General Movie Discussion Thread

Re: Last movie you watched

Postby Angelito » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:30 pm

Fenice wrote:I thought the opening to Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was some of the best film work I’ve seen in a decade.

Visually, it was spectacular and justifiably so. But look at it this way: Guardians 1 was good and entertaining because it was a chaotic spectacle with quirky characters and an endearing chemistry between the characters. The outcasts getting together for a rout is something we've seen so many times. Under the confines of various galaxies? No, and that added to the aura.

Guardians 2 is as typical a story as Hollywood can dish out, with the turns, reversals, and twists part of Hollywood narrative since the late 70s. It was frankly a mockery. And visuals can only take you so far.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Fenice » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:35 pm

Fair, but I also think it fleshed our characters more that people care about. 2 isn’t possible without one, but one is better because of 2.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Kite33 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:42 pm

Legend...tom hardy is the best
Kite33
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Fenice » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:04 pm

Blade Runner. Very, very good. Should be making way more money. Gosling is outstanding and whoever played his companion was great.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Cripps » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:15 pm

King Arthur 8/10

Not as good as Excalibur but still a good film. Love the story of King Arthur and the sword so was always going to enjoy this

Pirates Of The Caribbean: Salazars Revenge 6/10

Got bored. Surely that's the final one ffs? Good to see the old crew back one more time but call it a day
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:26 am

Pirates of the Caribbean vs The Fast and the Furious.

Which franchise milked it more with the sequels?

The first two films of each are the only ones worth watching.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Cripps » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:32 am

Fast and the Furious films are awesome tbh

Other than Tokyo Drift, the only one without either Vin Diesel or Paul Walker thus the shittest, the rest have been brilliant

POTC, last one was forgettable so much so that I forgot what happened in it and was a bit lost watching the latest one.

Think there might be more POTC films though if the after credit scene is anything to go by

Watching Power Rangers now.Was never a fan of the series, lets see how the film is
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Cripps » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:50 am

Watched Wonder Woman earlier today for the first time

Best DC film so far

Then came Justice League which I watched just now.

Damnnn

Over to you Marvel, DC last 2 films have been awesome
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:42 am

I hope DC and Marvel kill each other so that we could live in a world without them. Sick and tired of Hollywood's superhero movies, sequels, prequels, remakes, reboots, etc.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Zenith » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:15 am

Angelito wrote:I hope DC and Marvel kill each other so that we could live in a world without them. Sick and tired of Hollywood's superhero movies, sequels, prequels, remakes, reboots, etc.

Amen.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Cripps » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:13 pm

Speaking of which, only a matter of time before we have a DC and marvel crossover. The film to end all films. Can't wait. Could be a decade or so if not more in the future but the money it will make, it would be crazy not to do. They've done it in the comics.

Are there too many superhero films? Probably but when they are that damn good, does anyone care?

Pretty much saved Hollywood. Take away the superhero films. What's the best film in the last 10 years?

Kings speech? Lol.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:23 pm

Zenith wrote:
Angelito wrote:I hope DC and Marvel kill each other so that we could live in a world without them. Sick and tired of Hollywood's superhero movies, sequels, prequels, remakes, reboots, etc.

Amen.

Blasphemy.

You guys don't have to watch them, why would you deny us such joy?

I used to read comics as a kid and I love that they are now bringing those stories to the big screen with bug budgets, only reason I still go to the cinema as often as I do.

Those movies plus Peaky Blinders have been great entertainment this year for me.

Cripps - I can't agree with you on Justice League, thought it was very bland, just a generic super hero movie the kind they did back in early 2000's, you need to up your game these days, it was also a CGI fest with bad effects, not sure how that happened with their budget?
Wonder Woman was good and by far the best DC film to date but even that was evens with some Marvel offerings and that was because no Snyder involvement.

I'm not sure who Snyder blew over at WB's to get such votes of confidence but he has single handed almost ruined the entire franchise for me.

Basically WB's wanted Avenger money without putting in the ground work and its effecting their movies, Wonder Woman in contrast was an origin movie and that's why its resonated because audiences know her background and so give a crap about her development.
Aquaman, Flash, Cyborg even Batman in this version were just thrown on screen.

2018 Marvel are gonna sweep DC away with Black Panther and Infinity War.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Fenice » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:47 pm

Black Panther and Infinity Wars will be sick. Rest of you lot can hate all you want.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Cripps » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:35 pm

I'm more marvel than DC but I enjoyed justice league. They should have had an aqua man and flash film before introducing them. Not so much Flash cos I know his origins thanks to the GOAT series but aqua man for sure as they did with wonder woman.

Infinity Wars should be one of all time greatest films. Can't wait
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:32 am

Daddy's Home 2 - one of those stupid but kinda funny films. 7/10
Santi
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Films