The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (11)

Postby Marsbar100 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:56 pm

Ozil is obv more experienced and has more skill, iwobi does offer something different though
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Arsene Nose » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:59 pm

Only area I tip Iwobi is strength. As a number ten he shows very good strength in the box, holding the ball up and playing in players running in.
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby ThisIsNotAnID » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:00 pm

theHotHead wrote:
BS221B wrote:
Mike Dean wrote:
Mesüt wrote:Sanchez >>>>>>> Ozil & Wenger

as much as I love Mesut, if he's planting his flag in Wengerland then he can go with him.

Sanchez is gone if Ozil leaves.

He wont if we sell Ozil and buy one of his Chilean teammates.

Iwobi has shown he is better and more dynamic number 10 than Ozil anyway. Wouldnt mind if we buy Vargas.

How ?

This season:
Ozil - 22 starts, 9 goals, 6 assists.
Iwobi - 19 starts, 3 goals, 4 assists.

The stats suggest Iwobi is not better. Dynamic ? Iwobi is faster for sure, but I wouldn't necessarily say that makes him more dynamic, Ozil finds space for himself beautifully, his movement does not catch the eye, its more David Silva-like.

Why are you even trying to argue that Ozil is better than Iwobi?
It's actually insulting to Ozil.
ThisIsNotAnID

Postby RowdyRoddyPoppins » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:25 pm

It seems this guy only performs when we play teams Arsenal should (and mostly do) be beating anyway, even during the 'banter' era.

I love the guy but im sick off him going missing when we need him the most.
RowdyRoddyPoppins
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Angelito » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:30 pm

Praise Pablo wrote:It seems this guy only performs when we play teams Arsenal should (and mostly do) be beating anyway, even during the 'banter' era.

Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby gooney » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:34 pm

Praise Pablo wrote:It seems this guy only performs when we play teams Arsenal should (and mostly do) be beating anyway, even during the 'banter' era.

We are used to players carrying others, but he cant carry so many substandard players. We are not winning the league because of ozil. Without him and sanchez we scrapped against preston. You people dont realise how substand we are without those 2. we are basicallya southampton with ozil and sanchez
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:08 pm

Angelito wrote:

:1970_two_smileys_drinking_beer_together.gif:
Isn't it refreshing to see Ang, who is a big fan of Ozil to see things as they are Objectively than from rose tinted goggles ;) ?

Ozil is a prime example of a player who has unreal footballing abilities but fails to utilise them effectively and consistently in absolute pressure/crunch/physical situations. One should not call himself/herself a football fan if he does not appreciate Ozil's footballing talent but at the same time isn't it a footballing paradox that a player of his caliber is the first to deflate when put under the pump. This forum is a fantastic place to be because people at least majority of them are prepared to evaluate and reconsider their positions depending upon the changing scenarios.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby Goonerz » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:23 pm

Angelito wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
diesel wrote:Oh the reason he's here is wenger is it? Not the 60,000 mugs that sing his name, pay his wages and who suffer, come hell or high water for the club we love? Well, fvck off then and any player that doesn't want to give everything can fvck off as well. Ambition and passion to be successful for the badge and being frustrated when it doesn't happen I have no problem, but someone who is in any job only for his immediate manager and come to that an immediate manager who no longer has the ruthlessness or desire to be a true winner shows a lack of ambition and disrespect to my (our) club. They can both p*ss off.

I never really used to look at it like that but you are absolutely right; if a player is only here because of the manager, if that player feels no affinity or loyalty to the fans and the club he represents he is nothing but a charlatan, a mercenary.

I love Ozil, but to be honest if the manager is more important to him than the fans and the club itself then .. loving Ozil will be much harder for me :(

Understand one thing: Ozil rejected David Moyes' ManU and PSG to come to Arsenal because he believed in Wenger's philosophy.

Now, consider this - wouldn't he be concerned who'd replace Wenger if he retires at the end of the season? He rejected Moyes because obviously, he didn't trust Moyes at ManU. And, he trusted Wenger's vision because, of course, Wenger is a superior manager but also has a history of assembling great teams in the past.

As a player, it's completely normal to behave in that manner. Let's say our board lose their mind and hire Roy Hodgson. If you're an Ozil or an Alexis, what would you feel? Precisely.

Conversely, if Simeone, Allegri, Klopp (wishful thinking), et al join Arsenal, both Ozil and Alexis would be okay with that.

I don't rate Moyes at all but it was the other way around.. Moyes was being vilified by the media and some United for not signing Ozil. He made it clear that he did not rate Ozil at all even if he was being pressured into buying him. Even some United fans had the same reservations about ozil like some of us, they were calling him overrated, hides in big games and too weak for the vigour of the EPL etc..
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Goonerz » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:55 pm

theHotHead wrote:
BS221B wrote:
Mike Dean wrote:

as much as I love Mesut, if he's planting his flag in Wengerland then he can go with him.

Iwobi has shown he is better and more dynamic number 10 than Ozil anyway. Wouldnt mind if we buy Vargas.

How ?

This season:

The stats suggest Iwobi is not better. Dynamic ? Iwobi is faster for sure, but I wouldn't necessarily say that makes him more dynamic, Ozil finds space for himself beautifully, his movement does not catch the eye, its more David Silva-like.

The current 31 year old David Silva that has become an injury prone pensioner. But the 25 - 28 year old David Silva was a dominant attacking mid that hardly ever went hiding..
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:26 pm

ThisIsNotAnID wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
BS221B wrote:
Mike Dean wrote:

How ?

This season:

Why are you even trying to argue that Ozil is better than Iwobi?
It's actually insulting to Ozil.

I know, its because I am new here and I can't tell who is being serious or who is joking !! when I don't see an emoticon or something that tells me its a piss take I have to assume the person is serious. Now .. I will hang my head in shame for taking the post seriously ... I feel had ! :(
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby NJ_Gunner » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:26 pm

People on here seriously comparing Iwobi to Özil? How delusional are some of you?
NJ_Gunner
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Goonerz » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:23 pm

NJ_Gunner wrote:People on here seriously comparing Iwobi to Özil? How delusional are some of you?

I think It's called having an opinion, every single person / fan has their own opinion when it comes to players. You don't expect everyone to just jump on the Ozil bandwagon just because his biggest fans say so. People watch football, look at formations, players, managers etc and come to different analysis / interpretations. That's the beauty of human nature. People are all different (Different tastes etc). :biggrin:
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Santi » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:04 am

sometimes they're just stupid opinions doe
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby gooney » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:28 pm

NJ_Gunner wrote:People on here seriously comparing Iwobi to Özil? How delusional are some of you?

lool its so embarrassing. But this is Arsenal....always replace proven stars with kids with potential. It has worked for us well last 10 years
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:37 pm

Goonerz wrote:

I think It's called having an opinion, every single person / fan has their own opinion when it comes to players. You don't expect everyone to just jump on the Ozil bandwagon just because his biggest fans say so. People watch football, look at formations, players, managers etc and come to different analysis / interpretations. That's the beauty of human nature. People are all different (Different tastes etc). :biggrin:

No

You don't get to hide this behind "opinion". Iwobi's a mediocre player that's only here because he's homegrown, no top 4 club would buy him
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club