Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Santi » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:22 pm

I don't like this 4th place chatter, first of all if we were challenging the big boys then we wouldn't care about 4th place but also we're 1 point behind before Chelsea have played, while 2 weeks ago we were 4th and a couple of weeks before that 3 behind.

It's changing all the time, we have hard fixtures coming up and they will determine how close we are to the top 4. Reality is, United were utter dogshit for half the season and are now ahead of us. Reality is we are nowhere near the top 3. Being close to Chelsea and United is fine, it's decent but whether we finish 1 ahead or 5 points behind them, we look 6th best out of the top 6 on the pitch.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby BS221B » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:46 pm

You are delusional if you think we can finish above sixth place this season.
BS221B
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Angelito » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:47 pm

Jedi wrote:That being said, if he manages to finish Top 4 or win EL this season with abomination of a squad he is the automatic GOAT manager.

Jedi wrote:I fully believe we can win the EL and we're still the joint favorites to win it alongside Chelsea.

Have an abomination of a squad, yet are joint favorites to win the EL?

That's some 4D chess right there.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Marsbar100 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:47 pm

Ach wrote:
Marsbar100 wrote:Of course he should be doing better than Wenger, we signed 5 defensive players, Laca is more settled, he has had Pea for a whole season, on top of that Wenger was just terrible in general.

Reality is we are 6th, been knocked out of 2 cup competitions at home, playing average football offensively and look poor defensively, trust needs to be earnt, some of you are easily pleased, he needs top 4 or an EL win to earn trust.

By trust I mean giving me some sort of hope that this guy can land us a title, not that he is better than Wenger because I know he is better than Wenger, there is 30 managers we could have got better than what Wenger was producing.

Didn't you want Arteta or Henry?

My issue with Emery was at top level he had a suspect record, going a season without an away win with a team like Sevilla, losing a one horse title race, being at the helm of the biggest bottlejob in CL history.

I will give him credit for his EL record but the reality is it's a faliure competition, the real competition was to tough for him.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:59 pm

You have to play with the squad you have. Wenger couldn't get past a single R16 opponent since 2011.

The 'real competition' is too tough for 90pct of the teams. Thats why it's usually only Real, Juve, Barca and Bayern that make it past the QFs.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Jedi » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:43 pm

Angelito wrote:
Jedi wrote:That being said, if he manages to finish Top 4 or win EL this season with abomination of a squad he is the automatic GOAT manager.

Jedi wrote:I fully believe we can win the EL and we're still the joint favorites to win it alongside Chelsea.

Emery effect tbh
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Ach » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:54 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:
Ach wrote:
Marsbar100 wrote:Of course he should be doing better than Wenger, we signed 5 defensive players, Laca is more settled, he has had Pea for a whole season, on top of that Wenger was just terrible in general.

Reality is we are 6th, been knocked out of 2 cup competitions at home, playing average football offensively and look poor defensively, trust needs to be earnt, some of you are easily pleased, he needs top 4 or an EL win to earn trust.

By trust I mean giving me some sort of hope that this guy can land us a title, not that he is better than Wenger because I know he is better than Wenger, there is 30 managers we could have got better than what Wenger was producing.

Didn't you want Arteta or Henry?

My issue with Emery was at top level he had a suspect record, going a season without an away win with a team like Sevilla, losing a one horse title race, being at the helm of the biggest bottlejob in CL history.

I will give him credit for his EL record but the reality is it's a faliure competition, the real competition was to tough for him.

He beat the GOAT Monaco side to the title. Awesome in Europe. Destroyed Barca in a way never done before or since in that first leg only for the referee to even it up in the 2nd but but emery was to blame for 4 referee errors leading to goals I take it?

But you don't like emery, that's fair enough. Daddy Wenger boys don't like change and it takes time. But you wanted Henry or Arteta, neither anywhere near emerys league in management. Explain that
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Marsbar100 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:05 pm

Can't remember being to big on arteta but he hasn't failed yet, my issue with him would have been does he have a strong enough personality.

Henry I wouldn't have been against, he would have given the fans a boost, he had experience in some Goat teams, France 98, arsenal 04, Barcelona 09, was hoping it would help us, obviously he has failed now but hindsight is hindsight.

I have nothing against Emery, his record would suggest he is a good manager, we need a great manager to win the pl or cl, I am not convinced he is that.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100

Postby Ach » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:26 pm

BS221B wrote:"Abomination of a squad" lol, never Emery's fault.

If we had Sarri, we couldve been challenging the title now. Sarrismo football style is fit this squad like a glove.

:rofll:
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:47 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:Can't remember being to big on arteta but he hasn't failed yet, my issue with him would have been does he have a strong enough personality.

Henry I wouldn't have been against, he would have given the fans a boost, he had experience in some Goat teams, France 98, arsenal 04, Barcelona 09, was hoping it would help us, obviously he has failed now but hindsight is hindsight.

I have nothing against Emery, his record would suggest he is a good manager, we need a great manager to win the pl or cl, I am not convinced he is that.

That post is just words that in practice mean absolutely nothing
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Ach » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:51 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:Can't remember being to big on arteta but he hasn't failed yet, my issue with him would have been does he have a strong enough personality.

Wasn't hindsight to know Henry would be a horrific manager. He was a horrific captain. No leadership whatsoever and only reason people wanted him as manager was cos he is an Arsenal legend but Adams is a far bigger legend and no one would want him and he has managerial experience as well

Arteta is just dog
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:51 pm

Angelito wrote:

It's an EL level squad of 25.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby LMAO » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:04 am

Man actually had us play defensively against Huddersfield. North London has not seen banter of this level since we won the league at Shite Hart Lane.

Emery needs to stop being so conservative and have us play to our strength, which lays in our attack with a £100 million striker partnership. We still leak goals even when trying to keep a clean sheet against the worst team in the league, so may as well go full glass cannon ffs
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:28 am

LMAO wrote:Man actually had us play defensively against Huddersfield. North London has not seen banter of this level since we won the league at Shite Hart Lane.

Emery needs to stop being so conservative and have us play to our strength, which lays in our attack with a £100 million striker partnership. We still leak goals even when trying to keep a clean sheet against the worst team in the league, so may as well go full glass cannon ffs

I agree but maybe that's because he has no faith in our defence, Huddersfield hadn't scored a goal in weeks until we turned up.

If Emery had better defenders he probably wouldn't of.

Also this may be a case of that Emery needs results, he's not Wenger, he can't risk losing these sorts of games and keep his job.

Regardless I do wish he'd stop using 3-4-3, I see no benefit over 4-3-3, we leak the same goals, but we play better without it.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby LMAO » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:43 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
LMAO wrote:Man actually had us play defensively against Huddersfield. North London has not seen banter of this level since we won the league at Shite Hart Lane.

I agree but maybe that's because he has no faith in our defence, Huddersfield hadn't scored a goal in weeks until we turned up.

If Emery had better defenders he probably wouldn't of.

Also this may be a case of that Emery needs results, he's not Wenger, he can't risk losing these sorts of games and keep his job.

Regardless I do wish he'd stop using 3-4-3, I see no benefit over 4-3-3, we leak the same goals, but we play better without it.

I'm just irritated because during his opening press conference as AFC head coach, he said that he'd rather win 5-4 than 1-0.

But while I've been critical of our play style lately, I can't completely shit on the guy because without us playing the 5-4 way earlier in the season, we wouldn't be ahead of Chelsea rn
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football