The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby Santi » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:16 pm

Prefer watching us get tonked? We're comfortably one of the weakest teams in the knockout phase assuming we get there.

Europa league for me has been way more fun, but guess that's cos I get some fun away trips out of it. If we could have the money from CL and play EL i'd be fine with staying in it for a couple of years, we're not ready to take on the top end of CL.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Pudpop » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:26 pm

Santi wrote:Prefer watching us get tonked? We're comfortably one of the weakest teams in the knockout phase assuming we get there.

Europa league for me has been way more fun, but guess that's cos I get some fun away trips out of it. If we could have the money from CL and play EL i'd be fine with staying in it for a couple of years, we're not ready to take on the top end of CL.

Eh we got tonked under AW. Emery has shown he can win home games against the top 6, maybe he'll be able to pull it off in the CL for us.

Either way the EL is boring until the semis for those of us who can't travel to the games
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Santi » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:37 pm

I'd hope so but he's also showed just as much capability of getting tonked in away games (City, Liverpool) and we've not exactly been perfect at home (City, United, Spurs in cup).

I'd expect against the very top teams it'd be a similar story for now, maybe not quite 10-2 but not much better.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:41 pm

Santi wrote:Prefer watching us get tonked? We're comfortably one of the weakest teams in the knockout phase assuming we get there.

Rather play in cl and go out in the knockout phases against any decent opposition than playing in the europa league and obligated to play against eastern europe clubs none ever heard of every round.

I rarely enjoyed the europa.league games so far

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:57 pm

I admit they're pretty boring when watching on tv, should give more chance to the kids in the comp tbh.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Goonerz » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:11 pm

Dejan wrote:

Rather play in cl and go out in the knockout phases against any decent opposition than playing in the europa league and obligated to play against eastern europe clubs none ever heard of every round.

It’s like saying, “I would rather drop down into the Championship rather than stay in the EPL because the likes of City, Liverpool etc keep tonking us”.

How our confidence and self esteem as a fanbase has been degraded in the last 5 or so season. Sad that this is where we are as a club.
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Santi » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:16 pm

Goonerz wrote:
Dejan wrote:

It’s like saying, “I would rather drop down into the Championship rather than stay in the EPL because the likes of City, Liverpool etc keep tonking us”.

How our confidence and self esteem as a fanbase has been degraded in the last 5 or so season. Sad that this is where we are as a club.

That's not the same or what I was saying at all you complete spanner. The drop is incomparable.

I'm more than on board with the fact we should never accept second best but there's literally only financial benefit from finishing 4th compared to 5th or 6th. We won't win the CL without big improvements so it's not essential to be in it, what is essential is to get back to the top of the league first and go from there.

Plus like I said, it's f***ing fun going to the EL away games.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:08 pm

Goonerz wrote:
Dejan wrote:

Its nothing like saying that at all, get a grip man!
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:00 pm

4th isn't a thing and never will be a thing - other than it is better than 5th and not as good as 3rd.

Just because it's good for business - i.e. CL money - adds absolutely zero to it as a sporting achievement which is all any fan should care about.

Never understood why anyone would cheer 4th place - all it means is we get to pad the bank account with some group games in the CL before getting knocked out by better teams and going into the Europa League anyway.

1st is all that counts. It's all that ever counts.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Interest: waning » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:41 pm

jayramfootball wrote:4th isn't a thing and never will be a thing - other than it is better than 5th and not as good as 3rd.

Just because it's good for business - i.e. CL money - adds absolutely zero to it as a sporting achievement which is all any fan should care about.

Never understood why anyone would cheer 4th place - all it means is we get to pad the bank account with some group games in the CL before getting knocked out by better teams and going into the Europa League anyway.

I agree but when you're in the CL you're seen as a CL club and then more attractive.

Are we attractive whilst we've been playing football in swamps these past two seasons?
Interest: waning
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby theHotHead » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:00 am

Interest: waning wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:4th isn't a thing and never will be a thing - other than it is better than 5th and not as good as 3rd.

I agree but when you're in the CL you're seen as a CL club and then more attractive.

Are we attractive whilst we've been playing football in swamps these past two seasons?

Were we attractive during the 19 consecutive years in the CL under Wenger? Name all of those wonderful players we bought that would only come to us because we were in the CL

Its a point I made in another thread, that argument that we had to be in the CL to attract the top players was bollox because we never spent money on the top players anyway, we always spent less money on players a tier/2 tiers down.

Name the top players we bought who were top players when we bought them. Ozil and Sanchez, thats your lot, for 19 years.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby LMAO » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:15 am

theHotHead wrote:

Were we attractive during the 19 consecutive years in the CL under Wenger? Name all of those wonderful players we bought that would only come to us because we were in the CL

Its a point I made in another thread, that argument that we had to be in the CL to attract the top players was bollox because we never spent money on the top players anyway, we always spent less money on players a tier/2 tiers down.

Name the top players we bought who were top players when we bought them. Ozil and Sanchez, thats your lot, for 19 years.

Petr Cech :hiding:
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby PairyGrows » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:22 am

LMAO wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

I'd add in Santi Cazorla.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Dynamite » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:32 pm

PairyGrows wrote:
LMAO wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

I'd add in Santi Cazorla.

Arshavin, Mertesacker, Podolski, Rosicky, Hleb, Lehmann, Nasri?
Dynamite
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby StLGooner » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:10 pm

It definitely is a thing. When you miss out on the CL you also miss out on millions. If you miss out on millions you miss out on signing the best players to help your squad achieve that number 1 spot that only counts. So while yea we shouldn't be celebrating 4th like we won something, we should however be striving to get at least 4th place every season.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club