WENGER OUT

Re: WENGER OUT

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:09 pm

GoonerAlexandre wrote:EK, I think the issue is the people behind our front three. We can get away with Mkhi and Ozil behind Auba, but we can't get away with a three man midfielder of Wilshere, Xhaka and Elneny.

It's all on the manager here. Yes, Ozil and Mkhi feels like overkill, but City are running away with it while playing KdB and Silva, and at times having Jesus and Aguero on the pitch alongside them

Bang on GA .... if we had a defensive six (hate to say it but like Spuds) then playing an all out attacking three makes perfect sense .... but repeatedly buying more players to add to the attacking three when the defensive six needs at least three replacements? that's just fecked ....

Alexis is in the top ten of 'front three' players in the world .... swapping him out for anyone else won't make a blind bit of difference if the 'engine room' is still in pieces ....

All that will happen is the new 'front three' superstar player will get demoralized, lose heart, start to fail and ultimately look to leave .... we've seen it happen time after time ....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:15 pm

EliteKiller wrote:
GoonerAlexandre wrote:EK, I think the issue is the people behind our front three. We can get away with Mkhi and Ozil behind Auba, but we can't get away with a three man midfielder of Wilshere, Xhaka and Elneny.

It's all on the manager here. Yes, Ozil and Mkhi feels like overkill, but City are running away with it while playing KdB and Silva, and at times having Jesus and Aguero on the pitch alongside them

Bang on GA .... if we had a defensive six (hate to say it but like Spuds) then playing an all out attacking three makes perfect sense .... but repeatedly buying more players to add to the attacking three when the defensive six needs at least three replacements? that's just fecked ....

Alexis is in the top ten of 'front three' players in the world .... swapping him out for anyone else won't make a blind bit of difference if the 'engine room' is still in pieces ....

All that will happen is the new 'front three' superstar player will get demoralized, lose heart, start to fail and ultimately look to leave .... we've seen it happen time after time ....

Hopefully, things will change now that Wenger's not in complete charge of transfers. We need a new CB, and two new defensive minded midfielders. Ramsey and Wilshere can be backups at most.

Also, Look at what's come out now on Welbeck

James Olley: Arsenal signed Danny Welbeck on Deadline Day, because Arsène Wenger had to get up early for an engagement with Pope Francis in Italy. Arsenal had previously wanted him on a season-long loan with an option to buy, but the low price of £16,000,000 convinced Wenger to "take the plunge"

We signed Welbeck because Wenger decided to take care of personal business on deadline day. What blatant mismanagement.....
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby Andrew » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:15 pm

EliteKiller wrote:in the NLD last weekend, would you rather have had Eriksen or Ozil? that's just no contest ....

Brilliant quote
THIS is the question all Ozil fans on this forum should be asking themselves.
Making good men better----->PM
Andrew
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Marsbar100 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:19 pm

OZIL is more gifted but Eriksson has a more all round game
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby theHotHead » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:51 pm

EliteKiller wrote:Neymar, Bale, Ronaldo all moved for money .... either PR money, club money, or personal gain .... no problem with any of that, every big club loses/gains top players ....

I'm not saying 'let Ozil go' far from it, if you look at the Ozil thread you will see I've supported him endlessly .... this thread is not about Ozil but about Wonger and his failure to create a team, a squad, or the tactics where we will see the benefit of Ozil ....

He needs to play free role with two sound defensive midfield players behind him, we haven't had that since we signed him .... he will never carry a team through tough games, RM let him go not because he was a 'bad player' but because he didn't fit the manager's dynamic .... to quote Ozil 'I did not have the faith from the coach or the bosses'

Hindsight is obviously easy but who the feck thought playing two 'can't fight they're way out of a wet paper bag' creative attacking players against a spuds side that can only play one way, was ever going to work? when you're in a fight you need fighters not ballet dancers however good at ballet they might be ....

FYI - As you rightly point out Modric is in a whole different class to Ozil (and pretty much everyone else) he's a central midfielder not the same as Ozil so their stats will obviously be very different ....

As I said this is the Wonger thread .... I'm not bashing Ozil nor for one second suggesting he should go, he is by far our best player on his day .... what I am saying is that Wonger hasn't a feckin' clue how to get the best from him, or indeed from the entire squad .... Wonger is and has been the problem for a very long time, Ozil is just his latest victim .....

