CM: Torreira, Guendouzi, Elneny, Sheaf
CM/AM: Ozil, ???, Smith-Rowe, Nwakali, Xhaka, Willock
RWF/RM: ???, Mkhitaryan, Iwobi
LWF/LM: Aubameyang, Nelson, Saka, Welbeck
ST/CF: Lacazette, Aubameyang, Nketiah, Asano
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby coolaa » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:18 am

thebigbangtheo wrote:I'm struggling to appreciate why we are continuing to play with a back four when all season we have had issues at full back.

We started the season without our *best left back then upon his return we lost our best right back. We have had allsorts playing these positions which are crucial to an effective back four and the only thing missing was the names 'Glue and sticking plaster' and 'Bodge it and run' on the backs of their shirts.

During our unbeaten run, Mustafi did produce the odd good performance alongside Holding and Papapastathopolus but still remains so Jekyll and Hyde, particularly in a four.

Holding and Papa have been our two most competent central defenders whilst in my eyes Koscielny has dispelled the notion that he is finished.

Injuries aside, the only functional part of our defense has been our centre backs, so I am struggling to comprehend why we persist with a back four as opposed to going with a back three and just removing the problematic full back issue.

Mustafi being flanked by Kos and Papa might well go a long way to giving him the platform to be the interception master he was at Valencia again which was the reason why we had to pay £35M to get him. If that was also to prove fruitless then fair enough but I just can't view that as being as left field as AMN or Lichsteiner at left back.

I am in no way hung up on trying to resolve the puzzle box that is Mustafi and truth be told he would only be my fifth choice centre back.

Holding, Mavropanos and Papa would be my selection with Kos on the bench. Their game management would be simplified whilst dealing with the space out wide should not over stretch their physical and technical abilities. Add into the mix the defensive prowess of our Uruguayan Tasmanian Devil and how he is often the first on hand to support the full backs when defending and I simply can't see a better defensive set up within our squad.

* I rate Kolasinac but to me he should be converted into a left midfielder and as such Monreal is our best left back.

I would love seeing Mavropanos, holding and Sokratis as back 3 too, but guess the 343 also only worked in most recent games when we had Ramsey played as a CM. If we had to start 2 form Torreira , Geundouzi or xhaka, guess the 2CM are also too slow and the 343 also won't work.
coolaa
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby thebigbangtheo » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:01 pm

Nobody would deny that Xhaka has the acceleration speed of an oil rig, but I don't think a significant lack of pace is something you can reasonably level at Guendouzi or Torreira.

To me at least, the root of all the negative considerations as existed regards Ramsey were borne of it being lost (especially by the player himself) that he was first and foremost exactly that, a central midfielder.

Regardless of whoever they are, if we were to have a pair of competent full backs to make playing a back four our default setting again with 3@the back merely a tactical option for particular games, I think that we'd only need to effectively swap out Mustafi for ANY decent centre half, for our defence to once again have bedrock as a foundation instead of the sand we have become accustomed to.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Re: 21/04/19 | Arsenal 2-3 Crystal Palace | Premier League

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:09 pm

Here are the gaps in our squad for next season imo:

Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:22 pm

^ No side with Xhaka starting is good enough if we're talking about consolidating.

We haven't finished in the top-4 since we signed Xhaka. And, it's no coincidence.

For next season, our ideal first eleven would be:

Leno
Bellerín - Sokratis - Koscielny - LB
CM - Torreira
WF - Dybala - Auba
Lacazette

:hiding:

Or,

Leno
Bellerín - Sokratis - Koscielny - LB
CM - Torreira - Ozil
Dybala - Laca/Auba - WF

Dybala isn't effective out wide, but being the star-man here, which he hasn't been so far might yield different results.

But who am I kidding? We have a budget of £50m, no? :disgust:
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:23 pm

Might as well put messi in there if you're putting dybala
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:23 pm

@starmandb

What is our win ratio with and without xhaka?
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:30 pm

Tony_Adams wrote:Might as well put messi in there if you're putting dybala

Kinda tragic that we seem to pull these rabbits out of the bags like once in 20 or so years. DB10 and Ozil.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:31 pm

Angelito wrote:
Tony_Adams wrote:Might as well put messi in there if you're putting dybala

Kinda tragic that we seem to pull these rabbits out of the bags like once in 20 or so years. DB10 and Ozil.
Ozil is a notch below imo. Alexis maybe, came after being one of the stars of the world cup (albeit deal done beforevwc started).
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk