£2 spin limit on betting shop gambling machines

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

£2 spin limit on betting shop gambling machines

Postby Phil71 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:52 pm

The government have announced this today.

I pop into the betting shop on Saturdays to put on the Irish lottery, Tote Scoop 6, and maybe do a little greyhound trixie while I’m in there. I see people pumping money into those machines. One week I saw a bloke who had £16k credit in one! Another fella told me that bloke had lost £20k in them the day before.

Apparently thousands of people every year are being ruined by these machines. Good move by the government I think.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Re: £2 spin limit on betting shop gambling machines

Postby Ach » Thu May 17, 2018 8:56 pm

I never bet

House always wins
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Thu May 17, 2018 9:45 pm

It's an excellent decision.

I found myself quite hooked on these a few years ago and lost quite a lot of money. Luckily I realised what was happening and I was able to snap out of it before any serious damage was done.

It's right what is said about those machines. They are highly addictive. There's a big difference between them and other types of gambling because of how regularly you can bet. Every 20 seconds you can have another bet, it's like a drug.

Compare that with what I would call safe and healthy gambling like a football accumulator that is one bet and lasts all weekend.

This will cost bookies branches and a lot of money. Good. They're not positive places and there are so many more on the high street than we need or want.

It will cost some jobs, but it's not like it'll be thousands of jobs in one area, the affected people will be evenly spread over the country and should be able to get similar or better jobs elsewhere.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Phil71 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:16 pm

UFGN wrote:It's an excellent decision.

I found myself quite hooked on these a few years ago and lost quite a lot of money. Luckily I realised what was happening and I was able to snap out of it before any serious damage was done.

It's right what is said about those machines. They are highly addictive. There's a big difference between them and other types of gambling because of how regularly you can bet. Every 20 seconds you can have another bet, it's like a drug.

Compare that with what I would call safe and healthy gambling like a football accumulator that is one bet and lasts all weekend.

This will cost bookies branches and a lot of money. Good. They're not positive places and there are so many more on the high street than we need or want.

It will cost some jobs, but it's not like it'll be thousands of jobs in one area, the affected people will be evenly spread over the country and should be able to get similar or better jobs elsewhere.

Glad you got off it.

My local Williiam Hill has five of these machines. When I go in there, most of them are occupied, and there's only one or two people doing other things like dogs or horses.

I've been going in betting shops for 35 years or more. The culture in them has completely changed as a result of these machines. And online betting I suppose. I do my footie bet online as you get better odds, and the chance to cash out.

I reckon my local shop would close. It'd be a shame, but I'd rather that than see these machines continue unchecked.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby UFGN » Fri May 18, 2018 1:21 pm

Phil71 wrote:

Glad you got off it.

My local Williiam Hill has five of these machines. When I go in there, most of them are occupied, and there's only one or two people doing other things like dogs or horses.

I've been going in betting shops for 35 years or more. The culture in them has completely changed as a result of these machines. And online betting I suppose. I do my footie bet online as you get better odds, and the chance to cash out.

I reckon my local shop would close. It'd be a shame, but I'd rather that than see these machines continue unchecked.

If you remember how bookies were before FOBTs then you'll know just how many more of them there are now. It's not unusual to have 8-10 in one town centre, especially in poor areas. This will redress the balance back to how it used to be. The main players, one branch each.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Phil71 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:33 pm

UFGN wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

Yes, I'm sure you're right.

Glad you got off it.

If you remember how bookies were before FOBTs then you'll know just how many more of them there are now. It's not unusual to have 8-10 in one town centre, especially in poor areas. This will redress the balance back to how it used to be. The main players, one branch each.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Rockape » Fri May 18, 2018 4:25 pm

Incredible that they were ever allowed in the first place, guaranteed to ruin lives! When I was a teenager i got hooked briefly on the fruit machines and ever since then I've steered well clear of gambling and made sure my kids have been well warned! I now bet about £25 a year on a couple of events!
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Royal Gooner » Fri May 18, 2018 4:26 pm

About time, the government have allowed gambling to get out of hand in this country, about time they reeled them in to stop them ruining peoples lives. Frankly, I wish we'd never decriminalised this sort of thing.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Reverend Gooner » Fri May 18, 2018 6:30 pm

This is a good move, now they need to look at a similarly great threat which is the stealth gambling addiction among kids which is being completely unregulated because they fall in the toys and games categories.

By this I mean things like ultimate team cards, video game loot boxes and toys with rarity risk/rewards with big incentives to 'collect them all'. Even kids my daughters age (4) are being targetted by dolls which cost £10 and each have a certain rarity and it costs hundreds to get close to the full set (new set each year as well as subsets too). Youtube reveal videos for all these things further support and entice the children to want to spend.

