Arsenal Vs Aston Villa | Premiership 15/11/08

Re: Arsenal Vs Aston Villa | Premiership 15/11/08

Postby Inchpräctice » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:41 pm

It really annoys me when people use the Cesc excuse.
Can't you see that Cesc is a prodigy, a one in a million? Almost no other 16 year-old is as good as he was at that age.
Every other young player is about the same level as Bendy, Theo, Simpson etc.
You can't compare every young player in our squad to him.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Fordy » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:43 pm

Inchpractice wrote:It really annoys me when people use the Cesc excuse.
Can't you see that Cesc is a prodigy, a one in a million? Almost no other 16 year-old is as good as he was at that age.

rooney , messi and bojan to name a few if your that good age plays no part and you play them
Fordy

Postby Inchpräctice » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:43 pm

Fordy wrote:so why not play vela? And don't give me he's not ready he played a full season in the Spanish top league and destroyed wigan a prem team.

Your saying bendy is not ready so what difference does it make if vela's not ready

Vela is less ready imo.
I know he played in the Spanish league but the Prem is the most physical league in Europe, it's just not the same.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Leody » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:43 pm

Ok, fine...

But most players have at least come somewhere close to their peak ability by 20... and if Bendtner is going to be anything special he's a LOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGG way off.

I don't see Bendtner ever being anything special. He'll never be more than a serviceable substitute player at Arsenal.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Inchpräctice » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:48 pm

Leody wrote:I don't see Bendtner ever being anything special. He'll never be more than a serviceable substitute player at Arsenal.

But as I keep saying, we said the same things about Theo and Denilson when they weren't playing well in their first/second season.
Now they've progressed into decent players and Bendy will too but he might take a bit longer.
He's not ready to play as a lone striker against a top team like Villa but there are many experienced strikers that would struggle against a defence like that.
Villa's defending was absolutely superb today.
No-one got half a second on the ball and they brought every player down who even dreamt of making a run through the final third.
They got carded for it but never the same man twice which is clever.
They were very strong defensively and Ade wasn't all that much better when he came on.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Good_Eye_Sniper » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:55 pm

Just for the record, I'm not singling out Bendtner for sole criticism today, the whole team played like a vat of shit flavoured lard. We had two wingers who can and have acted as strikers and contributed goals this season, and still we had almost nothing up front.

OK, Villa's defence was good, but come on, they're no Barcelona are they? And if we struggle against them, we're in for a whole lot of nothing this season, again :doh:
Good_Eye_Sniper
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Inchpräctice » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:00 pm

Fordy wrote:

rooney , messi and bojan to name a few if your that good age plays no part and you play them

Well done, you've just name the other handful of prodigies in the world.
Cesc is not the only player worldwide who was awesome at 16 but there are almost none of them.
99.999999999999999999999999999% of 16 - 19 year old players in the world are nowhere NEAR the level of Cesc, Messi etc. and Bendtner is as good or bad, consistent or inconsistent as most other players of his age, he's just in the spotlight more which is Wenger's fault, no-one else's.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Inchpräctice » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:04 pm

Good_Eye_Sniper wrote:Just for the record, I'm not singling out Bendtner for sole criticism today, the whole team played like a vat of shit flavoured lard. We had two wingers who can and have acted as strikers and contributed goals this season, and still we had almost nothing up front.

OK, Villa's defence was good, but come on, they're no Barcelona are they? And if we struggle against them, we're in for a whole lot of nothing this season, again :doh:

I'm glad that some people here realise that the whole team were bad.
No they're not Barcelona but that's part of our problem.
Any half decent team can park the bus and try to hit us on the break and if we're not on top form they can take the points.
It's the well recognised formula for getting points against us.
Villa defended superbly today but you don't need to be as good as them to beat us hence the Hull and Stoke results.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Cheese » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:04 pm

Messi is the most inconsistant young player ever, ask any Barca fan.
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Leody » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:09 pm

Inch, I respect your opinion greatly... however, saying we never had time on the ball is a BS excuse.

If that's the case then we need to make space and move better. Simple fact is, we're not that good, we weren't that good today... However you want to look at it the onus is on US to get it done. Simple fact is the players have shown us time and time again they are not capable of doing so. Things need to change. Period.

You can sugar coat any way you want it, but at the end of the day it's our job to show up and get it done. This squad have shown us they can't.

edit: and I along with many other Arsenal supporters am sick of waiting and not seeing any improvement year after year.
Last edited by Leody on Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Inchpräctice » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:10 pm

All_Arsenal_1886 wrote:Messi is the most inconsistant young player ever, ask any Barca fan.

I bet the Barca fans still had to put up with people saying 'Messi is shit - get rid' when he was starting out. :rolleyes:
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Inchpräctice » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:28 pm

Leody wrote:Inch, I respect your opinion greatly... however, saying we never had time on the ball is a BS excuse.

If that's the case then we need to make space and move better. Simple fact is, we're not that good, we weren't that good today... However you want to look at it the onus is on US to get it done. Simple fact is the players have shown us time and time again they are not capable of doing so. Things need to change. Period.

You can sugar coat any way you want it, but at the end of the day it's our job to show up and get it done. This squad have shown us they can't.

edit: and I along with many other Arsenal supporters am sick of waiting and not seeing any improvement year after year.

I'm not really disagreeing with you here dude.
I was at the game and had a fabulous view and all I saw was Villa all over our players like a rash.
That doesn't mean that we just shrug our shoulders and say 'hey ho they were the better team' but it does mean that singling out individual players on our team or saying things like 'we need a new CB' in this thread are utterly pointless imo.
It wasn't really about the personnel on the pitch and it wasn't about who we could or should buy in January because Villa's attitude and tactics were spot on and ours weren't.

From where I was sitting the off-the-ball movement was terrible and there were countless times when Cesc or Denilson had the ball in the midfield with no-one available to pass to. It was as if no-one wanted the ball.
So ultimately yes we were bad but they were also very good.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Fordy » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:31 pm

Inchpractice wrote:It wasn't really about the personnel on the pitch and it wasn't about who we could or should buy in January because Villa's attitude and tactics were spot on and ours weren't.

So its not the players it the manager?

after all its job to do the tactics so your agreeing with me its all Wengers fault.

Thanks mate i knew you would come round to my way of thinking
Fordy

Postby Inchpräctice » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:35 pm

According to you it's everyone's fault. :rolleyes:
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Cheese » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:38 pm

You can't single out one person to blame. We win as a team and lose as a team.
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2008-09