The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:38 am

Angelito wrote:
It's obvious I'm talking about the last two decades.

What does that even mean though?

How are you going to compare Emery's 3/4 of a season in charge to Wenger's entire tenure?

That doesn't even make sense, just a bizarre angle to come with.

Ever since Wenger left you've gone way overboard in your defence of him, it's just revisionism.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby EliteKiller » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:03 am

Anyone heard why he wasn't in the squad yesterday? the only newspapers reporting hint at sickness but no details ....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:21 am

Angelito wrote:

I've said it many times and I still don't understand why people pretend like Arsenal F.C. was born in 2017.

In 21 out of those 22 years at Arsenal, Wenger's either won a trophy here or finished in the top-4. He accomplished that without spending much and by having a negative net spend. That is what I'm referring to.

We all are aware of Wenger's shortcomings during the last 3-4 years of his time at Arsenal. Add that to how City and Chelsea flooded the league with sugar daddy money, and Liverpool's and Spurs' resurgence, the picture painted is far too harsher to Wenger than it is in reality. It wasn't Wenger's fault that we have an unambitious owner.

But even if you want to talk about last season, Wenger left us with 2 world class players in Ozil and Aubameyang and 4 top-class players in Lacazette, Monreal, Bellerin, and Koscielny. It's not like he left us with a bunch of useless players. It's also not Wenger's fault that we hired a manager who's averse to flair players or attacking football.

If you want to delve into stats, we have a worse defensive track-record than we've ever had under Wenger. In the summer, we added 5 defensive players: Torreira, Sokratis, Guendouzi, Lichtsteiner, and Leno. Yet, we have a worse defense than last season. We also play a dire brand of football. If you think we're playing better football this season in comparison to last season, you either haven't watched us play this season or haven't been paying attention. Wenger's worst is still better than Unai's first at Arsenal.

I'm ready to push this season under the rug as it's Unai's first season but overall, he's been far from impressive - be it player management, our style of football, our defense, our attack, or our pathetic run in the Cups this season.

To put it into perspective, the worst season ever of Wenger - that is being used as a barometer here for Emery - still resulted in us reaching a cup final and the SFs of the EL—losing to the eventual champions on both occasions. So, if we're to have a better season than last season, we have to make it to the final of the EL this season or finish in the top-4.

Perspective.

I'll repeat it again: if there's ever a managerial equivalent of Liverpool, it's Unai Emery at Arsenal. It's never his fault.

Mate, absolutely spot on, I can't see how people do not get what you are saying. Anyone splitting hairs about this to try to make an alternate point is being pathetic.

The only things that differ for me are, a) I'm not worried bout emery undoing Wenger's work because Wenger already did that by himself and b) for me it was Wenger's shortcomings over the past 8-9 years, not the 3-4 you mention.

I disliked Wenger massively and wanted him gone since around 2010/2011, my criticism of Emery has NOTHING to do with a yearning/fondness of Wenger. What Wenger achieved was phenomenal, but he also underachieved at the same time, by being tactically brain dead and stubborn in his ways. He did not leave a dead squad, Wenger was 100% trash in his last 3 or so seasons. Emery should be doing better than he is with what he has, he is not immune from criticism therefore, first season at the club or not.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Angelito » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:24 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Angelito wrote:

What does that even mean though?

How are you going to compare Emery's 3/4 of a season in charge to Wenger's entire tenure?

That doesn't even make sense, just a bizarre angle to come with.

Ever since Wenger left you've gone way overboard in your defence of him, it's just revisionism.

It means that I fear the club is becoming the English Sevilla.

Now, I realize that I've been coming off a lot negative lately but you could also say that I'm being extra-critical of Emery with all the shenanigans he's pulled off since joining. His track record also doesn't fill me with inspiration.

I believe any other manager would be getting better out of this squad, or would at least play a better brand of football.

Regarding Wenger, yes, there's no reason to dislike or criticize our greatest manager ever - now that he's gone. His contributions have been immense and I can only look back at those Wenger years with fondness. He should have left 3-4 years ago, yes, but it doesn't change my admiration for the man. It's another thing that we have clowns running the club.

This is the worst we've ever been at Arsenal and under Wenger we had those constant UCL humiliations. But when Huddersfield Town have more possession than you and look more dominant, it's time to think hard.

We're clearly on a decline and I feel, Emery has accelerated or is accelerating the process. It's not his fault alone but I doubt Kroenke tells him to use 7-8 defensive minded players every game, change formations/setup every game, or make the team play a lethargic brand of football.

We're worse off this season than we were last season—Wenger's worst and we seem to be deriving pleasure from the fact that we have 3 more points this season than we did in Wenger's worst ever season. That's how low the bar is.

Because honestly nobody can even dream of comparing him to Wenger's average seasons - let alone best.

It's too early? Depends on your perspective. Nowhere in world football is a failing manager given 2-3 seasons to do whatever he wants, except at Arsenal. And he's not an Arsenal legend. It doesn't work that way.

Failure to reach the final of the EL or finish in the top-4 would mean that this is the worst Arsenal season since Bruce Rioch's last season. It's just sad.

I wouldn't have cared if we actually played good football or if we saw an inkling of what Emery wants to do at Arsenal. That's not the case. He sets us up as a mid-table side every game. If Unai were managing United, we'd be laughing at them. Fact.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby theHotHead » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:48 am

Dynamite wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Dynamite wrote:
About the untrue "took a pay cut" rumour.

Dynamite wrote:
On 18 August 2010, the footballer signed a six-year contract with Real Madrid, earning for the first time in his career on a grand scale. The Madrilenes guaranteed him, according to football leaks, an annual gross salary of at least € 8,771,930

Özil joined with a signature on 2 September 2013 for a transfer fee of 50 million euros to the London club Arsenal FC, where also the then national team colleagues Lukas Podolski and Per Mertesacker played. Never before has Arsenal and his coach Arsene Wenger so much money spent for a football player as for Özil.

Again, the contract details have become known through football leaks:

Annual gross base salary of the Gunners: 10.2 million euros
Premium for reaching the Champions League group phase: 1.8 million euros
Hand money on conclusion of the contract (payable on 5 stages at 1.2 million): 6 million euros
Who now thinks that this list was everything, should hold on well, because the German has agreed with Arsenal on a " guaranteed annual minimum ", which according to football leaks amounts to 8,077,000 euros net . How are these possible extra payments processed? With its own marketing company (The "Özil Marketing GmbH"), to the Arsenal London until June 2018 further 1,476,095 euros annually transferred to "officially" promote the superstar.

Contract extension 2018
The contract extension in early 2018 with Arsenal makes Özil rise to the top earner of the Premier League. He earns an incredible 350,000 pounds a week , which equals a year's salary of 18.2 million pounds. This translates to about 20.7 million euros.

Ozil's salary at Real Madrid:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/aug/17/mesut-ozil-real-madrid1

According to the article he earned €5m after tax, thats pre-brexit vote so exchange rate would be approx 1.2€ to the pound, so £4.16m before tax. Spain's top level interest rate was approx 50%, so pre tax Ozil earned £8.32m. Over 52 weeks thats £160k per week.

Arsenal's salary at Arsenal:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/sep/02/mesut-ozil-arsenal-real-madrid

The article doesn't state so I took his £150k per week salary as pre tax.

I might be wrong about he maths so I showed my working out.

https://translate.google.de/translate?hl=de&tab=wT&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.vermoegenmagazin.de%2Fmesut-oezil-vermoegen-gehalt%2F

By german law among others a GmbH has an obligation to publicly disclose an annual financial statement (you can buy the full one if interested)

https://bit.ly/2GjGFYl

Ok lets do the maths using your figures. According to the article Ozil earned a minimum of €8,077,000 net per season. Using 1.2€ to the pound thats £6,730,833 per season. Seeing as most of Ozil's salary attracts 45% tax he earns £9,759,707 pre tax, which is £187k per week. Please correct me if my maths is wrong.

In my post I quoted his UK salary as £150k per week, if you assume its post tax it puts Ozil on £217.5k per week pre tax. We all know no player was on £200k+ at Arsenal until Ozil's latest contract so that figure can't be right. So who knows ultimately.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:57 am

I think people are forgetting just how shit Wenger was, he was pure shit in the end. Thats not a goal, therefore, for Emery to look to, to say Emery is no worse this season is a non-argument. How is it acceptable for a man to be equal to the worst of a previous manager ??? Come on guys, use your brains.

I expected better from Emery, I was excited by the undefeated streak we went on, but that bubble burst and the frailties and issues that were being masked by that run have now come to the fore. We don't have shit players, Emery's job is to find a solution that works for the players we have and he has not ! If he had our football would be miles better than it is. I could accept a loss if we played good football, for me that would be signs, no, proof, that we are progressing. The league table for me this season was not important, getting a brand of football that was a joy to watch was the priority. Improving our shocking defensive displays was a priority.

Otherwise we should've just given the job to Sam Allardyce, we certainly would've been better defensively.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Interest: waning » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:22 am

theHotHead wrote:I think people are forgetting just how shit Wenger was, he was pure shit in the end. Thats not a goal, therefore, for Emery to look to, to say Emery is no worse this season is a non-argument. How is it acceptable for a man to be equal to the worst of a previous manager ??? Come on guys, use your brains.

