Mattéo Guendouzi

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Matteo Guendouzi (29)

Postby Roycck » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:08 pm

I hope he beefed up a bit and i am sure he will go all the way!
Roycck
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby StLGooner » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:55 pm

My only complaint about him is that he goes down way too easy. Stay on your f***ing feet you pansy ass kid!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Losmeister » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:05 pm

Power n Glory wrote:I think that's the first goal from Auba I've seen like that.

it's a sad stae of affairs, afaic
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Losmeister » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:58 pm

StLGooner wrote:My only complaint about him is that he goes down way too easy. Stay on your f***ing feet you pansy ass kid!

ALSO, it seems players go around/past him when he is in our defensive third frequently...
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Fran Solo » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:16 am

Remember the Name

BY MATTEO GUENDOUZI
MAR 29 2019

When I tell people I’m 19 years old, they get surprised.

“Oh, Matteo, you’re so mature for your age!”

“Mr. Guendouzi, you carry yourself like a man!”

“I would have thought you were at least 25!”

Things like that make me laugh every time I hear them. Growing up, it was the opposite. People would try to tell me I was a baby. They’d say things like, “You weren’t alive for the 1998 World Cup,” and tell me I didn’t know anything about football. I watched the videos of the tournament, and grew up idolizing Zidane and the goals he scored. But the people who poked fun at me were right. I hadn’t seen France win its first World Cup.

So one day I quietly made a promise to myself — that one day I was going to help France win a World Cup. Big promise to make right? But that’s the best way to do anything.

We shoot for the stars in my family. My parents taught me to be respectful to everybody, to be kind to everybody, to learn from people, and to aim high. That’s why when I was playing football with my older brothers in our back garden in Poissy, I would pretend I was Zinedine Zidane. That’s why I when I was on the Paris Saint-Germain academy teams, I wanted to be a striker like my hero, Pedro Miguel Pauleta.

And that’s why, when I left Paris Saint-Germain at 15, I wasn’t worried because I had a plan and I was going to stick to it. One of my youth coaches once told me, “You have all the qualities needed. Stay as you are. Play football the way you love to play football, and you will have a great career.” It has stuck with me ever since.

A year after I left PSG I ended up playing against them when my Lorient side reached the French U17 cup final. We were a good side, but everyone expected Paris Saint-Germain to win. But there’s something about me you should know: I can’t handle it when you say another team is going to beat mine. That cup final, PSG vs. Lorient, I gave everything I had. I gave my life on the field. I had cramps at the end of the match. But we won, and I knew I had made the right decision when I left PSG to join Lorient.

I feel the same way now that I’m at Arsenal — that I’ve made the right decision and something good is about to happen. When I came to Arsenal, I wasn’t telling myself, “I am the new guy, the youngest player on the team, so I need to be careful.” I was telling myself, “You’ve been brought here to make a difference,” and that’s what I’m striving for. I try to help my team every day. If I need to talk to my teammates, I talk to them. If I have to yell at them, sometimes I yell! That’s probably why everyone is shocked when they find out I’m only 19. I don’t say things just to please people. I don’t pretend or lie, I try to be on the level as much as possible, and I hope people appreciate that about me. At Arsenal when I say I want to win trophies, people know I will work hard to get them, and I think they respect me for it.

So yes, I missed France’s World Cup win in ’98. And didn’t make the team for 2018. But the next time France makes a World Cup final, I’ll be there. Aim high.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us ... zi-arsenal
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:57 pm

Future captain in my estimation. Xhaka will be long gone and forgotten while Matteo will be a legend.
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Fenice » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:58 am

That is a really solid attitude, and it shows on the pitch. Like this kid a lot.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby King of Highbury XIV » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:51 pm

Pat Rice in Short Shorts wrote:Future captain in my estimation. Xhaka will be long gone and forgotten while Matteo will be a legend.

Potentially. Matteo seems to have very high aspirations, let's just hope Arsenal can match those. We've had many players use our club as a stepping stone of late.

Just to make one comment on the Xhaka matter, we finished 2nd the season before we signed him. It's not fair to call him out simply because fighting for 4th place isn't cool for him.
all of my posts are my own opinion
King of Highbury XIV
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Losmeister » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:05 pm

xhaka is simply amore limited player. gooz will grow, i think... he's got some goals in him i think also
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby theHotHead » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:25 am

What was blatantly obvious yesterday was that Guendo switches off far too many times when he is on the ball, allowing opposing players to come in and dispossess him he also goes down far too easily and I dont think he got a free kick a single time yesterday while doing it.

When it happens at the edge of our own box it is dangerous as well as frustrating. If he can fix these 2 things - which of course he can and he will, he will become a top CM for us.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Re: Welcome, Matteo Guendouzi

Postby thebigbangtheo » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:00 pm

thebigbangtheo wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:
theHotHead wrote:If he is good enough he is old enough, I don't buy into this. "he is too young" argument, lots of players have made massive impacts in first team football as teenagers!

No reason he can't be a starter in the first team, he already has more ability than half of our CMs.

I too believe in that old adage, but my issue is not with his age or ability but level of experience. Different pressure to have put in some good sub appearances in the prem and thus earned the opportunity to start, than that going into our first couple of games with too much expectation on you.

Unless we were talking about Mbappe, if it was suggested that we'd be starting the season with a sub £10M French teenager only a few short weeks ago, there would have been a holy inquest into why we hadn't got an experienced, finished article and no doubt raised some fears that Wenger hadn't really left the building.

I hear you but I don't think experience matters for the very reason that, if you are good enough - you are good enough !! The Premier League has a long history of fantastic teenagers cutting their teeth in the first team and doing fantastically well ... with no experience.

I hear you too and maybe the years of watching talented players fail to fulfill their early promise has left me overly cautious about relying on inexperienced youth. Remember, only 3 years ago Iwobi broke through and was doing the biz, at times looking like a star in the making, but mentioning him now normally results in pure dogs abuse.

Trust me, I really like the look of this kid big time, but considering our situation in the cold light of day I would rather we purchased the likes of an Nzonzi to play alongside Torriera and virtually guarantee a solid base to our midfield and the effective shield for our defense that we clearly need.

Guendouzi being back up to such a pair would not be detrimental to his development but the opposite, especially if he is to start games in the Europa, F.A and and league cups.

What I would hate to see is us start the season with Torriera and Guendouzi, the former get injured and for us then to be reliant on the kid partnered with Xhaka or Elneny for a period of time in the league. We need to balance calculated risks against good long term planning.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby HalHartley » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:13 pm

Quite a state we are in if we are starting this guy, he has talent and youth but should be no where near the team sheet at the moment. Way too many crap passes,lack of concentration. Been poor for months.
HalHartley
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Nuggets » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:03 pm

HalHartley wrote:Quite a state we are in if we are starting this guy, he has talent and youth but should be no where near the team sheet at the moment. Way too many crap passes,lack of concentration. Been poor for months.

:clap:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Dejan » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:14 pm

Wouldnt say poor at all.

Yeah i agree his passing is off sometimes. But his physicallity(is this even a word), interceptions and distribution is very valuable to the team imo.

Bar his sloppy passing sometimes he has impressed me more than torreira

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:56 pm

HalHartley wrote:Quite a state we are in if we are starting this guy, he has talent and youth but should be no where near the team sheet at the moment. Way too many crap passes,lack of concentration. Been poor for months.

Had good games v bate h and Newcastle
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

PreviousNext

Return to World Football