Mattéo Guendouzi

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Matteo Guendouzi (29)

Postby Zenith » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:47 am

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Phil71 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:22 am

He’s a mature footballer for his age.

I think we’d have more young English players like that if they were given the chance.

Great young player for us.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Zenith » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:33 am

What I like most about him is that he's a natural initiative taker.

Even when he's having a poor game, he never hides and stays positive with his passing.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby RW_0 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:47 pm

Zenith wrote:What I like most about him is that he's a natural initiative taker.

Even when he's having a poor game, he never hides and stays positive with his passing.

Thank God, he didn't join during the Wenger era.
RW_0
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Jase89 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:55 pm

RW_0 wrote:
Zenith wrote:What I like most about him is that he's a natural initiative taker.

Thank God, he didn't join during the Wenger era.

Agree to both comments. He's also probably one of our more forward thinking players. He doesn't get involved with passing back too much, always looking to play it forward
Jase89
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby gooney » Wed May 15, 2019 9:39 am

Young talent with potential. Word is he is gonna earn 75k from now on. This means if he doesnt develop as expected it will be very hard to move him on. We never leArn
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Emeryates » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:51 pm

Am I the only one who thinks he's really overrated? He's young, which is his only real selling point, he's not that good, he loses the ball trying to do too much, and his passing is unreliable
Emeryates
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby theHotHead » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:41 am

I don't think he is overrated. His only fault is his lack of awareness when he receives the ball. He has boundless energy, a decent range of passing, can tackle and is pretty swashbuckling. For a 19 year old in his first season in England he didn't look too bad, he will improve season on season, so he has a good starting point.

His awareness will improve, its that simple glance over both shoulders before receiving the ball that he needs to employ. That is one thing that stands out for me, the difference between amateur footballers and pros (even experienced amateurs have it), its the speed at which they paint a picture of what is around them.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby EliteKiller » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:48 am

He just lacks positional awareness - people say he's young - but at age 20 he's been at a top football club since 2005 (PSG) that's 14 years to develop his abilities. If you haven't managed it in fourteen years chances are you never will. Truly great midfield players, and Ozil on his day shows this, just instinctively know where everyone is on the pitch ... Guendouzi time after time just doesn't have a clue, that's a natural ability you simply can't teach it ...

He's another player in the good but not great category that we seem to be stacked full off ... that's not to say he should go, he's a valuable squad player however you won't find any top sides beating down our door to sign him for 30-40m they can all see his level ...
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Angelito » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:47 am

Guendouzi looks to be a more B2B player than an Ozil or a Pirlo.

He's good and he has the potential to be great, which is why people are excited. He's a bit reckless. He's not as smart as the ones I mentioned. But under Pep or Klopp, he'd be world class. There's little doubt about that.

Guendouzi would be smart to move on from Arsenal in about two seasons. He has it in him. He just needs proper guidance and training.

Many times, we forget how a manager can transform a player, how a manager can make or break one. I'd love to see Guendouzi in a Klopp team. He'd be perfect.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:51 am

This anti Arsenal sentiment is going a little too far.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby swipe right » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:58 pm

I am convinced that had Wenger accepted Mislintat he’d still be our manager. Mislintat would have scouted the Guendozis and Wenger would have enjoyed coaching them. But his ego got in the way and now they’re both gone and we are left with these corporate wonks.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby UFGN » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:02 pm

Hes one of our best players already
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby mel4 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:54 pm

EliteKiller wrote:He just lacks positional awareness - people say he's young - but at age 20 he's been at a top football club since 2005 (PSG) that's 14 years to develop his abilities. If you haven't managed it in fourteen years chances are you never will. Truly great midfield players, and Ozil on his day shows this, just instinctively know where everyone is on the pitch ... Guendouzi time after time just doesn't have a clue, that's a natural ability you simply can't teach it ...

He's another player in the good but not great category that we seem to be stacked full off ... that's not to say he should go, he's a valuable squad player however you won't find any top sides beating down our door to sign him for 30-40m they can all see his level ...

Quick one EK, is there any current Arsenal player (besides Laca and Auba) you actually like and think they are in the 'above good' and 'borderline great' category? I just want to see if the yardstick you used to rate this 20 year old can be measured with this said player.

........ 1 - nil to The Arsenal
mel4
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Zenith » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:03 pm

Good piece on Guendouzi by StatsBomb -

https://statsbomb.com/2019/07/after-a-b ... ext-level/
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator