Granit Xhaka

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Granit Xhaka (34)

Postby Goonerz » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:47 pm

Against poor teams that sit back he shines like any other player. Since he has been here it’s the same old. Teams that sit back, give him space and lots of time on the ball he looks like Cesc with his long range passes.

When Newcastle where pressing us with energy in the first half he was the same old. But in the second half where Newcastle did absolutely nothing apart from just wandering about and jogging about aimlessly for 46 minutes he looked good.

Same old predictable performance from him against poor teams that afford us time and space on the ball.

I want to see him play like this against the Top 5 teams then I will start praising him.
This also goes to all our squad.
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:05 pm

I like xhaka :hiding:
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby ESR10 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:11 pm

His flaws are much more than the advantages he brings with him in the moment.
I would give him 6 further months with Emery and if he didn't get better under pressure, we should cur our losses and sell, even if we only got 15-20m for him. His flaws are very critical to our game.
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby thebigbangtheo » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:09 pm

Mess wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:That game against England was a perfect illustration of the enigma that is Granit Xhaka and finally confirmed that those of us who saw him play some great football for Monchengladbach hadn't just imagined it.

Especially in the first half he was easily the best midfield player on the pitch in my opinion. As has been recognised by the few, he is not a defensive midfielder per se just because he operates from that area of the park but more of a quarter back type. With other midfielder's to carry the bulk of the defensive responsibility along with having defenders worthy of the name behind him, he had the time and space to dictate the play like a midfield general and pinged some excellent balls forward. For those old enough to remember, he reminded me very much of Butch Wilkins, particularly when he was at AC Milan and Rangers.

Unfortunately for the Swiss, that we have now had a glimpse of the potential that is the Guendouzi -Torreira axis for the base of our midfield, not many will see any logic in disrupting that for the sake of shoehorning Xhaka in for one of them instead just so we can once again see some passes that rekindle fond memories of Santi Cazorla.

If anything I hope that performance acts as a catalyst in ending the slump in form and confidence he's endured so that he can at least be a viable option again and quieten down some of the vitriol he receives.

I didn't watch that game. I'm curious to know: What did he do that was SO MUCH better than when he plays for Arsenal?

Put simply, he was effective.

I'm not for one moment suggesting that he suddenly looked like a Luca Modric or David Silva beating 2 or 3 players and carrying the ball 30-40 metres, or even that he played an absolute blinder, just that he looked like a proper midfielder who knew what his job was, did it reasonably well and didn't look like someone had tied his boot laces together or treat the ball like he'd received it from some Russian guy living in Salisbury.

I can't really elaborate much more without effectively repeating what I said in my initial post.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Dejan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:14 pm

Tony_Adams wrote:I like xhaka :hiding:
Uve always had a thing for shit players

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:26 pm

Dejan wrote:
Tony_Adams wrote:I like xhaka :hiding:
Uve always had a thing for shit players

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
:grin:

How good would we be with Samba and Fellaini in the squad though?
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:40 pm

Better yesterday but as mentioned above, always been fine against shit teams with space in midfield. Helps that he scored.

Still wank though, too one footed and always shits himself. Even against Newcastle he went backwards too much for my liking, again because he's not confident using his right foot. Can't wait til Torreira is fully fit and we can try Guendouzi-Torreira midfield.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:16 pm

Lets not forget, international football is slower than the Premier League.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Sims » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:27 pm

just dont think guendouzi - torreira will work, both very busy players and have a lot of similar traits. would be a waste if we tried to utilise lucas as the guy to pass through the lines

every midfield option with torreira should be explored tho, well with the exception of elneny i guess
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Ach » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:30 pm

Torreira passing through the lines got us our goals as highlights on MOTD by Wrighty
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:45 pm

needs busquets level performances and consistency to act as the DM and kick off all our attacks at the same time

he's only 22 and he has the potential to but far too early and inexperienced in the league to burden him that much imo

hopefully by the start of next season we have an excellent midfielder alongside lucas, with guendouzi coming in the rotation
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby SuperJackyWilshere » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:54 pm

Sims wrote:needs busquets level performances and consistency to act as the DM and kick off all our attacks at the same time

he's only 22 and he has the potential to but far too early and inexperienced in the league to burden him that much imo

hopefully by the start of next season we have an excellent midfielder alongside lucas, with guendouzi coming in the rotation

Yep.

Ship Ramsey out. Get in a winger and we'll be sorted.
SuperJackyWilshere
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby LegendaryKeown » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:00 pm

Sims back on the Xhaka train?
When you give a voice to stupid people, it makes them more stupid and not more intelligent
LegendaryKeown
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Sims » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:03 pm

LegendaryKeown wrote:Sims back on the Xhaka train?

nah unless he turns it round we need a new midfielder alongside torreira next season

if had either a right foot or a turn of pace he'd be fine in the prem but he has neither

i do think xhaka - torreira is our best and most functional midfield two we can play in our 4231 though
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Ach » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:27 pm

Sims wrote:needs busquets level performances and consistency to act as the DM and kick off all our attacks at the same time

No thanks
Ach
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to World Football