22/01/2017 | Arsenal 2-1 Burnley | Premier League

Re: 22/01/2017 | Arsenal 2-1 Burnley | Premier League

Postby RowdyRoddyPoppins » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:14 am

Couldn't help but notice in that article they missed out our blatant penalty for a foul on Mustafi.

Xhaka deserved a red card.

Burnley penalty was the correct decision.

Our penalty was a penalty because of the high boot but yes it was offside, blame the linesman not Arsenal.
RowdyRoddyPoppins
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Mike Dean » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:15 am

The quality of the refs in the EPL has been on a steady decline.

IMO, its a mixture of the refs being incompetent, some going senile, and plenty having grown a massive ego.
Mike Dean
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Santi » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:17 am

When you're desperate for Man Utd fan Howard Webb to come back, you know the refereeing has gone down the toilet.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby RowdyRoddyPoppins » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:17 am

Mike Dean wrote:The quality of the refs in the EPL has been on a steady decline.

IMO, its a mixture of the refs being incompetent, some going senile, and plenty having grown a massive ego.

I bet a lot of them look at the likes of Howard Webb and Graham Poll who now have steady jobs on the TV talking about the game, if they kept their heads down and stopped becoming the centre of attention the less chance they will be 'celebrities' and get coshy jobs after they retire.
RowdyRoddyPoppins
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Angelito » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:37 pm

With video technology available today, I don't understand why football would be averse to using it. It applies to red cards, penalties, and off-side goals. For yellow card fouls outside the box, no one needs to refer to the video. For crucial decisions, like penalties, red cards, and off side goals, it has become imperative to adopt technology and ensure the game progresses fairly.

Any of you have a counter-argument? I'd be delighted to hear about it. I can think how such referrals may slow the game, yet slower is better than being unfair.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Cripps » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:43 pm

What do you do when a player who isn't offside and is clean through but is given offside.

Take it to the video guy who says he wasn't offside. Then what? Give the player the ball and let him go through? Can't see it working for offsides. Penalties, sendings offs, dives, I'm all for it though
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:47 pm

Cripps wrote:What do you do when a player who isn't offside and is clean through but is given offside.

Take it to the video guy who says he wasn't offside. Then what? Give the player the ball and let him go through? Can't see it working for offsides. Penalties, sendings offs, dives, I'm all for it though

That's the reason I talked about off-side goals. If it doesn't result in a goal, or a player is given off-side before he scores, that's a quirk we have to accept.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Losmeister » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:53 pm

Angelito wrote:With video technology available today, I don't understand why football would be averse to using it. It applies to red cards, penalties, and off-side goals. For yellow card fouls outside the box, no one needs to refer to the video. For crucial decisions, like penalties, red cards, and off side goals, it has become imperative to adopt technology and ensure the game progresses fairly.

Any of you have a counter-argument? I'd be delighted to hear about it. I can think how such referrals may slow the game, yet slower is better than being unfair.

i've been banging this drum since i started posting.

of course its not perfect. but it would better the game.

it would resolve some important controversial calls.

eg- Henry hand ball v Ireland
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Losmeister » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:02 pm

cripps gives a good example of a wrinkle it would not entirely resolve.

i'd say in that case.... the team that had a wrong offsides called retains possession w/ free kick from spot of error.

at least the error does not cede possession to the team that was favored by a misjudgement ON TOP of stopping a legit attack.

however, some wrongly called offsides goals would be rightly given, as well as wrongly given offsides goals negated.

headed (non)goal v Barca yesterday was correctly NOT given... but if it HAD been given as a goal...the vid tech would have resolved that issue.
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Santi » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:48 pm

Just make the refs less shit and allow some human error to occur. Only problem at the moment is the vast quantity of fvck ups, personally the game is so much more fun with the possibility of human error/decisions even if it can be hugely frustrating at times.

If our games end up like bloody NFL then I'll give up, I love the sport but it keeps me up til 4am when the game starts at 1am and is only 60 mins long in terms of playing time :dontknow:

Goalline tech was fine but the odd dodgy offside call and missed foul are no biggie for me, it might be unfair at the time but it's part of the excitement of the game imo.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Pudpop » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:08 pm

Angelito wrote:
Cripps wrote:What do you do when a player who isn't offside and is clean through but is given offside.

That's the reason I talked about off-side goals. If it doesn't result in a goal, or a player is given off-side before he scores, that's a quirk we have to accept.

Just have a second type of call for the assistant. If he's not sure whether or not its offside or its a close call then he can lift the flag differently. If he lifts it differently then have everyone play on as normal, and the video assistant can check it while play happens
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Santi » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:14 pm

Pudpop wrote:
Angelito wrote:

Just have a second type of call for the assistant. If he's not sure whether or not its offside or its a close call then he can lift the flag differently. If he lifts it differently then have everyone play on as normal, and the video assistant can check it while play happens

If he's not sure then just leave it down and challenge it afterwards via mic to the ref, putting it up different will be far too hard - the striker has to check, so do the defenders and then carry on...they will just see a flag go up n stop.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:16 pm

Mesüt wrote:
Pudpop wrote:
Angelito wrote:

If he's not sure then just leave it down and challenge it afterwards via mic to the ref, putting it up different will be far too hard - the striker has to check, so do the defenders and then carry on...they will just see a flag go up n stop.

Yeah, this sounds better. Let the game carry on as Pud stated, but let the assistant reconfirm via mic after the goal has been scored or something like that.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Pudpop » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:56 pm

And maybe it'll be easier to teach children to play to the whistle...
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Big17 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:58 pm

Lol I really like this knew Pudop. Leaving limbs all over the place.

Savage Puds <3
Big17
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2016-17