The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (11)

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:56 pm

Sanchez wants Wenger too
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:14 pm

doubt it
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby diesel » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:19 pm

Oh the reason he's here is wenger is it? Not the 60,000 mugs that sing his name, pay his wages and who suffer, come hell or high water for the club we love? Well, fvck off then and any player that doesn't want to give everything can fvck off as well. Ambition and passion to be successful for the badge and being frustrated when it doesn't happen I have no problem, but someone who is in any job only for his immediate manager and come to that an immediate manager who no longer has the ruthlessness or desire to be a true winner shows a lack of ambition and disrespect to my (our) club. They can both p*ss off.
diesel
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Mike Dean » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:44 pm

Mesüt wrote:Sanchez >>>>>>> Ozil & Wenger

as much as I love Mesut, if he's planting his flag in Wengerland then he can go with him.

Sanchez is gone if Ozil leaves.
Mike Dean
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby BS221B » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:18 pm

Mike Dean wrote:

as much as I love Mesut, if he's planting his flag in Wengerland then he can go with him.

He wont if we sell Ozil and buy one of his Chilean teammates.

Iwobi has shown he is better and more dynamic number 10 than Ozil anyway. Wouldnt mind if we buy Vargas.
BS221B
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Big Poppa » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:42 pm

Ozil is doing this because he knows that he can only function in teams built around him and that's the vision Wenger sold to get him here. He has carte blanche to express himself without tactical responsibilities and that's what he wants. The reality is he wasn't going to continue to get that liberty at a club like Real Madrid, and few other clubs so as soon as they made him available he walked.

for that reason I agree with you, both can go. We must however get suitable acquisitions, however I don't believe the club will have the balls to do anything other than bring in a yes man who sees Arsenal as a step up in his career.
Big Poppa
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby maxgunner » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:14 am

maxgunner
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Angelito » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:04 pm

Or, maybe he's scared as shit to see Eddie Howe (or someone of that ilk) come to Arsenal?

Mesüt wrote:doubt it

Don't.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:01 pm

gooney wrote:Arsenal is Wenger....without him we are basically an Everton. I have said many times Wenger made Arsenal what they are. without him we would be a boring shitty club from London

Rubbish ! Arsenal was Arsenal in the Terry Neil period and the Don Howe Period and the George Graham period. Arsenal will NEVER be Wenger. Shit boring football or not Arsenal is Arsenal.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby KG3 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:02 pm

theHotHead wrote:
gooney wrote:Arsenal is Wenger....without him we are basically an Everton. I have said many times Wenger made Arsenal what they are. without him we would be a boring shitty club from London

Rubbish ! Arsenal was Arsenal in the Terry Neil period and the Don Howe Period and the George Graham period. Arsenal will NEVER be Wenger. Shit boring football or not Arsenal is Arsenal.

Gotta say you picked a good username
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:08 pm

diesel wrote:Oh the reason he's here is wenger is it? Not the 60,000 mugs that sing his name, pay his wages and who suffer, come hell or high water for the club we love? Well, fvck off then and any player that doesn't want to give everything can fvck off as well. Ambition and passion to be successful for the badge and being frustrated when it doesn't happen I have no problem, but someone who is in any job only for his immediate manager and come to that an immediate manager who no longer has the ruthlessness or desire to be a true winner shows a lack of ambition and disrespect to my (our) club. They can both p*ss off.

I never really used to look at it like that but you are absolutely right; if a player is only here because of the manager, if that player feels no affinity or loyalty to the fans and the club he represents he is nothing but a charlatan, a mercenary.

I love Ozil, but to be honest if the manager is more important to him than the fans and the club itself then .. loving Ozil will be much harder for me :(
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby coach8smallball » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:10 pm

ozil's quote was taken out of context.....big surprise....
cheers!
--tank
coach8smallball
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Angelito » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:13 pm

theHotHead wrote:
diesel wrote:Oh the reason he's here is wenger is it? Not the 60,000 mugs that sing his name, pay his wages and who suffer, come hell or high water for the club we love? Well, fvck off then and any player that doesn't want to give everything can fvck off as well. Ambition and passion to be successful for the badge and being frustrated when it doesn't happen I have no problem, but someone who is in any job only for his immediate manager and come to that an immediate manager who no longer has the ruthlessness or desire to be a true winner shows a lack of ambition and disrespect to my (our) club. They can both p*ss off.

I never really used to look at it like that but you are absolutely right; if a player is only here because of the manager, if that player feels no affinity or loyalty to the fans and the club he represents he is nothing but a charlatan, a mercenary.

I love Ozil, but to be honest if the manager is more important to him than the fans and the club itself then .. loving Ozil will be much harder for me :(

Understand one thing: Ozil rejected David Moyes' ManU and PSG to come to Arsenal because he believed in Wenger's philosophy.

Now, consider this - wouldn't he be concerned who'd replace Wenger if he retires at the end of the season? He rejected Moyes because obviously, he didn't trust Moyes at ManU. And, he trusted Wenger's vision because, of course, Wenger is a superior manager but also has a history of assembling great teams in the past.

As a player, it's completely normal to behave in that manner. Let's say our board lose their mind and hire Roy Hodgson. If you're an Ozil or an Alexis, what would you feel? Precisely.

Conversely, if Simeone, Allegri, Klopp (wishful thinking), et al join Arsenal, both Ozil and Alexis would be okay with that.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:29 pm

BS221B wrote:
Mike Dean wrote:

He wont if we sell Ozil and buy one of his Chilean teammates.

Iwobi has shown he is better and more dynamic number 10 than Ozil anyway. Wouldnt mind if we buy Vargas.

How ?

This season:
Ozil - 22 starts, 9 goals, 6 assists.
Iwobi - 19 starts, 3 goals, 4 assists.

The stats suggest Iwobi is not better. Dynamic ? Iwobi is faster for sure, but I wouldn't necessarily say that makes him more dynamic, Ozil finds space for himself beautifully, his movement does not catch the eye, its more David Silva-like.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Pudpop » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:52 pm

Ozil is faster than Iwobi over any distance longer than 10m
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club