29/09/15 | Arsenal 2-3 Olympiacos | Champions League

Re: 29/09/15 | Arsenal vs Olympiacos | Champions League

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:41 pm

Cripps wrote:His body language said different.

Yup!

His body language said it all, the way we let in a goal less than a minute after his, his face reflected all the anger, shock and horror at that
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby Fenice » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:56 pm

NJ_Gunner wrote:
Cripps wrote:Anyone notice Sanchezs reaction to conceding the third goal last night?

Enjoy him while you can. He's gone in the summer if not January.

No chance he leaves in January and I doubt he leaves in the Summer.

Been worried about it for a while now. I honestly believe he will not stick around if we continue our trend of poor performances. He won't stay for the FA Cup.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:27 pm

110 teams have lost their opening two games in the group phase since the Champions League started; only nine of those managed to qualify for the knockout stage. That suggests Arsenal – beaten 3-2 at home by Olympiakos on Tuesday – now have roughly an 8% chance of qualifying (though that can probably be revised to 2%, considering they play Bayern Munich in their next two games). The teams who pulled themselves out of their groups despite poor starts were Dynamo Kiev (1999-2000), Newcastle (02-03), Bayer Leverkusen (02-03), Werder Bremen (05-06), Internazionale (06-07), Lyon (07-08), Panathinaikos (08-09), Marseille (10-11) and Galatasaray (12-13).

The number of goals Arsenal have conceded in three of their last four Champions League home games: losing 3-2 to Olympiakos; 3-1 to Monaco last season on 25 February; and drawing 3-3 with Anderlecht on 4 November.

The last time a Greek team scored three times away from home against an English club – AEK Athens beating Derby 3-2 on 3 November 1976 in the Uefa Cup. AEK went on to reach the semi-finals, where they were beaten 5-1 by Juventus.

The number of away games against English sides Olympiakos had lost before beating Arsenal on Tuesday – 12 defeats out of 12 matches.

The number of goals the Greek side had scored in England in their previous visits – spread over the last 50 years (starting against West Ham in the 1965-66 Cup Winners’ Cup). They scored three in a 33-minute spell at the Emirates.

The number of Champions League games Olympiakos have lost in total – only Porto have lost more in the competition (51). Before Tuesday Olympiakos had won only five of their previous 52 away from home.

But Arsenal are, at least, on trend. English clubs have suffered five defeats in the group stage this season, after six games. That is more than during the whole of the group stages in 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2007-08, 2008-09 and 2010-11.

(English defeats in group stages per season: 2003-04 Group Stage 4; 2004-05 Group Stage 4; 2005-06 Group Stage 3; 2006-07 Group Stage 5; 2007-08 Group Stage 3; 2008-09 Group Stage 2; 2009-10 Group Stage 5; 2010-11 Group Stage 4; 2011-12 Group Stage 5; 2012-13 Group Stage 9; 2013-14 Group Stage 5; 2014-15 Group Stage 6; 2015-16 Group Stage 5)

The number of goals Robert Lewandowski has now scored in his last three games for Bayern Munich – Arsenal’s next opponents. Bayern scored four in their first 28 minutes on Tuesday against Dinamo Zagreb – and have now managed five or more in a Champions League game in each of the last five seasons. All eyes on David Ospina.
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby rammixp » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:59 pm

I saw the following post on a facebook comment to Per article about last night performance from a fan. I thought it was a great example of how I feel without getting personal its fair, constructive and points out succinctly where we are:

I have supported this team for 46 years and have seen players and managers come and go; NONE of them are bigger than the club.

Last night I made the long journey home from the Emirates on train and car and eventually got into bed at 1am. I awoke to the alarm at 5.20 and now face a day at work tired and depressed. Sadly it is not the first time our performance has been so sub-standard in the last few years, of course I have seen worse, in the 80's things were dire until George Graham came and we of course have been under achieving for the last 10 years.

What hurts most is the way this team doesn't seem to learn, they continually put in this sort of performance against supposed weaker teams; they lack concentration and effort in defense focusing all on attack, but not effective attacking, they pass teams to death and continually cut inside when there are opportunities to get behind defenses out wide.

WE fans get frustrated , not because we lose games, but because we know they are capable of so much more. With good organisation teams can achieve more than their individual players would suggets possible, sadly we consistently achieve less than the sum of our parts. Why is this? It must come from the manager; a man who is so convinced of his beliefs and philosophy he seems to go out his way to be perverse to try to prove all the critics wrong. Sadly his obstinacy time and time again proves his critics right.