Wonger got away with square pegs in round holes when the opposition managers were all cigar smoking, wine swilling, egotists .... now he's faced with pragmatic, focused, highly professional managers that just won't work anymore .... Mourinho is having the same struggles but at least he's attempting to adapt (selling Mkhi and dropping Pogba) ... Wonger is away with the fairies, spending millions on square pegs when we have a whole row of empty round holes .... we need to get him gone

Fair play EK.

But I don't think Ozil having a free role requires 2 DMs behind him, just get one good DM and you are set. More defensively minded managers play with 2 DMS, offensively minded managers play with 1.

Look at Man City, Guardiola plays with Fernadinho who anchors sort of .... the rest of the midfield is De Bruyne and Gundogan.
Look at Spurs, Pochettino plays with Dier who anchors, the rest of the midfield is Dembele and Eriksen.

Even Man U typically play with 1 (Matic) but when they play top teams typically its 2 (Herrera in there to help)

We have nobody to play the role well - thats why we need 2 players.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Ach » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:27 pm

Ozil

And I'm a massive eriksen fan. But he's not in Mesut league.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby arsenalpan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:38 pm

Andrew wrote:Its not like we will just get rid of him. We will replace him and thus completely change our structure and the way we play.

Building the team around Ozil hasn't worked . Time to move on

lol. We have never been building the team around Ozil.
The first thing you would do is to get a solid DM if you want to build a team around Ozil. The second thing is to get a killer inside the box.

It's time for you to move on.
arsenalpan
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:47 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:OZIL is more gifted but Eriksson has a more all round game

Eriksen for sure. He looked good even when the only outlet for his service was Roberto Soldado, the worst PL striker in a decade. When partnered with Dembele and Wanyama and servicing Alli and Kane up top, he's only gotten better and better. Surprised he hasn't moved to a bigger team but maybe that's the Poch effect.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:48 pm

Andrew wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:in the NLD last weekend, would you rather have had Eriksen or Ozil? that's just no contest ....

Brilliant quote

I'd rather have Ozil.

The only thing Errikson had in his favour is a competent game plan from the manager and a competent team to help him.

Ozil had neither.

In fact you could use this comparison across the whole team not just Ozil, we may as well swap Auba for Kane then etc.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby mel4 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:00 pm

Andrew wrote:

Brilliant quote

Ozil everyday.

I know people are comparing individual players but look at the stack of players behind eriksen
Dembele, Dier, Vertonghen, Sanchez, Davies, Lloris.... on their current form and performance level, they shit all over what we have behind ozil.

...just give Ozil a Dembele and Dier type midfielders, and see how it changes many things.

........ 1 - nil to The Arsenal
mel4
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Sims » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:06 pm

Anyone who’d rather have eriksen is a genuine r***rd

Not surprised at what morons would pick eriksen either
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby theHotHead » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:00 pm

Ach wrote:Ozil

And I'm a massive eriksen fan. But he's not in Mesut league.

This. Mesut is on another level, people seem to forget.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:02 pm

The sad thing is we're comparing Eriksen to Ozil, and knowing that Ozil is better.

We have Wilshere as a midfielder. They have Dembele for that role
We have Ramsey as a Box to Box. They have Dele Alli for that role.
We have Xhaka as a DM, I know Elneny also played, but he's never been first choice. They have Wanyama or Dier.

How can you even compared Ozil to Eriksen when one has a great supporting cast and one has morons? Let's not forgot Eriksen had to create against our defence. I seriously think if Ozil and co played against our defence, they'd be 10-0 up in 20 minutes
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby 22-0 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:07 pm

pretty sure this ozil vs erikson is in the wrong thread.
22-0
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:08 pm

GoonerAlexandre wrote:The sad thing is we're comparing Eriksen to Ozil, and knowing that Ozil is better.

We have Wilshere as a midfielder. They have Dembele for that role
We have Ramsey as a Box to Box. They have Dele Alli for that role.
We have Xhaka as a DM, I know Elneny also played, but he's never been first choice. They have Wanyama or Dier.

How can you even compared Ozil to Eriksen when one has a great supporting cast and one has morons? Let's not forgot Eriksen had to create against our defence. I seriously think if Ozil and co played against our defence, they'd be 10-0 up in 20 minutes

If Erikson was on our team we'd have won don't you know?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Past competitions and posts