Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby CynicalGooner » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:19 pm

theHotHead wrote:
CynicalGooner wrote:Man that is depressing but not altogether surprising. I doubt the club is completely broke, but we don't have enough to buy the players we need. We have a huge wage bill and spent in the summer with limited revenue. Sucks to be us

We had over £200m in cash reserves, we are not broke!

Had, 3 years ago. That was reduced to £140m two years ago. It's probably all gone now. When your spending outpaces your revenue long term, you end up eating into your savings if you're lucky enough to have any. Trust me, I know
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Sims » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:28 pm

our record cash in the bank was made meaningless as we didnt spend it on assets before the huge tv deal came in
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby EliteKiller » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:21 pm

Sims wrote:our record cash in the bank was made meaningless as we didnt spend it on assets before the huge tv deal came in

This, this and this .... it's like having 200m and finding a garage full of classic cars just when the World is about to get into the classic car market .... instead of buying as many great cars as we could afford, knowing we could keep our favourites and double our money on the rest, we stayed outside and talked about how good they looked through the windows.

Meanwhile other teams snapped up all the best ones, and even the dented ones, and went from average to good whilst trousering the profits at the same time ... now the World is buying (the TV Deal) and our 200m is just small beans, prices have already doubled and trebled, all the value is gone.

Emery is now playing catch-up with the top five, he's having to do that with the weakest squad and quite possibly the least money, what chance has he got?
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:47 pm

Angelito wrote:
gooney wrote:
Sims wrote:

This is why I was desperate for wenger to go and used to wish the team lose. Just to arrive to this place. Where the hiding behind wenger and together lying to the fans. Now the truth is coming out. I hope the media start to ask questions

I agree. Wenger had to go. Sure, he'd lost the plot in his final 3-4 seasons at Arsenal, but more importantly, Wenger's demigod status here was enabling the board to do whatever they wished. There is nowhere to hide now.

A-fkin-men.

The first thing we can all agree on in weeks.

Wenger would of just said "We can't get anyone in January" or "We will only spend money on a special player if he becomes available" ........... which of course despite other teams spending bank on star transfers, no one ever became available to us for some strange reason.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Mess » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:48 am

So in light of all of this, is it possible that perhaps, the fans unrest is in part what kept the management somehow managing to sign players at fairly high prices (By Arsenal standards) like Ozil, Sanchez, Mustafi, Xhaka, Aubameyang and Lacazette? It feels like they always find some money when things get heated, when the stadium empty out, boos rings, etc. It's very toxic indeed and I would never wish Emery's job to become an ordeal because of external factors but you know, it almost feel like the unrest needs to start again. That's the only way this idiotic ownership seems at least try. What a mess...
Mess
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby EliteKiller » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:45 am

Mess wrote:So in light of all of this, is it possible that perhaps, the fans unrest is in part what kept the management somehow managing to sign players at fairly high prices (By Arsenal standards) like Ozil, Sanchez, Mustafi, Xhaka, Aubameyang and Lacazette? It feels like they always find some money when things get heated, when the stadium empty out, boos rings, etc. It's very toxic indeed and I would never wish Emery's job to become an ordeal because of external factors but you know, it almost feel like the unrest needs to start again. That's the only way this idiotic ownership seems at least try. What a mess...

It's not about the transfer budget, the EPL's version of FFP has finally started to work, teams can only spend a capped amount of money on wages. The EPL rules are incredibly complicated but basically you can only increase your wages by a set amount every year unless you increase your commercial revenue. That gives all the big clubs a huge advantage as they already have the highest salary spends, it's fundamentally why 60,000 capacity stadiums, with high end corporate, and massive merchandising are now so vital. 100% of revenue increased in commercial sectors can be spent on additional wages ...

Our problem is we have far, far, far to many average players on massive salaries and a commercial income that's flat or even going down as we lost our 20 year guaranteed income from the CL. Why do you think we're only spending money on the corporate facilities at the Emirates? Why do you think Spuds have got more corporate and commercial bells and whistles at their new ground than feckin' Disneyland?