The team does need better cover at DM and we do need a new striker but more important than any of this we need leadership, and that starts at the top. Mr Wenger either change your ways or go, I would rather fail trying something different with a new manager than consistently feel like I do this morning after yet another game where we flatter to deceive playing pretty but what is essentially ineffective complacent football.
rammixp
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby gooney » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:08 pm

Sanchez will leave this summer imo. If people think a world class competitor is gonna settle for this, then they are deluding themselves
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby 22-0 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:10 pm

GoonerAlexis wrote:
Cripps wrote:His body language said different.

Yup!

His body language said it all, the way we let in a goal less than a minute after his, his face reflected all the anger, shock and horror at that

havent seen his face but im sure it looked like Rvps.
22-0
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby realtalk » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:26 pm

Get rid of santi in midfield. He has'nt had one top european display.His legs are gone.He's literaaly arteta at this stage. No drives forward,not creative just side ways & easy passes. low contribution .He only plays well when everyone else is. When everyones busting a gut and he can chip in.Not one amazing showcase in europe how long he been here.We used to beat dortmunds,marsellies,napoli with arteta,rambo,song and ozil. Now we get beat by olympiakos, zagrebs,monacos. playing coq,santi,ozil.People have the nerve to say this our best midfield the most stable ,santi is our best cm.f***ing comedy gold.

The midfield does'nt work.Santi's distrubution is a myth always was. Nice twirls here and there dont cut it with poor performances.Cant even link up Ozil its f***ing shambles.Thats why ozil goes ghost he has no link up play. Poor first half against zagreb & now olympiakos at home. We have gotten defensively weaker most of our games are now 50-50 up & down games no control.Coq is running around playng b2b doing decoy runs forward to allow santi on the ball all whilst being out of position.How you order your dm to play b2b and leave gaps in our midfield.Just to support a guys ageing legs.

Reminds me of the time we forced arteta in the team to accomadate his aged legs.Song was ordered to play b2b to cover territory & artetas poor creative ability. Without rambo & alexis the wengerball sytem falls apart.Because rambo & alexis energy is needed to play high up the pitch. Because ozil & santi cant press to comptent level needed. Playing santi dlp allows wengerball to exist.But facts are he aint pirlo and the system just cripples everyones game.Ozil is isolated without rambos runs and link up play. Ozil ends up ghost because ghost & spends most his time offside because the overlapping playing style clashes. Just kill it its failed for 18 years now.Its the player will to win that has let this keep working .But that times up. We have players for the right positions now no need to shoehorn 1000 midfielders when you stil cant even control the game with that many cms. All its doing is making veryone play below standard.Players will stop accept playing out of position all but soon.

You peopel can argue all you want since we have moved santi to cm our CL performances have gone downhill.He has'nt put out one great performance in europe.Seriously at this stage I would happily go back to arteta,rambo & ozil. At least we know that shit performs & wins game with giroud up top. You would think adding sanchez & coq we would refine 13-14 team.Instead its back to failure wengerball system.

As for bayern we turn up tactically ready the right team selection we can get a draw. We turn up with wengerball system comfortably Bayern 3-0 win.Pep does'nt change his playing style much ,but he preps his team defensively especially on weak link players in opposition set up. Tactics a thing not in wengers coaching agenda. Sad stuff 90% are problems is team selection.The easiet thing to do yet manager struggles.2 more years of this underperforming shite what a waste of the talent we have.
realtalk
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Sims » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:48 pm

I think Cazorla has never scored in the Champions League
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Santi » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:50 pm

He hasn't for us at least, 32 games or something :)
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby ThugLife » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:00 pm

I dislike Mourhino with a passion and I was extremely irritated when he attacked Wenger last week, but I have to agree with the substance of what he said. Pretty much every manager in world football is under immense pressure to deliver and is often held to account ruthlessly, except Wenger. He is literally accountable to no one, and for nothing. Even if we missed out on a top 4 spot they'd still find a way to let him continue managing.

