Mesut Özil (10)

Arsenal news and interviews
Discuss anything Arsenal related, players, tactics etc.

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby theHotHead » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:08 pm

Goonerz wrote:
Dejan wrote:
Santi wrote:Prefer watching us get tonked? We're comfortably one of the weakest teams in the knockout phase assuming we get there.

Europa league for me has been way more fun, but guess that's cos I get some fun away trips out of it. If we could have the money from CL and play EL i'd be fine with staying in it for a couple of years, we're not ready to take on the top end of CL.
Rather play in cl and go out in the knockout phases against any decent opposition than playing in the europa league and obligated to play against eastern europe clubs none ever heard of every round.

I rarely enjoyed the europa.league games so far

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

It’s like saying, “I would rather drop down into the Championship rather than stay in the EPL because the likes of City, Liverpool etc keep tonking us”.

How our confidence and self esteem as a fanbase has been degraded in the last 5 or so season. Sad that this is where we are as a club.

Its nothing like saying that at all, get a grip man!
theHotHead
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:00 pm

4th isn't a thing and never will be a thing - other than it is better than 5th and not as good as 3rd.

Just because it's good for business - i.e. CL money - adds absolutely zero to it as a sporting achievement which is all any fan should care about.

Never understood why anyone would cheer 4th place - all it means is we get to pad the bank account with some group games in the CL before getting knocked out by better teams and going into the Europa League anyway.

1st is all that counts. It's all that ever counts.
We've got our Arsenal back
jayramfootball
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Interest: waning » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:41 pm

jayramfootball wrote:4th isn't a thing and never will be a thing - other than it is better than 5th and not as good as 3rd.

Just because it's good for business - i.e. CL money - adds absolutely zero to it as a sporting achievement which is all any fan should care about.

Never understood why anyone would cheer 4th place - all it means is we get to pad the bank account with some group games in the CL before getting knocked out by better teams and going into the Europa League anyway.

I agree but when you're in the CL you're seen as a CL club and then more attractive.

Are we attractive whilst we've been playing football in swamps these past two seasons?
Interest: waning
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby theHotHead » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:00 am

Interest: waning wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:4th isn't a thing and never will be a thing - other than it is better than 5th and not as good as 3rd.

I agree but when you're in the CL you're seen as a CL club and then more attractive.

Are we attractive whilst we've been playing football in swamps these past two seasons?

Were we attractive during the 19 consecutive years in the CL under Wenger? Name all of those wonderful players we bought that would only come to us because we were in the CL

Its a point I made in another thread, that argument that we had to be in the CL to attract the top players was bollox because we never spent money on the top players anyway, we always spent less money on players a tier/2 tiers down.

Name the top players we bought who were top players when we bought them. Ozil and Sanchez, thats your lot, for 19 years.
theHotHead
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby LMAO » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:15 am

theHotHead wrote:

Were we attractive during the 19 consecutive years in the CL under Wenger? Name all of those wonderful players we bought that would only come to us because we were in the CL

Its a point I made in another thread, that argument that we had to be in the CL to attract the top players was bollox because we never spent money on the top players anyway, we always spent less money on players a tier/2 tiers down.

Name the top players we bought who were top players when we bought them. Ozil and Sanchez, thats your lot, for 19 years.

Petr Cech :hiding:
LMAO
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby PairyGrows » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:22 am

LMAO wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

I'd add in Santi Cazorla.
PairyGrows
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Dynamite » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:32 pm

PairyGrows wrote:
LMAO wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

Arshavin, Mertesacker, Podolski, Rosicky, Hleb, Lehmann, Nasri?
Dynamite
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby StLGooner » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:10 pm

It definitely is a thing. When you miss out on the CL you also miss out on millions. If you miss out on millions you miss out on signing the best players to help your squad achieve that number 1 spot that only counts. So while yea we shouldn't be celebrating 4th like we won something, we should however be striving to get at least 4th place every season.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Losmeister » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:24 pm

StLGooner wrote:

It definitely is a thing. When you miss out on the CL you also miss out on millions. If you miss out on millions you miss out on signing the best players to help your squad achieve that number 1 spot that only counts. So while yea we shouldn't be celebrating 4th like we won something, we should however be striving to get at least 4th place every season.

having the $$ is nice NEVER COMING CLOSE in the UCL is lame... so we were there, but we lost in the 1st KO stage HOW MANY TIMES??? had too look it up...

7 times in a row. 7. last 2 were 5-1 and 10-2 aggregate... truly and wholly a 2nd tier club. we need more thna 2 or 3 top class players to compete.
Losmeister
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby theHotHead » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:25 pm

Dynamite wrote:
PairyGrows wrote:
LMAO wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

Arshavin, Mertesacker, Podolski, Rosicky, Hleb, Lehmann, Nasri?

Im sorry but none of them were top tier when we bought them. Cazorla, Merts and Rosicky were not seen as top tier when we got them. Lots of people laughed when we bought Merts saying he moved at the pace of evolution. Cazorla was a good looking player but no major club went in for him - we only got him because Malaga were desperate for a quick sale to get some money. Rosicky was unfortunately very injury prone so nobody knew if he would get a lot of game time.

Arshavin was never world class, neither was Hleb, Podolski or Lehmann. Nasri became world class at Arsenal, he wasn't when we bought him though.

Even when you look at Bergkamp (pre Wenger anyway) and Henry, Bergkamp was one of the best players in the world when he went to Inter but had a disappointing season or so there. Henry flopped at Juve before he came to us.

The only players that we bought at the top of their game who regarded as world class were Ozil and Sanchez.
theHotHead
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Losmeister » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:41 pm

someone called podolski world class.... ffs
Losmeister
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Rockape » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:50 pm

theHotHead wrote:

Very true, people spouting on about needing to be in the CL to attract the best players, but you need the cash to back it up and only a couple of times in all those years have we done that! However, we can't be content to play in the EL because that's the only comp we stand a chance of winning. If we take on that mentality, we'll NEVER make it back to the elite level. We have to keep pushing to be the best, even if our players aren't good enough currently.
Rockape
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby StLGooner » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:15 pm

Losmeister wrote:someone called podolski world class.... ffs

His left foot was world class, not his overall game though.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:21 pm

Rockape wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

Very true, people spouting on about needing to be in the CL to attract the best players, but you need the cash to back it up and only a couple of times in all those years have we done that! However, we can't be content to play in the EL because that's the only comp we stand a chance of winning. If we take on that mentality, we'll NEVER make it back to the elite level. We have to keep pushing to be the best, even if our players aren't good enough currently.

So you guys are arguing that we don't need CL to attract top players because we never bought them anyway, so what's the point? Is that correct?

If so, I would say then that is the issue. We haven't been as successful as we would hope to be because we haven't bought enough top players. Top players want to win, and they want to get paid generously for it. So if we want to win, and want to attract and then pay these top players, we need all the help financially we can get.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby swipe right » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:31 pm

So let’s see...
Sanchez on 350k at MU
Ramsey on 400k at Juve
So why was it wrong to offer Ozil 350k to keep him?
Good: Pepe, Tierney
TBD: Salibas, Martinelli
Panic buys: Cebellos, Luiz
swipe right
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk