The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:22 pm

aniym wrote:
BexleyGooner wrote:If he’s here, he needs to play ffs. He’s still the most creative player we have. The situation is an utter joke.

Is Emery being told not to play him to force him out?

That would be my guess. Mhikitaryan starting over Ozil against Huddersfield leaves no doubt about that.

I think it'll backfire honestly. Inter and Juve both turned down the chance to sign him in a swap deal, and nobody can get past the wage issue. ozil holds the cards and alsp doesn't want to leave London.

What aniym said.

This is not (as has been promoted by some especially pre Ornsteins Raul revelation) an Emery decision, Ozil staying or leaving is above his pay grade.

I'm not saying he hasn't put his opinion across and we don't know if it was positive, negative or both, but discussions from Raul and the board seem to obviously have come to the conclusion that they want to release wage cap space by getting rid of Ozil as per the news coming out.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Goonerz » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:55 pm

aniym wrote:
antfosfosant wrote:The narrative on Ozil has gone too far for anything objective to be said, whether in favour of or against the player. He can play a game ( eg Cardiff) where is only player who consistently looks with very touch as though will create space and chances, and be slated for having a weak game. He can play shit for 89 mins and play a pass to win a game and be lauded as a match winner. My view (objectively!)? Overpaid yes , but to get someone of his quality and creativity, we will be paying north of £200k pw plus a chunky signing on fee (eg £40m). Assuming Ozil has sod all resale value (given his salary), any replacement will cost the same as he does in cash flow terms, give or take. If signing fee is more than £40m or contract less than 5 years, then will be more expensive than Ozil. Not sure who there is out there who is better and could be got cheaper. Certainly not enough cash for 2 or 3 stars.

Do we need a star to get a return of 8-9 assists a season?

Don’t waste your time pointing out that Assist per season thing. They already moved on from it long time ago.
The last time i checked they were on;
“The King of creating space for his teammates and finding pockets that no one else can”
“He is the king of Chances created”.
I think the most recent is the “He is the king of the Pre-Assist stat, that pass just before the assist stat”.

The boy came in with “The King of Assists” label. Now it’s “King of Chances Created and Pre-Assist king”.

Hahaha. I swear life can be a b”tch sometimes. Isn’t it? Even the best amongst us reach a certain time when they can’t offer anymore. :lol:
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:25 pm

^^ I think i created bingo board grid of Ozil excuses once. I should turn it into a wheel since we go round and round on it.

Attackers Ozil has played with ~ Alexis, Giroud, Walcott, Sanogo. Lacazette, Auba (Not on a consistent basis with the latter two)

Attackers Silva has played with ~ Aguero, Tevez, Balotelli, Dzeko, Sterling, Sane, Jesus

And Ozil's still had more assists than Silva since Ozil joined Arsenal. Food for thought.

^^ the "we didn't build the team around Ozil" excuse. How did Silva come into the conversation?

Should I point out that Ozils numbers have been beaten by Zaha and Siggurdson as well?
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Angelito » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:04 pm

aniym wrote:^^ I think i created bingo board grid of Ozil excuses once. I should turn it into a wheel since we go round and round on it.

Attackers Ozil has played with ~ Alexis, Giroud, Walcott, Sanogo. Lacazette, Auba (Not on a consistent basis with the latter two)

Attackers Silva has played with ~ Aguero, Tevez, Balotelli, Dzeko, Sterling, Sane, Jesus

And Ozil's still had more assists than Silva since Ozil joined Arsenal. Food for thought.

^^ the "we didn't build the team around Ozil" excuse. How did Silva come into the conversation?

Should I point out that Ozils numbers have been beaten by Zaha and Siggurdson as well?

Yes, so that your soul can go back to hating Ozil in peace.

If you don't hate him, you'd still be doing much service to the Arsenal fanbase who don't like their players all that much after all. Probably the only fanbase that hates all the world class players it has had since the Invincibles era.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Dynamite » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:33 pm

Silva 76 assists since 2013/2014
Özil 73 assists since 2013/2014

/Transfermarkt

I guess the stats above are outdated. :think:
Dynamite
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby theHotHead » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:36 pm

Goonerz wrote:
aniym wrote:
antfosfosant wrote:The narrative on Ozil has gone too far for anything objective to be said, whether in favour of or against the player. He can play a game ( eg Cardiff) where is only player who consistently looks with very touch as though will create space and chances, and be slated for having a weak game. He can play shit for 89 mins and play a pass to win a game and be lauded as a match winner. My view (objectively!)? Overpaid yes , but to get someone of his quality and creativity, we will be paying north of £200k pw plus a chunky signing on fee (eg £40m). Assuming Ozil has sod all resale value (given his salary), any replacement will cost the same as he does in cash flow terms, give or take. If signing fee is more than £40m or contract less than 5 years, then will be more expensive than Ozil. Not sure who there is out there who is better and could be got cheaper. Certainly not enough cash for 2 or 3 stars.

