Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery confirmed as Arsenal manager

Postby rewb1 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:04 pm

Angelito wrote:Ramsey and Xhaka's involvement is already bothering me.

I just hope Emery isn't dumb enough to play Ramsey as a CAM/SS over Ozil. Wenger tried that and it failed miserably.

Just as Wenger lost the plot by remaining loyal to mediocre talents, Emery might succumb to the same if he isn't careful. It's far too early to judge him. And I'm not. He has a free season pass from me. But if he continues with this Ramsey/Xhaka madness... Part of me nearly threw up when I saw the line-up, with Ramsey as CAM/SS. And the other part did throw up after seeing Ramsey play as a false nine.

Intolerable.

well the good thing is he actually did sub them off.
rewb1
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Pudpop » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:13 pm

The 53rd minute sub should already point out the difference between Arsene and Unai.

The 19 year old kid staying on instead of one the 5 captains should drive that point home.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby alexafc12 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:18 pm

Disappointed by his first game. Thought he took the easy option with his line up and gave no real thought to the opposition. However I did like the fact he tried to change things with an early sub.

Going forward I think our aim has to be for top four. However it’s plain for everyone to see were lacking in so many departments. Crying out for some big investment. Kroenke needs to go.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Santi » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:36 pm

Be interested to see who gets dropped against Chelsea, then we'll really know what he's about. Bellerin will unfortunately stay because Monreal won't be fit enough.

As long as players are accountable for poor performances, we should see a marked improvement on the last few years. We're always going to lose games and top 4 will still be tough but we have a chance to get there. United and Spurs aren't special, Chelsea also have a new manager.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Mike Dean » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:42 pm

So supposedly Emery impressed Arsenal during his interview by being knowledgeable about our players.

And then he starts off with a dreadful lineup his first game.

Mike Dean
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby UFGN » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:42 pm

This five captains thing is a non issue

He simply wants to create a small team of senior players who will by default boss the training pitch and help with managing young players. It's a good idea and not exactly new
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Jack The Ripper » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:13 am

Why is he picking Xhaxa?. I thought once Wenger was gone then that would finally be the end of Xhaxa, but oh no.
Jack The Ripper
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Ach » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:15 am

Emery probably thought he'd see how bad he is first hand hoping to be proven wrong

He wasnt
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:20 am

Despite the result, the line-up, the 'same result different day' there was a lot to be encouraged about .....

Emery is prepared to try something new, he's willing to give youth a chance, he will make changes when thinks aren't working, he doesn't blame "enter excuse here" when we lose ....

Terrible result, pretty average performance by the players ... but the manager did OK ....

We MUST give him a chance, creating a poisonous atmosphere with our "ATV let's all moan and whinge" fan section, will be a disaster .....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:12 am

Jack The Ripper wrote:Why is he picking Xhaxa?. I thought once Wenger was gone then that would finally be the end of Xhaxa, but oh no.

Tbf he did hook as soon as.

As said earlier .......... I want to see who he starts against Chelsea.

If he wants to prove his nous to the fans I don't want to see Xhaka and I don't want see Ozil out wide, Ozil can't defend and wing play is strong in the prem, Wenger never learned this, I was encouraged to see Unai switch him centrally at half time because this weakness and liability at defending the flanks was there for all to see.

It may of actually done us a favor, City bring all our flaws to the front in bright colours, a lesser team and we could of covered up these flaws and carried on not fixing it.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsene Nose » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:22 am

We finished sixth and some thirty odd points behind City last season. Yet we shart this season against them with only two new signings one of whom is a 19 year old kid and the other a back up CB. Seriously, what the hell is wrong with Arsenal? Not blaming Emery but don’t know where else to post this.
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby ag6789 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:52 am

Going to be a long season. Think Ozil, Xhaka, Ramsey can lead us to another 6th finish if not worse. Work rate wise, you can't expect much from thrm.,and at their age, you can't teach them new tricks. A bleak future awaits!
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Pudpop » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:05 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
Jack The Ripper wrote:Why is he picking Xhaxa?. I thought once Wenger was gone then that would finally be the end of Xhaxa, but oh no.

Tbf he did hook as soon as.

As said earlier .......... I want to see who he starts against Chelsea.

If he wants to prove his nous to the fans I don't want to see Xhaka and I don't want see Ozil out wide, Ozil can't defend and wing play is strong in the prem, Wenger never learned this, I was encouraged to see Unai switch him centrally at half time because this weakness and liability at defending the flanks was there for all to see.

It may of actually done us a favor, City bring all our flaws to the front in bright colours, a lesser team and we could of covered up these flaws and carried on not fixing it.
Reminds me of how our win against Conte's Chelsea exposed all their flaws before they went on to romp to the title
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Angelito » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:19 am

We haven't finished in the top-4 since we've signed him. There is a reason.

Wenger failed because of misplaced trust. Xhaka isn't good enough for a side with top-4 aspirations.

I can't say I'm not pissed off. If we're going to waste another season trying to make Xhaka work or trying to get Ramsey back to his 13/14 form, we might as well write this season off.

Wenger did everything in his power to get Ramsey playing like he did in 13/14 again. He failed. Wenger continuously played Xhaka in every game despite Xhaka's physical and psychological limitations. It cost us eventually.

Yesterday, it felt like watching us in a big game during the Cesc era. It used to be that easy to beat us then. By a big team in the Prem.

Emery's first game, so he gets a pass. As long as Emery doesn't persist with Xhaka and Ramsey, he has all the support from my side. I can't say that I don't fear the exact thing happening - as Xhaka and Ramsey are our two captains.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Luzh 22 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:42 am

Unfortunately, Arsenal can't just wipe the floor clean with a whole new starting 11. It just isn't going to happen.

The club has taken steps to recruit in areas we were seriously lacking in. There are still a couple of positions that need filling. Once they are done, then the work on overhauling the squad can begin.

It's going to take two seasons imo. That's when we'll see a squad Unai is happy with.
"O Striker, Striker, why are you Striker?" - Arsene Nose 12/07/16
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football