This is our miss-management of the last ten years coming home to roost, our complete refusal to change course when all around had made a ninety degree turn ... our insane belief in the senile rantings of a hopelessly out of touch leader 'soon players will all leave at the end of contracts for free' only at one club you nut-job.

Today even if Kroenke put in 500m (which he officially can't and anyway he won't) it would still need our wages to be cut before we could bring in any more players. Clubs knew this rule was coming years ago, everyone did, here's the gist of the rules from the media in 2016

The Premier League are continuing their version of salary caps for the next three seasons but the impact on ever-escalating payments to the top players in the world’s richest league will be minimal.

The 20 clubs agreed at a summit this week to extend ‘short-term cost control’ over their player wage bills, but this only relates to centralised TV rights money, so teams are still able to pay their stars more from other funding.

The TV money restrictions from next season will only apply to clubs with player wage bills in excess of £67m (rising by £7m for each of the following two seasons), which is likely to be all the teams apart from those promoted.

This mild regulation prevents clubs increasing wage bills by more than £7m from the previous year. Or if it suits them better, they must demonstrate their aggregate player wage bill hasn’t increased by more than £19m from a 2012-13 base season. This £19m also rises by £7m for each of the following two seasons.

So how did this impact Man Utd in 2016? Pretty much not at all they could spend an extra 66m on wages ....

The irrelevance of these rules to the top teams is demonstrated by Manchester United’s commercial revenue increase of £66.1m in the last financial year, that entire increase is all allowed to go on player wages if they so wish.

How did it impact Arsenal? Well our commercial growth lags behind all of our major rivals, and that was before '17-18 and this season, which let's be honest have hardly been epic. What that means is whilst our rivals can increase salaries significantly, we are stuck with just an extra 7m wages budget playing one-in-one out ... we have been pretty screwed for the last two years

It's why Emery has to sacrifice Ramsey we simply can't afford the wages, it's why Ozil is now a problem he's just to expensive ...

It's why the club announced the following last year, because the extra money this will bring can go straight into salaries:

Next May we will begin work on adding approximately 780 extra seats to Club Level to help bring our capacity back in line with our original figure from 2006. It will involve adding an extra row to the front of Club Level and will take our capacity to just over 60,600.

Construction will be completed in two stages during the summers of 2018 and 2019. The club will be in contact with all club level members to inform them if and how this will affect them.

Alongside this work, we plan to upgrade and refurbish additional areas of Club Level over the next two years. The first upgrade will be to Dial Square in the summer of 2018, which will see the area transformed to celebrate the club’s original name of Dial Square Football Club.

Worryingly the club that will see the biggest increase in commercial revenues, and thus will be able to spend the most on new players, is that lot down the road. Luckily Levy is so tight he won't do it, at least that's what we must hope.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:06 am

CynicalGooner wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
CynicalGooner wrote:Man that is depressing but not altogether surprising. I doubt the club is completely broke, but we don't have enough to buy the players we need. We have a huge wage bill and spent in the summer with limited revenue. Sucks to be us

We had over £200m in cash reserves, we are not broke!

Had, 3 years ago. That was reduced to £140m two years ago. It's probably all gone now. When your spending outpaces your revenue long term, you end up eating into your savings if you're lucky enough to have any. Trust me, I know

How has our spending outpaced our revenue? More money in gate receipts, more money in sponsorship, more money in TV deals. How are clubs with less of all of the above able to spend as much as us and sometimes more - and they have NEVER - even qualified for the CL?!!!
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:08 am

Sims wrote:our record cash in the bank was made meaningless as we didnt spend it on assets before the huge tv deal came in

So either we spent it (I don't see how) or we didn't. If we didn't then it should be available - considering we are being told we dont have any money, even if we have £100m, its better than zilch.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:12 am

Didn't we just announce a new Adidas kit sponsorship deal worth £60m a year?

