Mesut & Alexis' Contract Situation

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mesut & Alexis' Contract Situation

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:24 pm

Angelito wrote:As a diversion, let's talk about players whose contracts expire at the end of next season: Walcott, Welbeck, Ramsey, Cech, and Giroud.

Players whose contracts expire at the end of the season: Ozil, Alexis, Wilshere, Campbell.

Jeremy Wilson is reporting that we have started preliminary discussions with Welbeck and Ramsey. There are no on-going contract talks with Ozil, Alexis, or Wilshere.

Giroud and Walcott are set to depart in the summer. Wilshere is a goner too. Alexis will leave for sure - only question is if it's in Jan or in the summer.

Alexis scored 30 goals last season. He's been our leading goal scorer since he's joined. No winger has scored more than Alexis in the Premier League since his arrival. I'm not sure who would be able to reproduce that once he's gone.

A sticky position to be in.

In rather uplifting news, nonetheless, we shall continue to be clowns by offering Welbeck a Theo-esque deal.

Ramsey will no doubt sign a £150k a week deal.

Gosh, I just wish either one of Alexis or Ozil stayed. :(

I'll try and answer that question. If you can't replace like for like, then you get players and adopt a system that will get the best out of what you currently have a concept Wenger seems to struggle with imo. If, for example, your first ix is pretty good but full of injury prone players then 1. you make sure you have/buy players that will make your second team as good as your first and 2. you rotate/rest the injury prone players at every chance you get.

Another example using Lacazette. Lacazette to me seems capable of at least a goal contribution per game. Approach with him should be how do I turn that return into back-to-back wins. First, you strengthen your defense. Playing a midfielder who can barely move, a keeper with very little to no agility, and defenders who think they're forwards is definitely not what i'm talking about. Second, you get players who can play off of or with Lacazette considering he makes good runs as well as nice passes. In this case, you don't want to be playing Lacazette with players who don't have a football brain, good movement, or good finishing. I know the players I'm looking at

A third example using Xhaka. Xhaka's best assets seems to be his long range shots and passes. Approach with him should be how do I free him up to take shots and make passes. First, you lessen the amount of mop up work he has to do and instead surround him with players who are better at the job. If, for example, that means no Ozil alongside him and you know Xhaka provides more value to the team than Ozil then, for the sake of the team's balance, drop Ozil. Second, you don't play players who do not have the intelligence to play the ball to Xhaka's left foot as well as players who are not ready to pounce on rebounds. Again, I know who I'm looking at here.

I could go on with examples but

TL;DR: My point is, if you can't buy quality players or you can't fit quality players properly into your team, then go for balance.
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby elkanofan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:57 pm

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
Angelito wrote:As a diversion, let's talk about players whose contracts expire at the end of next season: Walcott, Welbeck, Ramsey, Cech, and Giroud.

Players whose contracts expire at the end of the season: Ozil, Alexis, Wilshere, Campbell.

Jeremy Wilson is reporting that we have started preliminary discussions with Welbeck and Ramsey. There are no on-going contract talks with Ozil, Alexis, or Wilshere.

Giroud and Walcott are set to depart in the summer. Wilshere is a goner too. Alexis will leave for sure - only question is if it's in Jan or in the summer.

Alexis scored 30 goals last season. He's been our leading goal scorer since he's joined. No winger has scored more than Alexis in the Premier League since his arrival. I'm not sure who would be able to reproduce that once he's gone.

A sticky position to be in.

In rather uplifting news, nonetheless, we shall continue to be clowns by offering Welbeck a Theo-esque deal.

Ramsey will no doubt sign a £150k a week deal.

Gosh, I just wish either one of Alexis or Ozil stayed. :(

I'll try and answer that question. If you can't replace like for like, then you get players and adopt a system that will get the best out of what you currently have a concept Wenger seems to struggle with imo. If, for example, your first ix is pretty good but full of injury prone players then 1. you make sure you have/buy players that will make your second team as good as your first and 2. you rotate/rest the injury prone players at every chance you get.

Another example using Lacazette. Lacazette to me seems capable of at least a goal contribution per game. Approach with him should be how do I turn that return into back-to-back wins. First, you strengthen your defense. Playing a midfielder who can barely move, a keeper with very little to no agility, and defenders who think they're forwards is definitely not what i'm talking about. Second, you get players who can play off of or with Lacazette considering he makes good runs as well as nice passes. In this case, you don't want to be playing Lacazette with players who don't have a football brain, good movement, or good finishing. I know the players I'm looking at

A third example using Xhaka. Xhaka's best assets seems to be his long range shots and passes. Approach with him should be how do I free him up to take shots and make passes. First, you lessen the amount of mop up work he has to do and instead surround him with players who are better at the job. If, for example, that means no Ozil alongside him and you know Xhaka provides more value to the team than Ozil then, for the sake of the team's balance, drop Ozil. Second, you don't play players who do not have the intelligence to play the ball to Xhaka's left foot as well as players who are not ready to pounce on rebounds. Again, I know who I'm looking at here.

I could go on with examples but

TL;DR: My point is, if you can't buy quality players or you can't fit quality players properly into your team, then go for balance.
Agreed. We must do this now. We have no choice. Theres a slight chance we can convince mesut to stay if we bonce back and play good football throughout the season and win the Europa.

Alexis however is already gone. Buying someone like Draxler would be idea or even if we use the money to buy a proper Santi replacement which is vital right now and look to develop Nelson or Iwobi.

The future of our club and squad is really up in the air right now so whatever happenes to our two stars we will need to recruit very wisely or we could have a proper disaster season even more than last year.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ronniec » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:31 pm

Gs1981 wrote:Goretzka on a free would be a proper Cazorla replacement.

An immediate, absolute upgrade of Ramsey and Xhaka.
Would do a better job to cover Ozil as they play with each other on the NT.
ronniec
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:16 pm

So looks like neither will sign.

Slightly irrelevant, but Arsenal Nasri>>>>>>>>>Arsenal Sanchez and Arsenal Cesc>>>>>>>>> Arsenal Ozil
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Previous

Return to Arsenal Talk