I have played CCGS and TCGs since I was young and in the mid 2000s I made a good amount of money buying and selling magic cards so i know what it is about and how addictive and 'odds against the buyer' it is. The biggest complaint I have seen around the net is kids who get hold of their parents card details and rinse their accounts to buy more stuff they just 'have to get'. Many times I have heard of teenagers who get hundreds of pounds/dollars for xmas/birthday, spend it on the add ons and then instantly lose it on gambling sites (counterstike is a good example).

I work in a primary school and I have seen the arguments over pokemon cards, FIFA ultimate team. Heard all about their gaming exploits, loot boxes et. There are arguments about parental responsibility and children's access to account details which is one of the reasons why not much is being done (in the EU anyway, china is doing something) but some parents are not that always tech savvy and modern kids are more and more at younger ages than ever. What I have seen with my own eyes and the financial horror stories I have read (especially for teens) is that children are getting addicted to gambling and they don't even realise it and it is a worrying thing to install in children.

Sorry if it seems a bit off topic but it is the same area of discussion so I thought it was relevant enough.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Marsbar100 » Fri May 18, 2018 7:05 pm

Why do people find gambling so addictive?
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby UFGN » Fri May 18, 2018 8:09 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:This is a good move, now they need to look at a similarly great threat which is the stealth gambling addiction among kids which is being completely unregulated because they fall in the toys and games categories.

By this I mean things like ultimate team cards, video game loot boxes and toys with rarity risk/rewards with big incentives to 'collect them all'. Even kids my daughters age (4) are being targetted by dolls which cost £10 and each have a certain rarity and it costs hundreds to get close to the full set (new set each year as well as subsets too). Youtube reveal videos for all these things further support and entice the children to want to spend.

I have played CCGS and TCGs since I was young and in the mid 2000s I made a good amount of money buying and selling magic cards so i know what it is about and how addictive and 'odds against the buyer' it is. The biggest complaint I have seen around the net is kids who get hold of their parents card details and rinse their accounts to buy more stuff they just 'have to get'. Many times I have heard of teenagers who get hundreds of pounds/dollars for xmas/birthday, spend it on the add ons and then instantly lose it on gambling sites (counterstike is a good example).

I work in a primary school and I have seen the arguments over pokemon cards, FIFA ultimate team. Heard all about their gaming exploits, loot boxes et. There are arguments about parental responsibility and children's access to account details which is one of the reasons why not much is being done (in the EU anyway, china is doing something) but some parents are not that always tech savvy and modern kids are more and more at younger ages than ever. What I have seen with my own eyes and the financial horror stories I have read (especially for teens) is that children are getting addicted to gambling and they don't even realise it and it is a worrying thing to install in children.

Sorry if it seems a bit off topic but it is the same area of discussion so I thought it was relevant enough.

I'm a bit out of the loop 're this sort of thing but I see your point. Problem is though that kids have been trading cards etc since forever so how can you stop it

You could regulate the downloading of games with in app purchases etc but you'd need to force app stores like Google Play to work on a strict password-per-transaction basis for all app purchases. Kids getting hold of parents credit cards / passwords? I'm afraid that's on the parents.

UFGN

Postby Phil71 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:08 pm

After the resignation of the Sports Minister, and subsequent ramp up in pressure from all parties, the government has relented, and brought the change date forward to April 2019.

Good news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46205812
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby UFGN » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:30 pm

I think in a funny way this could be good for local high streets

Betting shops bring nothing to the table in terms of high street economy..... their punters aren't exactly going into lots of other shops as well

This should create a good few empty shops which will be bad in the short term, but when they do eventually get let out again it will be with more useful business, shops and services. Good for the shopper, good for the local economy

Bad for bookies.... so sad, off you f**k

UFGN

Postby Phil71 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:14 pm

Definitely good news for the untold people who would otherwise lose everything playing those infernal machines.

I like an occasional bet on football or the horses, and I see people in betting shops pumping money into them. Last Saturday morning I saw a bloke lose £200 in about five minutes. He walked over to another bloke playing a different machine, and I overheard him telling the bloke that he had lost three grand the previous week, but had recouped about a grand this week.

It's just incredible.
Last edited by Phil71 on Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Royal Gooner » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:32 pm

UFGN wrote:I think in a funny way this could be good for local high streets

Betting shops bring nothing to the table in terms of high street economy..... their punters aren't exactly going into lots of other shops as well

This should create a good few empty shops which will be bad in the short term, but when they do eventually get let out again it will be with more useful business, shops and services. Good for the shopper, good for the local economy

Bad for bookies.... so sad, off you f**k

The lesson is: don't mess with the Archbishop of Canterbury.

He said he'd put Wonga out of business, 5 years later they are.
He said fixed odds betting terminals should be cut, and they will be so.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Next

Return to The Big Debate