Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Santi » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:59 pm

BrunelGooner wrote:We are 5th, 6 points behind 4th (could be 3 points behind if we beat Chelsea next week...big IF obviously) and are still in the Europa League qualifying rounds.

How many of us would have taken this when Emery took over?

Serious question.

A lot of Arsenal fans said Emery would have a 'free hit' this season and they didn't have huge expectations for us this season. I think the 22-game unbeaten run deceived a lot of people in terms of how much we'd progressed. Myself included.

Think you might wana re read this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31914

Not much ‘free hit’ in there, granted I only bothered to scan the first page again but I don’t ever recall much of this free hit bollocks.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby BrunelGooner » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:03 pm

Santi wrote:
BrunelGooner wrote:We are 5th, 6 points behind 4th (could be 3 points behind if we beat Chelsea next week...big IF obviously) and are still in the Europa League qualifying rounds.

Serious question.

A lot of Arsenal fans said Emery would have a 'free hit' this season and they didn't have huge expectations for us this season. I think the 22-game unbeaten run deceived a lot of people in terms of how much we'd progressed. Myself included.

Think you might wana re read this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31914

Not much ‘free hit’ in there, granted I only bothered to scan the first page again but I don’t ever recall much of this free hit bollocks.

I wasn't on this forum back then, so can't comment on what people said previously, but a lot of Arsenal fans I know and those on Twitter seemed to agree that his first season will be about him getting to know the players he has and figuring out who he wants to keep and who he wants to get rid of, especially as most of these players aren't players of his choosing.

If anyone seriously expected us to be comfortably in the top 4 in Emery's first season, after the hugely disappointing previous 2 seasons under Wenger, then they weren't be realistic.
BrunelGooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Ach » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:12 pm

Unless he completely f***ked up ie bottom half then I'd say he's doing as well as can be expected

Ffs you don't expect cancer survivers to run a marathon just months later.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:30 pm

Angelito wrote:
Godlop wrote:People blame Unai Emery but the biggest problem for Arsenal is still the same as the past 10 Seasons.

Arsene Wenger and Ivan Gazidis

They left this club in an absolute mess.
Pretty much every big decision in the past 5 years was wrong.

Is Wenger telling him not to play Ozil?

Is Wenger instructing him to sideline Lacazette?

Is Wenger forcing him to play with 3 DMs and 3 CBs in most games?

Is Wenger stopping him from fielding attacking, creative players?

Is Wenger the reason behind Emery's ridiculous tactics?

Is Wenger responsible for our record low xG after 22 games this decade? Is Wenger responsible for an even worse defensive record than last season?

Although, I do agree that it's Gazidis' fault. He's the one whore hired Emery and it's turning out to be a major blunder.

What is a xG ?
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby gooney » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:39 pm

Serious question.

6 points behind 4th after half a season. Continue that trend 12 points behind 4th end of season. We went from expecting to fight for the title, to expecting top 4 to accepting being near 4th. Amazing how we have fallen. Why did we fire wenger? He could have gotten us top 6 until he dies.
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Jedi » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:00 pm

Ach wrote:Unless he completely f***ked up ie bottom half then I'd say he's doing as well as can be expected

Re: What is an acceptable next season?
Ach wrote:80+ points in the league

Manager may have changed. My expectations haven't
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:01 pm

We looked flat today. There was no energy in that performance and I'm wondering if he's lost the dressing room already. We're in a tricky situation. Fans that are usually quite patient have already expressed concerns and I don't know how much time Emery will get if this continues.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby starmandb » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:12 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Nejch wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Exactly and this is the fundamental point you missed when you claimed we want top football and top 4 or whatever it was you said.

No!!

What we want is to be competitive, if we lose but at least we try and look competitive then so be it. When we lost that game against Chelsea I dare say most of us were pleased because we gave it a go, we had chances to win and should have won. We lost but we had reason to be proud of the players.

This is what we want and what Emery is doing at the moment is total foolishness.

You seemed to have missed my fundamental point as well, though. I was saying that we should be sensible and patient about judging Emery's performance and whether or not he is good enough for this club. We have played some very good football this season so we know what we're capable of. What I take issue with is people overreacting and catastrophizing after a couple of bad results. Surely there are some things about Emery that are very worrying but let's just see if these worrying trends continue. If he figures out what he's doing wrong, repents and tries to improve, which is possible, then we should get behind him. If he decides to be arrogant and not budge in certain aspects, then I'll agree we need to move on. It's too early to tell. I'll give him until next season this time of year to start making judgments about his philosophy, character and abilities. Until then I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

I'm not Emery out but I am alarmed at what he has done so far. Yes I was happy with the 22 game unbeaten streak but I was alarmed out our general play. I have seen nothing from Emery to suggest an improvement. Defensively we are worse, out attack is blunt, our football is mostly dire.

This is what the majority of those criticising Emery are worried about. 6 months in and there is nothing we can see as positives. Our best player marginalised and shit football and now lots of losses. The players are capable of better so I cannot blame them. Emery doesn't get a free pass but he gets a bit of leeway, but he needs to start picking the right players and choosing the right tactics, otherwise he will lose whatever leeway he has with fans very quickly

6 defeats in 8 for George graham in his first season in 86/87 won league cup
4 defeats in 5 92/93 won both domestic cups
5 defeats in 6 02/03 won fa cup
4 defeats in 7 97/98 won a league and cup double
6 defeats in 9 17/18 won fa cup
That's betting without seasons where we didn't win anything
6 defeats in 8 in Bertie mee,s first season future double winner
8 defeats in a row terry Neil's first season fa cup winner
4 defeats in 8 in wengers first season multiple trophy winner
starmandb

Postby Ach » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:41 pm

Jedi wrote:
Ach wrote:Unless he completely f***ked up ie bottom half then I'd say he's doing as well as can be expected

Re: What is an acceptable next season?
Ach wrote:80+ points in the league

Manager may have changed. My expectations haven't

I underestimated the state Wenger left us in. Worst manager in the business. Fact no one wants him proves that.

