Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery THE DON

Postby theHotHead » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:49 pm

Phil71 wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Irrespective what people "claim" about same players, same formations etc, there must be a reason for the dramatic fall in performance in away games. If I get some time I will see if i can find a pattern and send it to Emery with a note that says "you're welcome".

The truth is, if we win our last three away games, we will be averaging about the same, results-wise, as we have over the past ten years, with the exception of that awful away form last season.

............P. W. D. L. F... A
08/09 19 9 7 3 37 21
09/10 19 8 4 7 35 26
10/11 19 8 7 4 39 28
11/12 19 9 3 7 35 32
12/13 19 10 5 4 25 14
13/14 19 11 2 6 32 30
14/15 19 10 4 5 30 22
15/16 19 8 7 4 34 25
16/17 19 9 3 7 38 28
17/18 19 4 4 11 20 31
18/19 16 6 4 6 27 28

Good post that, puts things in perspective.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:00 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Irrespective what people "claim" about same players, same formations etc, there must be a reason for the dramatic fall in performance in away games. If I get some time I will see if i can find a pattern and send it to Emery with a note that says "you're welcome".

Yeah because last years away form was amazing ......... with 1 win away in 2018 and that one being the last game of the season.

Quite frankly this is all nonsense from you now because we're in the results end of the season, I'm not interested in your critic of a manager who has us one foot in the EL Semi's and the other foot in the top 4 .......... in his debut season may I add.

You can busy yourself with racking your brain about it while the rest of us just bother about the results.

Emery the Don.

Your problem is you have a bee in your bonnet and you have no clue how to get rid of it. The difference between this season and last season is we had more shite performances even if we got the result at home last season. This season we have been far more convincing at home, performance-wise.

Why you felt the need to bring in last season under a dufus manager I wanted out is a mystery! Talking about now my friend under the current manager.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Jedi » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:08 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Why you felt the need to bring in last season under a dufus manager I wanted out is a mystery! Talking about now my friend under the current manager.

And what season is he supposed to bring up when trying to determine whether or not Emery improved this team? Maybe a team from the George Graham era?
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby ag6789 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:50 pm

If Wenger's worst year is his yardstick, then Good help us!
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby ag6789 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:52 pm

God help us!
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby ag6789 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:53 pm

Anyway, if we manage to win the Europa Lge, I'll give him some credit!
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:07 pm

ag6789 wrote:Anyway, if we manage to win the Europa Lge, I'll give him some credit!

I'm sure it'll mean the world to him. :rolleyes:
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:11 pm

ag6789 wrote:If Wenger's worst year is his yardstick, then Good help us!

Wenger's last season is
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:12 am

Jedi wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

And what season is he supposed to bring up when trying to determine whether or not Emery improved this team? Maybe a team from the George Graham era?

How about just using our brains and seeing for ourselves.

1) Are we playing good football?
2) Are we difficult to beat?
3) Are we defending well?
4) Are our attackers taking chances and linking well?
5) Is our midfield playing well, do they link well?
6) Is the manager tactically astute?
7) Does our manager make good use of subs?

None of the above require comparisons to any previous Arsenal teams, we can all work out the above ourselves, subjectively. I can tell you by using my eyes and engaging my brain that Emery has improved this team, its obvious, in so many ways only a bloody idiot couldn't see.

Worst case if you want to know how well the team is doing simply compare them to our peers in the league currently. Its that simple. The top 6 teams range from average (Man U/Chelsea) to good (Spurs) to very good (Liverpool/Man C).

You lot just like to compare him to dufus Wenger (note I called him dufus Wenger because thats what he was in the end), because its nigh on impossible for Emery to have done worse than him. But its a bollox comparison and you know it. If you absolutely must compare him to Wenger why don't you compare him to good Wenger!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:20 am

ag6789 wrote:If Wenger's worst year is his yardstick, then Good help us!

Dont see the problem with using Wengers last year as a measure because thats the team that Emery enherited.

However, If we win the remaining games (dont see why we couldnt), we have best season (pts wise) in 12 years.

Unai the don
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Jedi » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:39 am

theHotHead wrote:
Jedi wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

How about just using our brains and seeing for ourselves.

1) Are we playing good football?
2) Are we difficult to beat?
3) Are we defending well?
4) Are our attackers taking chances and linking well?
5) Is our midfield playing well, do they link well?
6) Is the manager tactically astute?
7) Does our manager make good use of subs?

None of the above require comparisons to any previous Arsenal teams, we can all work out the above ourselves, subjectively. I can tell you by using my eyes and engaging my brain that Emery has improved this team, its obvious, in so many ways only a bloody idiot couldn't see.

I'm sorry, improved relative to what? You don't look at previous teams, you just look at the performances in a vacuum, how can he improve the team if you're not using any previous team to make a comparison? :dontknow:
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby theHotHead » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:07 am

Well of course relative to previous teams otherwise what are you basing the improvement on. What I am trying to say - badly - is just saying Emery is doing better than shit Wenger is not endorsement enough because any pleb could've done better than Wenger's last season.

I am saying lets compare this Arsenal team and performances to those of our peers. I think Emery's record stands up to all bar Liverpool and City who have had outstanding seasons this far. The fact we are so close to Spurs is proof of that. We have been competitive against the big teams, we don't need to compare Emery's performance to pleb Wenger's cos its a pointless comparison that offers zero real world value.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:18 am

theHotHead wrote:Well of course relative to previous teams otherwise what are you basing the improvement on. What I am trying to say - badly - is just saying Emery is doing better than shit Wenger is not endorsement enough because any pleb could've done better than Wenger's last season.

I am saying lets compare this Arsenal team and performances to those of our peers. I think Emery's record stands up to all bar Liverpool and City who have had outstanding seasons this far. The fact we are so close to Spurs is proof of that. We have been competitive against the big teams, we don't need to compare Emery's performance to pleb Wenger's cos its a pointless comparison that offers zero real world value.

The point of it is to note that we have "improved" we were on the backslide year after year for the last 5 years.

Second this is his debut year not a year when he's had a summer window now he has and has worked with the team, next year attitudes will be different, i.e we will expect a better away record once he's bought some players he wants, when Ramsey is gone as well as Welbeck and others and we see what Emery wants this team to be.

So far he's inherited 85% of a Wenger team if not more and he's made them better especially Xhaka and Lacazette in particular having better seasons.

So yes until he gets a summer under his belt with transfers to shape his team, comparing him to what he inherited is reasonable.

imo you're asking too much in a debut year when he's not even had a summer where he has assessed, sold and brought in his own players yet, all he's had so far is a couple of signings sprinkled onto a Wenger team and all of those players have become the spine of our team, Leno, Sokratis, Torreia.

Which actually makes me sad because they plus Auba were all Mislinslat signings ............ wtf were we thinking letting him go??
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:46 pm

Not only has he inherited Wenger's players - he has inheritd Wenger's players with all of their bad habits, lack of confidence and issues with morale that have resulted through years of bad football management - culminating in last season's horror show.

So this season he has had the task of working with those players and trying to assess if they were good enough in the first place, and if they are, whether they can be fixed to a degree whereby he can use them effectively.

Some people seem to be under the impression that a football manager can walk in the door and wave a magic wand that turns poorly performing players into Maradona.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby swipe right » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:55 pm

theHotHead wrote:Well of course relative to previous teams otherwise what are you basing the improvement on. What I am trying to say - badly - is just saying Emery is doing better than shit Wenger is not endorsement enough because any pleb could've done better than Wenger's last season.

Chelsea and United imploded this season and Spurs are well, Spurs. So it’s not been a great season in England. Relative to all that, I guess he’s done decently well.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football