Soshal meeja

Grab a chair, open a beer, and chat away! In Tribute to Drama, SE13, and Fabrestuta. R.I.P.

Re: Soshal meeja

Postby LMAO » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:15 am

UFGN wrote:If Facebook isn't the baddy that I believe it is, why does it record it's users text message and phone call data, and why can't I delete it's app from my phone?!

Note I said delete, not deactive

Good post btw Rev

Because for a lot of Android phones, the Facebook app is locked by the manufacturer/carrier.

You have 2 options (well 3 if you're tech-savvy) if you want the option to delete Facebook from your phone:
1. Switch to a Pixel. The Pixel line offers a pure Android experience—basically Google's version of iPhones—free from bloatware (i.e., preloaded locked apps such as Facebook and general carrier nonsense like your carrier's version of a map app but I don't know if you have to deal with that in the UK) that phones from other Android manufacturers like Samsung, LG, HTC, Motorola, etc. are subjected to.

2. Switch to an iPhone. Like with the Pixel line, there aren't preloaded locked third-party apps on iPhones. If you want a pure mobile OS experience with the ability to uninstall nonessential apps unhindered, then a Pixel or an iPhone will be your best bet.

3. Root your current Android phone so that you become the superuser, which is a step-up from having your current admin privileges. DO NOT DO IF YOU ARE NOT TECH-SAVVY BECAUSE ROOTING CAN OPEN MASSIVE SECURITY HOLES IN YOUR PHONE!

If none of those options suit your fancy, then you're SOL when it comes to uninstalling Facebook from your phone.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby UFGN » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:12 pm

LMAO wrote:
UFGN wrote:If Facebook isn't the baddy that I believe it is, why does it record it's users text message and phone call data, and why can't I delete it's app from my phone?!

Good post btw Rev

Because for a lot of Android phones, the Facebook app is locked by the manufacturer/carrier.

You have 2 options (well 3 if you're tech-savvy) if you want the option to delete Facebook from your phone:
1. Switch to a Pixel. The Pixel line offers a pure Android experience—basically Google's version of iPhones—free from bloatware (i.e., preloaded locked apps such as Facebook and general carrier nonsense like your carrier's version of a map app but I don't know if you have to deal with that in the UK) that phones from other Android manufacturers like Samsung, LG, HTC, Motorola, etc. are subjected to.

2. Switch to an iPhone. Like with the Pixel line, there aren't preloaded locked third-party apps on iPhones. If you want a pure mobile OS experience with the ability to uninstall nonessential apps unhindered, then a Pixel or an iPhone will be your best bet.

3. Root your current Android phone so that you become the superuser, which is a step-up from having your current admin privileges. DO NOT DO IF YOU ARE NOT TECH-SAVVY BECAUSE ROOTING CAN OPEN MASSIVE SECURITY HOLES IN YOUR PHONE!

If none of those options suit your fancy, then you're SOL when it comes to uninstalling Facebook from your phone.

Cheers

I'll certainly consider a pixel next time. I was looking at them anyway and heard they had less junk on them

We have the same issues with bloatwear here
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby LMAO » Sat May 12, 2018 4:12 am

UFGN wrote:
LMAO wrote:

Good post btw Rev

Cheers

I'll certainly consider a pixel next time. I was looking at them anyway and heard they had less junk on them

We have the same issues with bloatwear here

There's also this:
https://puri.sm/shop/librem-5/

But idk your risk preference.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Previous

Return to The Harambee