I expected better from Emery, I was excited by the undefeated streak we went on, but that bubble burst and the frailties and issues that were being masked by that run have now come to the fore. We don't have shit players, Emery's job is to find a solution that works for the players we have and he has not ! If he had our football would be miles better than it is. I could accept a loss if we played good football, for me that would be signs, no, proof, that we are progressing. The league table for me this season was not important, getting a brand of football that was a joy to watch was the priority. Improving our shocking defensive displays was a priority.

Otherwise we should've just given the job to Sam Allardyce, we certainly would've been better defensively.
It is quite simple: we have many, many shit players. That's the reality.

It's only because we have Aubameyang, Lacazette, Guendouzi and Torreira (but mainly the first two) that we aren't battling Everton, Wolves and Watford.

That's how shit our squad is.

Wenger couldn't get his team to play good football for many years prior to his sacking, and that's with a group he put together in his own image.
Interest: waning
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby theHotHead » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:06 am

Interest: waning wrote:
theHotHead wrote:I think people are forgetting just how shit Wenger was, he was pure shit in the end. Thats not a goal, therefore, for Emery to look to, to say Emery is no worse this season is a non-argument. How is it acceptable for a man to be equal to the worst of a previous manager ??? Come on guys, use your brains.

It is quite simple: we have many, many shit players. That's the reality.

It's only because we have Aubameyang, Lacazette, Guendouzi and Torreira (but mainly the first two) that we aren't battling Everton, Wolves and Watford.

That's how shit our squad is.

Wenger couldn't get his team to play good football for many years prior to his sacking, and that's with a group he put together in his own image.

Thats because as a coach he became awful !!! You can't tell me that it is more difficult to play good football with the players we have now, than the players we had before - Walcott, Giroud, Coquelin, Bendtner, Gervinho, Chamakh, Denilson, Squillaci, Almunia, Flappyhandski, Carl Jenkinson, Oxlade Chamberlain, Arteta et al.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby swipe right » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:52 pm

Wenger became shit because he missed top four twice in 22 years? Once by a single point? He won three cups in the last five years. If this is shit management what can one call Pochetino?
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:37 pm

swipe right wrote:Wenger became shit because he missed top four twice in 22 years? Once by a single point? He won three cups in the last five years. If this is shit management what can one call Pochetino?

No, real fans don't see 4th place as a "thing" mate!

The shit football we played despite spending more money on players and increasing wage bill is the reason Wenger became shit.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Angelito » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:56 pm

theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:Wenger became shit because he missed top four twice in 22 years? Once by a single point? He won three cups in the last five years. If this is shit management what can one call Pochetino?

No, real fans don't see 4th place as a "thing" mate!

The shit football we played despite spending more money on players and increasing wage bill is the reason Wenger became shit.

In defense of Wenger, the signings of Mustafi, Perez, and arguably Xhaka are rumored to be StatDNA based Gazidis signings. It's a reaction after Wenger refused to sign anyone in the summer of 2015.

Unfortunately, top-4 is a thing. It's what United want as a bare minimum. It's what Chelsea owners want on a consistent basis. It's what Spurs live for. In that sense, Wenger's won a trophy or finished in the top-4 every season barring his final season.

We wanted to get rid of Wenger because of those constant humiliations in the UCL; because he wasn't getting the best out of the squad, and because we'd grown stale. We didn't want to get rid of Wenger so that we could get an even worse manager. Just because Wenger was underperforming in his final years - it doesn't mean we settle for someone worse. This is black humor. Ugh.

In defense of Emery, nonetheless, if he does manage to reach the SFs of the EL or we fight for top-4 until the final day of the season, I'm willing to give him more time. But if our style doesn't improve next season, he should be sacked. He doesn't have a positive track record and is basically a glorified David Moyes.

My opinion.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby theHotHead » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:41 pm

I would rather be in the Europa League and win it than be humiliated in the CL.

I can't say I am any happier to finish 4th than finishing 5th or 6th, I feel exactly the same way in all honesty.

What about the rest of you?
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Santi » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:47 pm

I'd like us to finish 4th in hope that the money boost improves the squad towards a future title challenge.

As for overall bragging rights between 4th-6th and such like, I couldn't give a f**k. Only ones who can brag are the champs. It's purely financial after that.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Dynamite » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:54 pm

Santi wrote:I'd like us to finish 4th in hope that the money boost improves the squad towards a future title challenge.

As for overall bragging rights between 4th-6th and such like, I couldn't give a f**k. Only ones who can brag are the champs. It's purely financial after that.

Pretty much
Dynamite
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Pudpop » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:10 pm

Well I definitely prefer watching CL to watching Europa, so I prefer 4th
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club