29/09/15 | Arsenal 2-3 Olympiacos | Champions League

Re: 29/09/15 | Arsenal vs Olympiacos | Champions League

Postby gooney » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:30 am

Im still amazed that a team that put so much effort in getting a goal concede 20 secs after scoring. I mean its basically U10 level of immaturity.. Same thing happened with Monaco. 15 seconds after we scored one of their players had free shot at the edge of our penalty area with nearest Arsenal player being 10 yards of him. 15 seconds after kick off......its so embarrassing
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby billie86 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:12 am

At the end of the day I have said this before and I will say it again, all we do in the CL is make up the numbers, we are no more likely to win it than Zagreb or Olympiakos. If we qualify for the Europa at least we have a chance at it, on the other hand we could rest our big players in the CL and focus all our attention on the League if we are serious about it, surely it would up our chances at the business end of the season not having the distraction and extra matches.

In regards to last nights match, Ospina was at fault for the 2nd obviously, the 1st and 3rd goals were down to our defence and midfield. You don't let a player have a free shot from the edge of the area and for the 3rd (bellerin in particularly) you can't let a player walk round you like you aren't there. Bellerin was atrocious last night, on a plus sanchez looked world class again.
billie86
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Angelito » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:27 am

Meh. Saw this coming. Thought it'd be a draw. Ended up being a loss.

Don't care about the CL either way. Prem it is.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Cripps » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:05 am

Anyone notice Sanchezs reaction to conceding the third goal last night?

Enjoy him while you can. He's gone in the summer if not January.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Tony Montana » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:21 am

Ancelottiiii
WENGER OUT!
Tony Montana
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Royal Gooner » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:30 am

That second goal never crossed the line.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby 49Gunners49 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:20 am

Went to the game, row 5 - North Bank, way too close to the pitch in this instance, eyes were stinging from the pure shiteness i witnessed on that pitch.

Ospina - Legit i don't think he made a save - either ball flew past him into the net or he insisted on fumbling the ball across his own line like he had lubricated polo's for hands.

Gibbs - Shouldn't have started, not his old self that used to bomb down the wings and create opportunity. Resulted to a Ryan Shawcross approach of thumping the ball down the pitch at every chance. Exploited with a through ball for Olympiakos final goal.

Koscielny/Gabriel - Good defending on 50/50 and aerial balls, woeful defending/closing down of the ball during corners - shared blame for the first goal and the last.

Bellerin - One of his worst games - exploited multiple times - out of position - as a result Oxlade way to deep to cover Bellerins poor play.

All in all poor defending, no alertness, no urgency full backs ineffective and closing down of the ball a complete shambles.

Alexis - The only guy in my opinion deserving any sort of kudos for his performance. Dribbled well, assisted with the the first and scored the second Arsenal goals.

Coquelin - Not a great game, part to blame for poor closing down of the first goal conceded. No evidence of bossing the midfield at all which in my opinion a CDM should be doing. Minimum requirements should be solidness in front of the defence and ablity to distribute even simple passes to set up a counter attack

Cazorla - Also not his usual self. His quick footwork, acceleration and vision not demonstrated. Trying to play the Hollywood pass at every opportunity - i think only one attempt was successful. No drive to exploit Olympiakos' back line.

Ozil - Piss poor, always on the deck - barged off the ball too easy. 90% of passes misplaced.

No urgency or dominance in the midfield - side to side passes, very little attempt to drive at pace at the back line. The issue is that very little was offered attacking wise, you would expect that we would at least be solid defensively as a result of this lack of attacking desire - (but no 3 goals conceded).

