Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Angelito » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:27 am

Jedi wrote:
Angelito wrote:If this side is shit, like some are insinuating or claiming, then last year's side was even shittier. So, then why did Wenger have to go if it's the squad's fault and not the manager's?

The squad being shit IS the managers fault. The difference between Emery and Wenger is that one had 20+ summer transfer windows at this club and one had only one.

I think there's some sort of a cognitive dissonance going on at Arsenal. Emery got this job allegedly because he sold the dream of not spending a whole lot and improving the present lot to Gazidis and co.

We've also accepted that we don't have the money to spend. Not as much as City, United, and Chelsea either way. So, Emery's not going to get unlimited funds or his players. We don't have the cash. And, Emery doesn't have the profile to attract world-class players. We have to hope for Torreiras and Guendouzis, which is why Sven was integral for us.

What I'm seeing is many claiming that Emery needs 4-5 transfer windows before he can be judged. But it's also a fact that we're not going to get Tier 1 players at Arsenal, so the main objective of the manager here is to maximize from what he has and what he can get. Has he been doing that? Well, it's too early, I'll give you that.

You just can't say that he's not performing because he doesn't have the players he needs when the whole premise of him getting the Arsenal job was based on him being able to get more out of less - being able to maximize the potential of existing players or players given to him.

On our squad, it's not shit though. A squad that has Ozil, Aubameyang, Lacazette, Torreira, Monreal, Koscielny, Bellerin, Mkhitaryan, etc. cannot be shit. It's a perfectly capable side that's not playing to its strengths. Unai has his weird setups and formations and we're not getting the best out of our players.

We wanted Wenger gone as he had grown stale and wasn't getting the best out of talented players. That's the crux of the matter.

With a new manager, we wanted someone who'd be able to maximize the potential of the squad. We always knew we can't compete with the big boys financially.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Jedi » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:45 am

I don't know what the board expectations are and why they brought him to the club, and i don't care. My expectations are clear: Some kind of improvement in 1st season and then getting top 4 next season is a must.

I don't think that we need massive funds to get top 4 next season. When i say this squad is awful i don't think that all the players are bad. I just think that It's incredibly unbalanced. For example, having Auba and Laca doesn't help when you're forced to play Maitland Niles or Lichtsteiner who are, in my opinion, Championship level players at best. Same goes for our CB options. Sokratis is a mediocre center back but he looks world class compared to our other options. Koscielny is simply past it and Mustafi was never good enough. It's no wonder we've had our worst crisis this season after injuries to Holding and Bellerin, which i also consider mediocre players. Kolasinac is prone to making errors and Monreal is past it as well. We also don't have wingers. I'm not even sure Iwobi is a winger. I genuinely think Welbeck walks straight into the first eleven when he's fit.

Speaking about Welbeck reminded me of another thing. Injuries.

Holding, Bellerin, Koscielny, Welbeck, all with long term injuries.

Mavropanos, Monreal, Mustafi, Sokratis, Mkhitaryan, Ozil have all been injured for extended periods of time, as well.

When you take all of this into consideration, i am more than happy with us being 1 point away from top 4.

Lets say he has a 70 mil budget in the summer. Bring in a solid CB to partner up with Sokratis for about 30-35 mil, a RB backup that isn't awful for 10-15 mil and a winger for 25 mil. Also keep your eyes open for any decent player coming on a free. Easy top 4 next season.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby UFGN » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:48 am

Angelito wrote:
Jedi wrote:
Angelito wrote:If this side is shit, like some are insinuating or claiming, then last year's side was even shittier. So, then why did Wenger have to go if it's the squad's fault and not the manager's?

The squad being shit IS the managers fault. The difference between Emery and Wenger is that one had 20+ summer transfer windows at this club and one had only one.

I think there's some sort of a cognitive dissonance going on at Arsenal. Emery got this job allegedly because he sold the dream of not spending a whole lot and improving the present lot to Gazidis and co.

We've also accepted that we don't have the money to spend. Not as much as City, United, and Chelsea either way. So, Emery's not going to get unlimited funds or his players. We don't have the cash. And, Emery doesn't have the profile to attract world-class players. We have to hope for Torreiras and Guendouzis, which is why Sven was integral for us.

What I'm seeing is many claiming that Emery needs 4-5 transfer windows before he can be judged. But it's also a fact that we're not going to get Tier 1 players at Arsenal, so the main objective of the manager here is to maximize from what he has and what he can get. Has he been doing that? Well, it's too early, I'll give you that.

You just can't say that he's not performing because he doesn't have the players he needs when the whole premise of him getting the Arsenal job was based on him being able to get more out of less - being able to maximize the potential of existing players or players given to him.

On our squad, it's not shit though. A squad that has Ozil, Aubameyang, Lacazette, Torreira, Monreal, Koscielny, Bellerin, Mkhitaryan, etc. cannot be shit. It's a perfectly capable side that's not playing to its strengths. Unai has his weird setups and formations and we're not getting the best out of our players.

We wanted Wenger gone as he had grown stale and wasn't getting the best out of talented players. That's the crux of the matter.

With a new manager, we wanted someone who'd be able to maximize the potential of the squad. We always knew we can't compete with the big boys financially.