I think it's a free hit for Emery this season unless it goes horrifically wrong which it's nowhere near. Find a formation. Sort tactics. Look at players etc.

Minimum is Europa League place
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:29 am

The people who hired him never intended to give him a “free season” to find his feet. He was expected to hit the ground running. That’s why he’s on a two year deal. He’s not allowed to spend this month that means he effectively has one summer transfer to get it right. Not enough. Id suggest he do the best with the players he has rather than expect he’ll be given time. He’s a coach, not a manager.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Marsbar100 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:49 am

Calmed down after the match, I am not convinced by Emery but he has been thrown into an horrific situation.

We have a wage cap problem, he has been forced to get rid of Ramsey and ozil imo, I agree with getting rid of ozil if we have a wage problem, whilst he is one of our best players he is on far to much money for what he offers and he is preventing us strengthening elsewhere, he is 30, picking up injuries, he has a questionable attitude, he isn't particularly versatile, he has to go it's that simple.

I see ramsey as more of a mistake I think we should have tried to nail him down on 170k but if he had of signed on he might have taken his foot of the pedal, in recent years he did get a bit to comfortable, ramsey and ozil both could do with a new challenge imo.

Essentially he has had to force ozil out and doesn't want to start ramsey as he is off, we are having to take one step backwards to take two step forwards.

Clearly the club want to get rid of older players with less resale value that have got to comfortable here and replace them with a younger hungrier squad that have more resale value.

As a club that is self sustainable this is the way to go, unfortunately we need to be patience this season is a write off.

Next season is where Emery needs to be judged, with guys like Ramsey, welbeck, litschtiener, cech, hopefully ozil and kos of the books plus the new addidas money we should be able to splash the money.

Next season hopefully we would have brought in an extra 4-5 players that suit whatever he wants to implement and then we can judge him properly.

Am I convinced by Emery? No

We don't need to be though, Emery is a disposable yes man, he is here to take bullets during the transition phase, he is doing a job that the likes of a Conte or allgeri wouldn't be willing to do now.

Of course he will get a chance to prove he is the man, which is only fair considering the mess he inherited, however at worst he is serving a purpose, the next manager will not have to deal with the mess he has.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby gooney » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:55 am

We have to be honest with each other. Are we a big club? Because no one ever says you should have a free season at a big club. manager or player......if we gonna give manager free season. Why not give every player in their first season. Meaning no player no matter how they perform should be sold after first free season. This is football at the highest level....no such thing as free season. He is expected to get CL football and he has 2 ways to get it. If he fails he will be under huge pressure start of next season. For me its a sackable offense if he doesnt get CL. We dont owe him anything to give him more time
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby swipe right » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:05 am

If he doesn’t get top four the club will not invest in him next summer. He better get his head down and not start alienating creative players. Right now he can’t buy a goal to save his life. Better make peace with Ozil. This idea that Ozil is some mug is ridiculous.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Marsbar100 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:07 am

gooney wrote:We have to be honest with each other. Are we a big club? Because no one ever says you should have a free season at a big club. manager or player......if we gonna give manager free season. Why not give every player in their first season. Meaning no player no matter how they perform should be sold after first free season. This is football at the highest level....no such thing as free season. He is expected to get CL football and he has 2 ways to get it. If he fails he will be under huge pressure start of next season. For me its a sackable offense if he doesnt get CL. We dont owe him anything to give him more time

Financially we aren't a big club, if we was city we would have got rid of 10 players in the summer and purchased 10 players.

Does that mean we do a Wenger and hold up the white flag and say we can't win the pl or cl? Of course not.

We have a structure at the club in place, there is proper people to do recruitment, sort out contracts, do commercial deals, modern doctors, etc....

Things we didn't have under Wenger, we are changing its not going to happen overnight and it's not going to be easy to beat the sugar daddy's but we can certainly do a hell of a lot better than what we did with the surrending french man.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100

Postby swipe right » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:27 am

Marsbar100 wrote:
gooney wrote:We have to be honest with each other. Are we a big club? Because no one ever says you should have a free season at a big club. manager or player......if we gonna give manager free season. Why not give every player in their first season. Meaning no player no matter how they perform should be sold after first free season. This is football at the highest level....no such thing as free season. He is expected to get CL football and he has 2 ways to get it. If he fails he will be under huge pressure start of next season. For me its a sackable offense if he doesnt get CL. We dont owe him anything to give him more time

Financially we aren't a big club, if we was city we would have got rid of 10 players in the summer and purchased 10 players.

Does that mean we do a Wenger and hold up the white flag and say we can't win the pl or cl? Of course not.

We have a structure at the club in place, there is proper people to do recruitment, sort out contracts, do commercial deals, modern doctors, etc....

Things we didn't have under Wenger, we are changing its not going to happen overnight and it's not going to be easy to beat the sugar daddy's but we can certainly do a hell of a lot better than what we did with the surrending french man.

Just because we have people doesn’t mean they’re very good. And for what it’s worth we’ve bought 8 new players in the last 12 months.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football