I'll judge in the summer. No idea what's going on with our finances but I can't understand why so many teams are spending so much since the new TV deals but we're slowing down.

Part of me thinks Emery was hired on the basis that he can delivery results with the current group of players and maybe they're seeing that through. But this is worrying.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:18 am

Great post EK but I refuse to believe some of that!!

If clubs with far less revenue than us are spending what we are spending it makes no sense, their wage bill may be half of ours but our revenue is double theirs!!

Clubs like West Ham and Everton have been spending like mad for the past few years and Fulham went nuts this season.

And Ramsey was offered a contract worth £170k or so, if Arsenal had a problem with his wages why would they have offered him that contract ?
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby EliteKiller » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:04 am

theHotHead wrote:Great post EK but I refuse to believe some of that!!

If clubs with far less revenue than us are spending what we are spending it makes no sense, their wage bill may be half of ours but our revenue is double theirs!!

Clubs like West Ham and Everton have been spending like mad for the past few years and Fulham went nuts this season.

And Ramsey was offered a contract worth £170k or so, if Arsenal had a problem with his wages why would they have offered him that contract ?

It is very complicated, in simple terms you can only increase your wages by 7m a year unless you increase your commercial revenue. This is a piece done for the EPL explaining it back in 2016 - interesting to note we were already 19m the wrong side of the budget even back then ...

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/late ... -ffp-rules

This is a more recent piece by a Crystal Palace fanzine, bit easier to follow

https://fypfanzine.uk/analysis/6888-fin ... e-about-it

The wages to income ration doesn't matter, the EPL drew a line in the sand at the end of 2012/13 season, that was the salary number every club's future yearly wages would be based upon. Where clubs can spend more is when they have increased their commercial income (excluding TV) or if they have been promoted. There is no limit to the amount you can spend from increased commercial revenue, it's why City have mega new sponsorship deals, Utd get 20m for a reserve kit, and new and refurbished stadiums are all the rage.

Unfortunately for us, we'd already maxed out all our stadium revenues and we were tied into sponsorship deals until very recently.

West Ham and Everton have both seen large increases in commercial revenue, West Ham via the LS and Everton via a 7th placed finish with record gate receipts, and a record commercial income. Fulham were promoted so the rules didn't apply.

As for Ramsey, allegedly we did offer 170k then we realised we couldn't afford it and withdrew the offer, that's how tight we are to the maximum wages spend.

We're victims of our own success, being an incredibly well run club with a 60,000 stadium and eye-watering ticket prices BEFORE the EPL rules kicked in meant unlike our rivals we had little room for commercial revenue growth. Combine that with a senile old fool stacking the wages bill with highly paid walking wounded and highly paid very average players and it became the perfect storm.

I'm not sure about this but I believe the EPL have yet to vote on the wages rules for 2019/20 ... maybe the brakes will come off?
Last edited by EliteKiller on Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Rockape » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:05 am

Yeah great post EK.....certainly makes interesting reading. If it’s true you couldn’t really make up the fact that we agreed the £350k pw for Ozil. Dear oh dear....what a mess!
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Sims » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:47 am

I think that wages rule was/is getting scrapped this year
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:00 am

Again, we just signed a new Adidas deal which kicks in next season. There has to be money for Emery to spend this summer.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:22 am

Rockape wrote:Yeah great post EK.....certainly makes interesting reading. If it’s true you couldn’t really make up the fact that we agreed the £350k pw for Ozil. Dear oh dear....what a mess!

Well this is it, I mean Ozil's wages make absolutely no freekin sense whatsoever. That said, Ozil's contract came at a time the club were in massive turmoil.

But then you had the snake saying the reins are off and we could spend money. The last Financial statement from the club I can find (28th Feb 2018) shows we lost £25m by not being in the Champions League and that we had £140m in cash reserves. The statement was the November 2017 accounts.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football