The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (11)

Postby Angelito » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:40 pm

Goonerz wrote:
Angelito wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
diesel wrote:Oh the reason he's here is wenger is it? Not the 60,000 mugs that sing his name, pay his wages and who suffer, come hell or high water for the club we love? Well, fvck off then and any player that doesn't want to give everything can fvck off as well. Ambition and passion to be successful for the badge and being frustrated when it doesn't happen I have no problem, but someone who is in any job only for his immediate manager and come to that an immediate manager who no longer has the ruthlessness or desire to be a true winner shows a lack of ambition and disrespect to my (our) club. They can both p*ss off.

I never really used to look at it like that but you are absolutely right; if a player is only here because of the manager, if that player feels no affinity or loyalty to the fans and the club he represents he is nothing but a charlatan, a mercenary.

I love Ozil, but to be honest if the manager is more important to him than the fans and the club itself then .. loving Ozil will be much harder for me :(

Understand one thing: Ozil rejected David Moyes' ManU and PSG to come to Arsenal because he believed in Wenger's philosophy.

Now, consider this - wouldn't he be concerned who'd replace Wenger if he retires at the end of the season? He rejected Moyes because obviously, he didn't trust Moyes at ManU. And, he trusted Wenger's vision because, of course, Wenger is a superior manager but also has a history of assembling great teams in the past.

As a player, it's completely normal to behave in that manner. Let's say our board lose their mind and hire Roy Hodgson. If you're an Ozil or an Alexis, what would you feel? Precisely.

Conversely, if Simeone, Allegri, Klopp (wishful thinking), et al join Arsenal, both Ozil and Alexis would be okay with that.

I don't rate Moyes at all but it was the other way around.. Moyes was being vilified by the media and some United for not signing Ozil. He made it clear that he did not rate Ozil at all even if he was being pressured into buying him. Even some United fans had the same reservations about ozil like some of us, they were calling him overrated, hides in big games and too weak for the vigour of the EPL etc..

I don't think so. Moyes had no idea what he was doing at ManU. But the thing is, Woodward controls transfers at ManU. And he's always been the one for big names.

I don't think bigging up United or their entitled fans' opinion would serve as a veil to the biases against Ozil. Constructive criticism is fine; but to act like Ozil is a problem is defeating logic.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby diesel » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:42 pm

closed question time.

Has Ozil lived up to everyone's opinion since he signed? (none of this, "well in 2013/14 1st half yes, 2014/15" no bollx) just a straightforward yes or no.

For me, although I think he's an unbelievable talent and the closest technician since Lord Dennis..
...NO.

over to you guys.
diesel
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Fenice » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:51 pm

Yes.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Arsene Nose » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:52 pm

GoonerAlexis wrote:
Goonerz wrote:
NJ_Gunner wrote:People on here seriously comparing Iwobi to Özil? How delusional are some of you?

I think It's called having an opinion, every single person / fan has their own opinion when it comes to players. You don't expect everyone to just jump on the Ozil bandwagon just because his biggest fans say so. People watch football, look at formations, players, managers etc and come to different analysis / interpretations. That's the beauty of human nature. People are all different (Different tastes etc). :biggrin:

No

You don't get to hide this behind "opinion". Iwobi's a mediocre player that's only here because he's homegrown, no top 4 club would buy him

Named African Youth Player of the Year for 2016. That is no mean feat given the young talent in Africa at the moment. He's not mediocre.
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:16 pm

diesel wrote:closed question time.

Has Ozil lived up to everyone's opinion since he signed? (none of this, "well in 2013/14 1st half yes, 2014/15" no bollx) just a straightforward yes or no.

For me, although I think he's an unbelievable talent and the closest technician since Lord Dennis..
...NO.

over to you guys.

No

But still better than the rest of the shit, bar Sanchez
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsene Nose » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:51 pm

...NO.

over to you guys.

You live up to expectations, not opinions. And then too it depends what one's expectations are. He provided 19 assists last season, one shy of the league record. He did live up to my expectations.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Marsbar100 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:03 pm

Last season yes, other 3 no
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby diesel » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:27 pm

Arsene Nose wrote:

...NO.

over to you guys.

You live up to expectations, not opinions. And then too it depends what one's expectations are. He provided 19 assists last season, one shy of the league record. He did live up to my expectations.

Good build and challenge on my phraseology. Seriously. It's still a NO though from me. :naughty:
diesel
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Cripps » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:31 pm

Is he better than what he was at Real?

Yes

Therein lies my answer
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsene Nose » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:19 pm

diesel wrote:
Arsene Nose wrote:

...NO.

over to you guys.

Good build and challenge on my phraseology. Seriously. It's still a NO though from me. :naughty:

What were you expecting, out of curiosity?
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby rammixp » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:49 pm

Yes,

Has he blown me away like Sanchez, No, but he has met my expectations in being a core part of a our team and a dynamic attacking threat for us over the last 3 and a half seasons.
rammixp
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Goonerz » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:57 pm

Absolutely "NO".
Had a good half season 2015/16. But apart from that he has been the same old Ozil that is a follower.He is so so dependent on others. When the team plays well he plays well, when things are tough he curls into his shell (Goes into hiding)..
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby maxgunner » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:41 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:Last season yes, other 3 no

Too inconsistent, so no
maxgunner
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby diesel » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:57 pm

Arsene Nose wrote:
diesel wrote:
Arsene Nose wrote:

...NO.

over to you guys.

What were you expecting, out of curiosity?

To lift us to another level in a similar way that Dennis did, to inspire those around him to raise their games. Imo he hasn't done either of those although I will admit he has been sublime on occasions, he hasn't met my aforementioned expectations
diesel
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Santi » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:19 pm

i love how much time our fans spend criticising our 2nd best player, f**k me if our wingers were half his quality we'd be laughing.

i agree mesut hasn't dragged us like sanchez does but he's absolute quality and we should just be glad to have him here. We need to add more quality players and ditch some of the shit before moaning about ozil.
Santi
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club