Do we need a star to get a return of 8-9 assists a season?

Don’t waste your time pointing out that Assist per season thing. They already moved on from it long time ago.
The last time i checked they were on;
“The King of creating space for his teammates and finding pockets that no one else can”
“He is the king of Chances created”.
I think the most recent is the “He is the king of the Pre-Assist stat, that pass just before the assist stat”.

The boy came in with “The King of Assists” label. Now it’s “King of Chances Created and Pre-Assist king”.

Hahaha. I swear life can be a b”tch sometimes. Isn’t it? Even the best amongst us reach a certain time when they can’t offer anymore. :lol:

The idiocy of your argument is that every stat you denigrate that Ozil tops or leads applies to every other footballer in the league and was not created by an Ozil fan.

f**k me, if some people's brains actually worked ......
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:45 pm

Dynamite wrote:Silva 76 assists since 2013/2014
Özil 73 assists since 2013/2014

/Transfermarkt

I guess the stats above are outdated. :think:

Okay, Jose.

Transfermarkt have a different metric.

Could you please compare their stats from the Prem's official website, please? I can't be bothered.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:12 pm

Not on the plane to Belarus ... what's wrong with him this time? Is he on strike?
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Sims » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:17 pm

There’s not been a peep about Mesut’s professionalism throughout all of this

By all accounts and quotes he’s been training well and been a positive influence. There’s not been a bad word said about him and you have to give him a lot of credit for that. A lot of divas would throw their toys out the pram

It’s all just political at the minute
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby BS221B » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:20 pm

Casillas vs Mourinho all over again.

Budget Mourinho Emery is living up his name.
BS221B
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:48 pm

Sims wrote:There’s not been a peep about Mesut’s professionalism throughout all of this

By all accounts and quotes he’s been training well and been a positive influence. There’s not been a bad word said about him and you have to give him a lot of credit for that. A lot of divas would throw their toys out the pram

It’s all just political at the minute

Ozil knows this is the best situation contractually he'll ever get that's why.

If he slips up by being disruptive or putting himself against the club then alienating him will be complete.

Its sad though, the club needs to work out what is actually going to be doable in this situation, if Ozil can just sit this out and not break then AFC should just man up, realise this is a situation from the old guard and just play the man.

Its not like he's crap, as I said before if AFC can't sell him as is obviously their goal then even if it means playing 3 DM like players behind AOL to make up for Emery's insistence on having a competitive team then so be it.

Elneny, Torreia and Guendouzi behind AOL is more than physically competitive enough.

If he's NOT going anywhere we can't afford to break him as a player, that outcome serves no one.

My guess is they'll keep this up till summer, see if they can oust him and if not next season he'll be back in, they surely have no other choice here?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:13 pm

"The players we didn't bring in the squad were because Aaron Ramsey did not train with us and Sokratis only started training on Tuesday and Wednesday, and I don't think it's enough," said Arsenal boss Unai Emery.

"Mesut is the same.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby swipe right » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:10 am

We have won every game that Auba, Laca, Ozil and Ramsey have started. Yet football genius Emery wants to grind out wins with Iwobi and Torreira. Sacked in the morning.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:56 am

Angelito wrote:
aniym wrote:^^ I think i created bingo board grid of Ozil excuses once. I should turn it into a wheel since we go round and round on it.

Yes, so that your soul can go back to hating Ozil in peace.

If you don't hate him, you'd still be doing much service to the Arsenal fanbase who don't like their players all that much after all. Probably the only fanbase that hates all the world class players it has had since the Invincibles era.

I think most Arsenal fans know how to look up EPL/ESPN FC FC websites to grab some basic stats about a player's performance. Look at my posts in the aftermath of Germany's WC exit. I fully supported Ozil in light of the blatant hit job by the Bayern establishment to scapegoat him.

But, Ozil hasn't done the job at Arsenal for 2 seasons running now (I'm not counting 18/19). And the 2 seasons prior to 15/16 were bang average as well. So how is that world class? Plenty of Utd fans were happy when Rooney signed a £300k contract because their sentimentality made them overlook how dramatically his form dipped as he closed in on 30.

The difference is that Utd are made of money while our skint owner can't even open the wallet for a Jan transfer for an injury-devastated squad. That's why Alexis is a meme there instead of a financial hindrance that's standing in the way of bringing in future signings.

The £350k pw is business; I don't hold that against Ozil. But, we're broke, he's into year 3 of mediocrity so a stunning comeback isn't really on the cards. So he's got to go.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby BS221B » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:09 am

Gotta love how we said for years that you need two defensive, hard working players to make Ozil work on your team. Now we got them (Torreira and Guendouzi/Ramsey) but Emery is benching Ozil.

If only Wenger was still on charge... I really dont like that Emery chap.
BS221B
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club