NFL Thread

Talk about all the other sports that interest you here.

Re: NFL Thread

Postby StLGooner » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:08 pm

Hall of Famer in my opinion. Had the pleasure of having him on my fantasy team for like 5 separate years too. Thanks Drew!! :)
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby LMAO » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:38 am

Breesus will be an undisputed first ballot HOFer.

Even without my team bias, he's the BOAT QB. If he had the defenses Brady and Manning got to enjoy, then he would've had a few more rings imo

Also, sucks what's happened with the Rams. Almost as soon as they move back to LA, they become one of, if not the, best team in the NFL (kinda like the Browns moving to Baltimore and becoming the Ravens). Idk if things would've played out the same if they stayed in St. Louis, but it's still really shitty. Sorry bro :(
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:12 am

Wtf is a BOAT?
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby UFGN » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:15 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Wtf is a BOAT?

He is a QB assigned to work as an American Football coach on a cruise ship
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby StLGooner » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:52 am

LMAO wrote:Breesus will be an undisputed first ballot HOFer.

Even without my team bias, he's the BOAT QB. If he had the defenses Brady and Manning got to enjoy, then he would've had a few more rings imo

Also, sucks what's happened with the Rams. Almost as soon as they move back to LA, they become one of, if not the, best team in the NFL (kinda like the Browns moving to Baltimore and becoming the Ravens). Idk if things would've played out the same if they stayed in St. Louis, but it's still really shitty. Sorry bro :(

Yeah, yeah, yeah don't f**king remind me! :crybaby:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Santi » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:28 pm

Was trying to work out last night where I'd put him, every time I thought I'd decided I thought of someone new.

Think he's top 5 all time, just on pure records if nothing else, needs at least 1 more ring to be truly up there.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:45 pm

Santi wrote:

Was trying to work out last night where I'd put him, every time I thought I'd decided I thought of someone new.

Think he's top 5 all time, just on pure records if nothing else, needs at least 1 more ring to be truly up there.

I never liked that thought that if you don't have rings/championships (or enough of them) that somehow you weren't one of the greats. It's a team sport, I don't think it's fair to judge how good a player is based off of what he did or didn't win. But everyone does it, even the so called expert pundits, and I just think it's wrong for team sports. Now if we're talking golf or tennis, then yea. But so many factors come into play as to why a certain player didn't win, it doesn't mean they aren't deserving of being called one of the best. Unfortunately too many people judge them by what they win instead of actually watching their skills.

For example, Trent Dilfer won a superbowl and Dan Marino didn't, but you'd be an idiot if you said Trent Dilfer was better than Marino. Marino imo should be put up there with one of the greats, but since he didn't win a superbowl then many will never put him in that discussion.

Not having a go at your personally, but so many people think this way, and I just don't agree with it.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Santi » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:52 pm

Hey, I get your point and to an extent I agree but I'd argue that the very very best are capable of dragging teams all the way. Now it is slightly unfair to expect a QB to drag a sack of shit to a superbowl but Brees hasn't exactly played for the Browns for 15 years and only has 1 ring.

If you were to pick a QB for a clutch playoff match who would you pick, Brady, Manning, Favre, Brees, Marino, Elway, Rodgers or someone else? That's how I think of it more than the fact he hasn't won multiple rings, I just take that as a symptom.

Also, the onus is on him to put himself in a team capable of winning a SB, he's good enough to have his pick of teams.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:24 pm

I hear ya. But specifically in football, it's so hard to go by that. Brees could have done everything he could do, and drove his offense down the field and scored every time. But if his defense doesn't stop them every time, then they don't win. So by no fault of is own, he doesn't win a championship. He couldn't have dragged his team all the way cause he doesn't play defense. So see what I mean?

People will always think Brady was a better QB cause of all the rings he has. But I personally think Manning was better, and Favre, but it won't go down in history like that. Brady was just fortunate to have great teams and great coaches, not that he still isn't good, but because of what he won he'll always be labeled as better and that isn't right imo.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:35 pm

Rings aside, Brady was always more clutch than Manning.

Also still trying to figure out what a BOAT is?
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Ach » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:37 pm

B and G are close on keyboards

Honest mistake
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby LMAO » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:25 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Wtf is a BOAT?

Best of all time. Similar, but different criteria, to GOAT.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby LMAO » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:40 pm

Santi wrote:Hey, I get your point and to an extent I agree but I'd argue that the very very best are capable of dragging teams all the way. Now it is slightly unfair to expect a QB to drag a sack of shit to a superbowl but Brees hasn't exactly played for the Browns for 15 years and only has 1 ring.

If you were to pick a QB for a clutch playoff match who would you pick, Brady, Manning, Favre, Brees, Marino, Elway, Rodgers or someone else? That's how I think of it more than the fact he hasn't won multiple rings, I just take that as a symptom.

Also, the onus is on him to put himself in a team capable of winning a SB, he's good enough to have his pick of teams.

Fair, but Breesus dragged some of the literally worst defenses of all time to 7-9 and 8-8 records. Without him, we would've been hard pressed to have finished any better than 3-13. He can only do so much, having to score almost every drive to give the Saints a chance.

The times he has had average defenses, he's made it to at least the second weekend of the playoffs (2006, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2017, and 2018 tbd), and he should've been to at least two more Super Bowls (2011, 2017) had it not been for the defense imploding in spectacular fashion on the opponent's final drive.

I wouldn't say Brees is the GOAT (that's Brady imo with Montana a close second), but all things considered, what he and Rodgers have had to work with, the latter two are the best QBs to ever play imo. Brees and Rodgers have made countless what should've been 4-12 at best teams into SB contenders or at least respectable teams that have a chance to win on any given Sunday.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Santi » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:07 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Rings aside, Brady was always more clutch than Manning.

Think he's more clutch than any sportsman ever. Likes of Lebron, Fed and Tiger run him close but this is what makes him the best for me, he has his own share of average games but he could go 3 quarters complete dogshit in the SB then pull out the win with 250+ yards in Q4.

Brees is quality but he hasn't had near as many Brady moments, not helped by his lesser team not getting into those positions but still.

Anyway, both quality, no arguments from me who you wana call the best, I'm obviously gonna think TB12 regardless and hope he plays til he's 60.

f***ing quality game last night btw, missed the second half (3/4am) but highlights were enough. Need to stay switched on when we have a decent lead though, almost let the Colts back in last week and then the same last night with KC.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Losmeister » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:24 am

StLGooner wrote:I hear ya. But specifically in football, it's so hard to go by that. Brees could have done everything he could do, and drove his offense down the field and scored every time. But if his defense doesn't stop them every time, then they don't win. So by no fault of is own, he doesn't win a championship. He couldn't have dragged his team all the way cause he doesn't play defense. So see what I mean?

People will always think Brady was a better QB cause of all the rings he has. But I personally think Manning was better, and Favre, but it won't go down in history like that. Brady was just fortunate to have great teams and great coaches, not that he still isn't good, but because of what he won he'll always be labeled as better and that isn't right imo.

brady gets to say he "won" a SB where the other team blew a 28-3 lead, and one where his O scored a total of 13 pts.... whataguy!
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports