Checkatrade Trophy

Post any news and talk about Arsenal's next generation.

Re: Checkatrade Trophy

Postby Royal Gooner » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:40 pm

Phil71 wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:
Phil71 wrote:So as we finished 2nd in our group, we're in the round of 32, and have been drawn to play Portsmouth away.

Kick off tomorrow evening at 7:45. A single knockout game decided on the night.

Tough test.

I'll be there. Pompey have had just over 48 hours to prepare while our youth have had a week off so I can see us winning this comfortably like we did up at Coventry, especially if we play Eddie and ESR.

Do you live on the south coast then RG?

I'm in Kent so drive down and hotel overnight.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Phil71 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:46 pm

Royal Gooner wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:
Phil71 wrote:So as we finished 2nd in our group, we're in the round of 32, and have been drawn to play Portsmouth away.

Tough test.

I'll be there. Pompey have had just over 48 hours to prepare while our youth have had a week off so I can see us winning this comfortably like we did up at Coventry, especially if we play Eddie and ESR.

Oh right. Any particular reason why you have a keen interest in the Academy team?
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Royal Gooner » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:51 pm

Phil71 wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:

Tough test.

Oh right. Any particular reason why you have a keen interest in the Academy team?

They're still an Arsenal team plus they are playing top L1+2 clubs in a senior competition with a Wembley final on offer. Not to mention gives a silver like me a chance to go and visit these grounds that we don't see often and indeed see the Arsenal play away.

I am just disappointed that Arsenal aren't promoting it, it was a job to do the digging and get the ticketing information myself because the club wasn't providing it. We got 183 Gooners at Coventry (including a certain Tony Adams!) so if the club promoted it, the youngsters would get even more support that could only help them.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Phil71 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:08 pm

Royal Gooner wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:

Tough test.

They're still an Arsenal team plus they are playing top L1+2 clubs in a senior competition with a Wembley final on offer. Not to mention gives a silver like me a chance to go and visit these grounds that we don't see often and indeed see the Arsenal play away.

I am just disappointed that Arsenal aren't promoting it, it was a job to do the digging and get the ticketing information myself because the club wasn't providing it. We got 183 Gooners at Coventry (including a certain Tony Adams!) so if the club promoted it, the youngsters would get even more support that could only help them.

Fair play to you.

Back in the 80s I’d go and watch every game I could, including the reserves. Talking of Adams, I saw his first game back in the reserves after he got out of prison. Went upstairs in the east stand and sat next to Rory McGrath. Nice fella. Proper gooner.

I think this is a great competition for our young lads to be in.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby starmandb » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:46 pm

Commentary of Portsmouth v Arsenal on talksport 2
Tues 4th Dec 7-45 pm
Koscielny in line to play a part
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Phil71 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:42 pm

0-1 down at half time.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Phil71 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:41 pm

Agh!

Lost 2-1.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Royal Gooner » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:58 pm

If we had our young stars of ESR, Eddie, Willock playing then we'd have won this. Apart from Saka's goal there wasn't much to shout about.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Previous

Return to The Arsenal Academy