Soshal meeja

Grab a chair, open a beer, and chat away! In Tribute to Drama, SE13, and Fabrestuta. R.I.P.

Soshal meeja

Postby UFGN » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:36 pm

I'm a sceptic. I don't trust Facebook in particular but, more generally, I've never been a fan of the concept of social media platforms. My main concerns are;

There's obvious privacy issues

FB in particular seems to cause a lot of trouble for people what with ex partners, people they don't get on with etc

And

The time spent on it and it's evident addictiveness

I'm not on Facebook or Twitter and I'm sometimes met with open hostility when I tell people this. Not always but sometimes it's like the person I've just told this information is a junkie who's furious that I'm not also addicted.

I'm interested to hear people's opinions. Do we have other SM abstainers here?

Has you use of social media changed over the years?

Are you more or less careful now about what you share?

What do you think is good or bad about it?

Has recent news about FB changed your attitude to it?
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Re: Soshal meeja

Postby Rastayouth » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:16 pm

Do we have other SM abstainers here?

For the most part. Keep an account so as to be able to contact friends around the world if I'm ever going to visit near them. People you don't usually phone but would love to see if you had the opportunity.
Hate the mindless scrolling, stalking and narcissism. Hate how life's experiences are now spent focussing on getting the best looking picture versus actually living them. Hate the herding, misinformation and lack of thought that it propagates.

Has you use of social media changed over the years?

Used to be on it as a teenager but WhatsApp has taken over the communication function for me.

Are you more or less careful now about what you share?

Not because I fear for my privacy. Just because it isn't worth sharing anything on social media. I can share with people in my own personal way via direct message or face to face.

What do you think is good or bad about it?

See the first answer

Has recent news about FB changed your attitude to it?

Not really. To some extent this was expected. Not the nitty gritty of accessing friends of friends profiles via my app usage etc but the manipulation aspect was always there.

Any phycologists on here? From my rudimentary knowledge it seems an ideal environment to influence a herd/modify behaviour - instant positive feedback via likes for all to see, coupled with intimate knowledge of my personal preferences. Pretty cool, scary experiment.
Rastayouth
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby UFGN » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:24 pm

Rastayouth wrote:Hate how life's experiences are now spent focussing on getting the best looking picture versus actually living them.

Amen

Live music has been ruined by absolute bellends filming the gig instead of watching it. They're more interested in uploading it to their SM platforms than actually being there. Pathetic.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby LMAO » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:46 am

UFGN wrote:I'm a sceptic. I don't trust Facebook in particular but, more generally, I've never been a fan of the concept of social media platforms. My main concerns are;

What if I were to tell you that even though you don't use Facebook, there's still a shadow profile of you?

But I deactivated my account—no point in deleting since it's never truly deleted—back in October. I rarely go on Instagram because I don't give a flying f**k what people ate for dinner (but it's nice to see friends' vacation photos and whatnot), and I've never really been a fan of Snapchat and Twitter. I've gotten to the point where if I care enough about someone, then they're in my phone contacts and I can call or message them to hang out or update.

The only social media I bother with anymore is Reddit.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby UFGN » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:22 am

LMAO wrote:
UFGN wrote:I'm a sceptic. I don't trust Facebook in particular but, more generally, I've never been a fan of the concept of social media platforms. My main concerns are;

What if I were to tell you that even though you don't use Facebook, there's still a shadow profile of you?

Yeah I find that disgusting but not surprising

UFGN

Postby Dejan » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:13 am

Dont really care about my privacy tbh

Deleted fb end of last year and it was defo one of the better decisions ive made

No more endless scrolling

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:38 am

Literally only use em for jokes shit now

My view has been if u worry about ur personal privacy then u shouldn’t have really got it in the first place
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:43 pm

Apart from 2 times I posted something to keep my wife happy I haven't made an actual public post on facebook since 2007. I log on about once a month and will sometimes use it to message friends but generally I have no interest. I will not delete it though as it is a good thing to have in terms of emergency contact. I have never used twitter/instagram/pinterest/etc.

My wife's page is an endless chronicle of my daughters life, you could literally charter everything she has done and every photo from her profile. I really don't like it but it was never an argument worth having. The fact is baring ones life and soul on social media is something that millions and millions of people around the world are more than happy to do. I don't understand the mindset but it is what it is so I may as well accept it. I just keep myself out of it.

Also as someone who works in a primary school I see more and more how social media has a negative effect on young children. I feel like schools (secondary schools mainly) should create and include lessons in their ICT and PSHE schemes on work on how to identify and navigate the bullshit of the internet. The internet is so different to what it was 10 - 15 years ago and while many great innovations have been made it has not changed for the better.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:50 pm

Stopped using FB three years ago.

Don't have Twitter because I don't feel like subjecting myself to the opinions of 3 billion idiots.

I only have Insta but I don't use it much.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby UFGN » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:11 pm

If Facebook isn't the baddy that I believe it is, why does it record it's users text message and phone call data, and why can't I delete it's app from my phone?!

Note I said delete, not deactive

Good post btw Rev

UFGN

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:41 pm

I downloaded the burger king app the other day and it asked for permission to make calls from my phone. I deleted that app straight away.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:46 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:I downloaded the burger king app the other day and it asked for permission to make calls from my phone. I deleted that app straight away.

Check out the t's and c's of the uber app

UFGN

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:54 pm

One positive:

I showed the mrs the pics of the anti-gun demonstrations on the news just now and said how its nice to see positive news making headlines for a change.

She said something along the lines of ‘there’s always lots of positive news, it just doesn’t always make the headlines’. She said they only report what they want you to know and you always get a biased view one way or the other.

She then said thats why she doesn’t follow the news through official newspapers/websites. She said that if you follow a mixture of sides then you get a more balanced view. She said that is why she follows the news via social media rather than official news-outlets.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:04 pm

Tony_Adams wrote:One positive:

I showed the mrs the pics of the anti-gun demonstrations on the news just now and said how its nice to see positive news making headlines for a change.

She said something along the lines of ‘there’s always lots of positive news, it just doesn’t always make the headlines’. She said they only report what they want you to know and you always get a biased view one way or the other.

She then said thats why she doesn’t follow the news through official newspapers/websites. She said that if you follow a mixture of sides then you get a more balanced view. She said that is why she follows the news via social media rather than official news-outlets.

I think there's some good in newspapers. Yes they have an agenda but the benefit is you know their position already so you can take that into account when you decide what your own opinion on an article is

Also the more respected newspapers have editorial standards to uphold.

Online you don't always know what someone's agenda is.

UFGN

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:35 pm

UFGN wrote:
Tony_Adams wrote:One positive:

I think there's some good in newspapers. Yes they have an agenda but the benefit is you know their position already so you can take that into account when you decide what your own opinion on an article is

Also the more respected newspapers have editorial standards to uphold.

Online you don't always know what someone's agenda is.

No, but the point the mrs was making is that there are a range of view points and most people would buy a newspaper that they tend to agree with.

She tries to see the news from a variety of angles and criticises me because the news app i use tailors the news to what i’d agree with.

She also says that places like twitter will give you news that the tabloid press might not report on. It gives everyone a chance to put their point across. As she says though, you have to be disciplined enough to not just follow sources you agree with.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Next

Return to The Harambee