Why is it a "fact" that we won't get any tier one players? We currently have Auba, not bought long ago, and Ozil, who probably isn't tier one any more but certainly was when we bought him

Please don't say because Emery can't attract them. Auba came when every man and his dog knew that Wenger was a diseased old clown who wouldn't be at the club for long. Auba signed in that full knowledge.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Jedi » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:04 pm

UFGN wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Jedi wrote:

Why is it a "fact" that we won't get any tier one players? We currently have Auba, not bought long ago, and Ozil, who probably isn't tier one any more but certainly was when we bought him

Please don't say because Emery can't attract them. Auba came when every man and his dog knew that Wenger was a diseased old clown who wouldn't be at the club for long. Auba signed in that full knowledge.

Good point.

We might not be able to buy a world class talent like Mbappe for 200 million but top/world class players often get sold in 30-40 mil ranges. Kante, Mane, Keita, Fabinho, Bernardo Silva, Sane, Gabriel Jesus, Gundogan off the top of my head. Mind you, all of these players were already rated as top talent before the transfers and weren't "hidden gems" like Salah.

We might need another window where we uncover someone like Guendouzi but once we fill the gaping holes in certain positions we can start comfortably using our whole budget to bring in 2x top players every summer.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby weaponx57 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:46 pm

Well with Sven gone I seriously doubt we will unearth any gems. Raul is not good at that only knows how to bring in expensive players like Neymar and now that Stan owns 100% both Stan and their board are unanswerable to everyone.
weaponx57
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:57 pm

weaponx57 wrote:Well with Sven gone I seriously doubt we will unearth any gems. Raul is not good at that only knows how to bring in expensive players like Neymar and now that Stan owns 100% both Stan and their board are unanswerable to everyone.

This is why Suarez is so curious to some fans, it will be a good indication of what Raul and Emery can bring in and how good he is.

We have to take into account its a loan but we do have a view to a deal so if Denis is good then it'll be good faith, if he's trash then it'll be a concern.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:02 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
weaponx57 wrote:Well with Sven gone I seriously doubt we will unearth any gems. Raul is not good at that only knows how to bring in expensive players like Neymar and now that Stan owns 100% both Stan and their board are unanswerable to everyone.

This is why Suarez is so curious to some fans, it will be a good indication of what Raul and Emery can bring in and how good he is.

We have to take into account its a loan but we do have a view to a deal so if Denis is good then it'll be good faith, if he's trash then it'll be a concern.

If he turns out good they won't sell to us

If he turns out crap we won't buy from them

It's a waste of time
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Pudpop » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:58 pm

UFGN wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

It's a waste of time

Don't we have an option to buy with no obligation?
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:16 pm

Pudpop wrote:
UFGN wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

It's a waste of time

Don't we have an option to buy with no obligation?

Yeah I believe so.

£20m I think it was maximum and if he's not as good we can negotiate lower.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:29 pm

UFGN wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

It's a waste of time

That makes no sense.
If a player wants to move these days, the clubs can't really afford to stop them.
As for a waste of time - well we have the guy for 4 months. If he contributes well, then it's not a waste of time.

He looked quite tidy in his cameo against Huddersfield.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby StLGooner » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:38 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
UFGN wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

It's a waste of time

That makes no sense.
If a player wants to move these days, the clubs can't really afford to stop them.
As for a waste of time - well we have the guy for 4 months. If he contributes well, then it's not a waste of time.

That would be assuming he wants to move though right.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Jedi » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:39 pm

UFGN wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

It's a waste of time

Barca doesn't get to decide. Option to buy = permanent deal we can choose activate in the summer.
StLGooner wrote:That would be assuming he wants to move though right.

No, not even Dennis can't stop the deal if we want him permanently.

You can basically treat it as a permanent deal with an option to return him if he doesn't fit in.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:29 pm

StLGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
UFGN wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

It's a waste of time

That makes no sense.

That would be assuming he wants to move though right.

Yes, of course. We don't know what he'll want to do. I reckon much will depend on how well he does here.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby StLGooner » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:36 pm

Jedi wrote:
UFGN wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

It's a waste of time

Barca doesn't get to decide. Option to buy = permanent deal we can choose activate in the summer.
StLGooner wrote:That would be assuming he wants to move though right.

No, not even Dennis can't stop the deal if we want him permanently.

You can basically treat it as a permanent deal with an option to return him if he doesn't fit in.

Sure he could, can't force someone to sign. Lawyers can get out of anything.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:45 pm

Angelito wrote:^ Exactly.

If this side is shit, like some are insinuating or claiming, then last year's side was even shittier. So, then why did Wenger have to go if it's the squad's fault and not the manager's?

That's now how it works. We had a good, albeit uneven, squad and we've added some good/great players in the summer to have a better squad than last season. It's the manager's job to get this side performing to a certain level.

Unai has been unlucky with injuries. That's for sure. What's also for sure is that the injury crisis at Arsenal isn't anything new. I feel we have the owners to blame for not having a top-class winger in the side. We also have Unai to blame for not playing our best players in a free-flowing attacking style.

As mentioned in the above post, Arsenal players have always played free-flowing football. So, I'm not sure why we're acting like a team that used to park the bus is made to attack all of a sudden. It's the reverse actually. Emery doesn't need 5 years to turn around the "mess at Arsenal" (Luzh). It's not like Unai took over at Southampton or something. You can't give 5 years to a manager in today's setting unless he's fulfilling the objectives set by the club.

I hear you. Some goal post shifting for sure. This time last year the problem was the manager and not the players.

We have injuries but we haven’t lost a load of our midfield players or strikers so it makes no sense why we’re having games where we’re not even registering a shot on goal or getting dominated in possession by Huddersfield.

Seeing how this conversation has somehow circled back into transfers, I don’t think some posters are ready to talk about the tactics and what’s happening on the pitch. It doesn’t matter how many points raised about the tactics or how detailed.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football