When you feel zero accountability (which is also reflected in his comments that he doesn't "owe" anyone an explanation for his team selection and tactics), you perform inconsistently. I'm outraged he keeps getting away with it. I don't want him to get sacked, but he must be accountable to the football club; he is not bigger than Arsenal.
ThugLife
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby gooney » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:26 pm

realtalk wrote:Get rid of santi in midfield. He has'nt had one top european display.His legs are gone.He's literaaly arteta at this stage. No drives forward,not creative just side ways & easy passes. low contribution .He only plays well when everyone else is. When everyones busting a gut and he can chip in.Not one amazing showcase in europe how long he been here.We used to beat dortmunds,marsellies,napoli with arteta,rambo,song and ozil. Now we get beat by olympiakos, zagrebs,monacos. playing coq,santi,ozil.People have the nerve to say this our best midfield the most stable ,santi is our best cm.f***ing comedy gold.

The midfield does'nt work.Santi's distrubution is a myth always was. Nice twirls here and there dont cut it with poor performances.Cant even link up Ozil its f***ing shambles.Thats why ozil goes ghost he has no link up play. Poor first half against zagreb & now olympiakos at home. We have gotten defensively weaker most of our games are now 50-50 up & down games no control.Coq is running around playng b2b doing decoy runs forward to allow santi on the ball all whilst being out of position.How you order your dm to play b2b and leave gaps in our midfield.Just to support a guys ageing legs.

Reminds me of the time we forced arteta in the team to accomadate his aged legs.Song was ordered to play b2b to cover territory & artetas poor creative ability. Without rambo & alexis the wengerball sytem falls apart.Because rambo & alexis energy is needed to play high up the pitch. Because ozil & santi cant press to comptent level needed. Playing santi dlp allows wengerball to exist.But facts are he aint pirlo and the system just cripples everyones game.Ozil is isolated without rambos runs and link up play. Ozil ends up ghost because ghost & spends most his time offside because the overlapping playing style clashes. Just kill it its failed for 18 years now.Its the player will to win that has let this keep working .But that times up. We have players for the right positions now no need to shoehorn 1000 midfielders when you stil cant even control the game with that many cms. All its doing is making veryone play below standard.Players will stop accept playing out of position all but soon.

You peopel can argue all you want since we have moved santi to cm our CL performances have gone downhill.He has'nt put out one great performance in europe.Seriously at this stage I would happily go back to arteta,rambo & ozil. At least we know that shit performs & wins game with giroud up top. You would think adding sanchez & coq we would refine 13-14 team.Instead its back to failure wengerball system.

As for bayern we turn up tactically ready the right team selection we can get a draw. We turn up with wengerball system comfortably Bayern 3-0 win.Pep does'nt change his playing style much ,but he preps his team defensively especially on weak link players in opposition set up. Tactics a thing not in wengers coaching agenda. Sad stuff 90% are problems is team selection.The easiet thing to do yet manager struggles.2 more years of this underperforming shite what a waste of the talent we have.

The problem we have is not getting rid of Santi in the middle. The sad fact is he is the best option of flawed midfielders we have. we dont have one allround central midfielder at the club. Wilshere is injury prone, Ramsey is tactically inept and too selfish, Santi is too slow and weak. Every argument we have about arsenals problem and there are many problems come down to one thing. The manager who makes the decision. This is the man who cant see the flaws every fan can see. So its really weird that people come to solutions we should make when the man making them dont see it. We did not bid for 1 midfielder this summer ebcause he was happy with his midfield. Arteta/Flamini/Rosicky and Cazorla is in their 30s. All have slowed down. I think Santi is a brilliant technician who we could get a lot of. But I dont care how talented you are......Put Pirlo next to Arteta and play gun ho football and lets see how well he does. If you put Santi in the middle its ebcause you think his technique and vision is huge strength. Fair enough.....give him the conditions to get the best of him. To expect Santi to do a box to box job is naive at best
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Cripps » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:46 pm

Dixon and Keane rip us apart and rightly so.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:12 am

I think as a CM Ramsey could be a better option than Cazorla in the CL. Just a thought.

In the Prem, Santi's technique is vastly superior to others', but in the CL - where the competition is tight - we could do with Ramsey's energy. Except Mr Manager, please tell him to stop playing as a false #9. k.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Witty Futty » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:20 am

I don't think we played that bad against Olympiacos. We had like 8 shots on goals and scored 2 goals, they had 4 shots, and scored 3 goals. This means, they were lucky. There is a big chance of not qualifying to the next round in Champions League now, but in the end, this might prove useful.
Interested in football/soccer?

Than check out my blog called Witty Futty
Witty Futty
Michael Thomas

Postby Sims » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:40 am

You make your own luck
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2015-16