What happens after you die?

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

What happens after you die?

Postby LegendaryKeown » Mon May 07, 2018 2:08 pm

Was wondering what everyone's views were on what happens to us after we die.
When you give a voice to stupid people, it makes them more stupid and not more intelligent
LegendaryKeown
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Re: What happens after you die?

Postby Sims » Mon May 07, 2018 2:10 pm

Nothing u just die
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby SuperJackyWilshere » Mon May 07, 2018 2:10 pm

I’ll post here and let you know
SuperJackyWilshere
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby LegendaryKeown » Mon May 07, 2018 2:11 pm

Sims wrote:Nothing u just die

But what about after then? What about your memories, thoughts and ambitions?

And if this is all, then why live at all? Might as well die and end this life.

Doesn't the thought bug you that there's no point to anything and we'll all die anyway? And not just us, but also any ancestors, since even in the best case scenario where we manage to switch solar systems, humanity will end by the time this universe is 10^32 years old anyway.
When you give a voice to stupid people, it makes them more stupid and not more intelligent
LegendaryKeown
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon May 07, 2018 2:16 pm

Either it will just be like it was before you were born or you become pure energy.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby LegendaryKeown » Mon May 07, 2018 2:23 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Either it will just be like it was before you were born or you become pure energy.

What's the point of anything then? And if you become energy, what then?
LegendaryKeown
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby LegendaryKeown » Mon May 07, 2018 2:25 pm

Another question, if no religion is right, how come so many prophecies have come true?
LegendaryKeown
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby StLGooner » Mon May 07, 2018 2:29 pm

I would guess it's just like it was before you were born. Nothingness, which is hard to fathom in the human mind.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Mon May 07, 2018 2:30 pm

LegendaryKeown wrote:Another question, if no religion is right, how come so many prophecies have come true?

What about the ones that haven't come true? Or the other things that religion has been wrong about?
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Mon May 07, 2018 2:31 pm

Just because you may want life to be more meaningful doesn't mean that it is. IMO you give meaning to your own life and give it it's own purpose. And to me that is a whole lot better than some deity giving it to me.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Mon May 07, 2018 2:32 pm

LegendaryKeown wrote:Another question, if no religion is right, how come so many prophecies have come true?

If you predict enough shit some of its going to happen, especially when the parameters for deciding whether or not it's come true are set by those who wish it to be true

Rule one of debate: Take a little time out to consider that maybe it's you who's the idiot

Well I've done that with religion and I'm still cool with utterly dismissing it

Difference between a scientist and a theologian is that a good scientist will pursue knowledge and truth even at the expense of his own previous work

A theologian looks to shoehorn all of reality into a finite number of pages of text, which never change and never can change
Last edited by UFGN on Mon May 07, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby StLGooner » Mon May 07, 2018 2:33 pm

UFGN wrote:

If you predict enough shit some of its going to happen, especially when the parameters for deciding whether or not it's come true are set by those who wish it to be true

Rule one of debate: Take a little time out to consider that maybe it's you who's the idiot

Difference between a scientist and a theologian is that a good scientist will pursue knowledge and truth even at the expense of his own previous work

A theologian looks to shoehorn all of reality into a finite number of pages which never change and never can change

Well said!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Ach » Mon May 07, 2018 2:33 pm

You reincarnate in to Ach
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby LegendaryKeown » Mon May 07, 2018 2:36 pm

UFGN wrote:

A theologian looks to shoehorn all of reality into a finite number of pages of text, which never change and never can change

I haven't mentioned any specific religion yet, I'm just wondering about all the possibilities. Even if all religions are wrong, it still doesn't mean there can't be a soul. People who have OBE's, NDE's, and those who claim to have astral projected all seem to point to there being a soul.

But if there's a soul, why would brain damage and dementia change someone's personality? But if there is no soul, then what's the point of anything and what caused the Big Bang?
LegendaryKeown
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby LegendaryKeown » Mon May 07, 2018 2:37 pm

StLGooner wrote:Just because you may want life to be more meaningful doesn't mean that it is. IMO you give meaning to your own life and give it it's own purpose. And to me that is a whole lot better than some deity giving it to me.

Except there is no meaning. At best, in 10^32 years, this Universe will cease to exist as even the protons and neutrons have a half life.
LegendaryKeown
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Next

Return to The Big Debate