Walcott - Lucky with goal tbf - poor keeping - good chip to Alexis for the 2nd. One thing i noticed with Theo is his attacking position and making himself available which i think isn't great - potentially a reason for Ozil et al poor pass completion. For example take Alexis' typical position to pick up the ball Left wing 10-15 ft from the corner of the box. Theo is not known for his fantastic heading ability so why the f**k is he standing in the vicinity of the penalty spot next to two 6ft plus centre halfs! Either make the run (as for the first goal) or drop short pick the ball up at feet, turn and have a pop - i just don't see these types of runs often enough and despite Theo being on scoring form any improvement to the above would only at fuel to his fire.
49Gunners49
Patrick Vieira

Postby 49Gunners49 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:23 am

Missed Chambo - Could have done better with his shot that hit the side netting. As already said spent a lot of his energy and time covering Bellerin.
49Gunners49
Patrick Vieira

Postby Santi » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:37 am

Royal Gooner wrote:That second goal never crossed the line.

Obviously but that doesn't really matter.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Nejch » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:39 am

I've just now noticed we had 70% possession. 70%.
Abysmal.
Nejch
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby RowdyRoddyPoppins » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:46 am

They scored 3 goals.

at the once mighty home of the once mighty Arsenal.
RowdyRoddyPoppins
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:53 am

Nejch wrote:I've just now noticed we had 70% possession. 70%.
Abysmal.

Possession without purpose.

Wenger destroyed Wengerball; we now play a slow, laboured, square ball passing game without any pace, incision or penetration.

One of my biggest gripes is the decline of our of football; we used to be exciting, now we're often soporific. Dire stuff all round. Zzzzz.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby greengoonerie » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:06 pm

oneteaminwalthamstow wrote:That is annoying.

I've just come here to vent. Apologies to those who have already read many similar posts.

I two major pet peevs when it comes to Arsenal's defending.

The first is that the entire Arsenal team should never form one back line and leave opposition midfield players free just outside the box. The defenders should be trusted to do their job and the midfielders should pick up the opposition midfielders. Otherwise the ball in to the box wiill be defended and fall to an opposition midfielder who will have time and space to shoot.

The second is that players on the edge of the box should be closed down more quickly.

I think Olympicaos's first goal could be attributed to the second problem, and their third goal can be attributed to the first problem. The problem was compounded on their third goal because, after most of the Arsenal defenders had formed an impenetrable wall on the edge of the six-yard box, five of the six players all ran to the ball (under-12s style) leaving the Olympicaos goal scorer in a completely open position. Surely they must be taught that this isn't a good idea.

I am a staunch Arsene Wenger supporter, he's put the club in the position to compete (at least in transfer fees) with the best in the world so he deserves his chance to use the money in the way he sees fit. But can somebody tell me, please, that he coaches midfielders to NOT drop so deep that they are in line with the centre backs, and that they MUST close the ball down quickly when the opposition is in possession around the final third.

And breath...

Welcome.

Sorry for this and I respect your support of a man who has failed this club badly for almost 10 years now and is gradually moving Arsenal furhter and further from Europe's football elite, season by season.

Sadly, Wenger doens't coach players. He is on record as saying that he wants them "to work it out for themselves". so your points above will NEVER, i repeat NEVER be addressed.

This means that Wenger believes that thick footballers are expected to learn from their mistakes. 99.9% of footballers don't learn by self analysis or introspection as they are neither intelligent enough or attentive enough to do that.

99.9% of footballers expect to be taught by their manager or coach or both. In Arsenal the manager/coach/etc is Arsene Wenger.

Wenger teaches people nothing. Nada.

Ergo, Groundhog day.

TBJ. the ONLY thing which will remove Arsene is fans removing themselves from all things Official Arsenal FC. When the board stop getting millions in revenue from the fans, then and only then will we see change.
greengoonerie
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby NJ_Gunner » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:18 pm

Cripps wrote:Anyone notice Sanchezs reaction to conceding the third goal last night?

Enjoy him while you can. He's gone in the summer if not January.

No chance he leaves in January and I doubt he leaves in the Summer.
NJ_Gunner
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Cripps » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:36 pm

His body language said different.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2015-16